Moncler Jackets

triniboy27

Was in Tokyo/Kyoto/Mie at the end of last year/beginning of this year.

Every other Japanese guy was wearing Moncler.

But here in the US? I don't believe I've seen a single jacket, especially in the Midwest. And given the lack of actual testimonials by people here on this board, I'm not so sure it's played out.

I'm just curious if the quality warrants the price.

Was in Tokyo/Kyoto/Mie at the end of last year/beginning of this year.

Every other Japanese guy was wearing Moncler.

But here in the US? I don't believe I've seen a single jacket, especially in the Midwest. And given the lack of actual testimonials by people here on this board, I'm not so sure it's played out.

I'm just curious if the quality warrants the price.

It's played out by a crowd that doesn't correlate with those who read this board. The people that wear Moncler are the same that wear Polo or Lacoste with faded bootcut jeans and Tod's. At least that's how it is in Vienna.

The quality of the jackets is decent but you can do better for the price. They are not bad jackets per se, but they have acquired an iconography that I do not want to be seen in.

to actually answer your question, they fit slightly small IMO. I wear a M (sz. 40/50) in virtually all outerwear, but I wear a sz. 4/L/52 in Moncler. I do, however, have unusually broad shoulders. Also, with the exception of the Karakourum (sp?) which has two rows of buttons, you'll find that although they tend small, they don't actually tend 'slim.'

Hope this helps.

my favorite Moncler item i ever saw was the F/W 05-06 Y's by Yohji X Moncler jackets...just for the sheer humor in that statement of a jacket. It's just a black moncler jacket with a glossy exterior, like any other moncler jacket...but instead of 'moncler' badge there was a 'y's yohji yamamoto' badge on it. And the jacket was like $1,500 (a regular moncler, after discounts is probably $300 or so). I remember lookin fresh as hell tryin it on in the store, with a black wool hoodie w/ white snowflake print, Dior orange overdyes, and german armys. For a minute i actually thought i was kanye...haha

I hear the japanese kids are moving onto Duvetica down jackets.

300 bucks for down vests

jackets are a lot more

what country is that brand from?

as soon as i move back to hong kong, there will no longer be any need for me to wear a down jacket, and i can retire my 8 year old Prada Sport (finally.) After that it's strictly grown man coats for me, none of that puffy casual/hip business.

I am pretty sure Moncler is not italian. it's french and it's been around for a long time, they make great functional jackets.

Moncler is French brand. Their stuff has been popular in the European market for a long time now, among the rich but Eurotrashy crowd. They make a lot of functional ski and apres skiwear, and if you can picture the type of people hanging out in a lodge after skiing, wearing big sunglasses and tans, you've got yourself a very typical Moncler customer.

Personally, I don't think that the price and quality correlate. If you want to go the puffy jacket route, Ciesse offers stuff in a very similar style for considerably less.

I've got three of the Watanabe ones (I got them all at very heavy discount) and I like em, especially in the cold weather. I've only ever seen one other person wearing one in London, so I don't think they're "played out", but if I saw a tonne of salmon pink shirt-wearing sloanes in them I guess I'd change my mind. The shiny straight Moncler ones are a no-no though, I'd say.

Anyway, the fit seems to depend on which model it is, but two of the three come up a little on the small side. The quality's excellent on all of them - one's 2-3 years old now and it's hardly lost any of its stuffing.

Oh, and yeah, it's a French company, as one might guess from the name and the great big cockerel on the label.

• 1 year later...