Movie Discussion

soundune

Hehehe I just found my list of top 20 films from each decade. This list was made 2 years ago, and my taste has changed quite a lot, but here I go. I'll do a renewed one (with descriptions, like Fuuma's) when I have time.

01 Ta'm e guilass (1997) by Abbas Kiarostami, Iran (A Taste of Cherry)

02 Chong qing sen lin (1994) by Kar Wai Wong, Hong Kong (Chungking Express)

03 Hana-bi (1997) by Takeshi Kitano, Japan (Fireworks)

04 Nema-ye Nazdik (1990) by Abbas Kiarostami, Iran (Close-up)

05 Love Letter (1995) by Shunji Iwai, Japan

06 La Double vie de Véronique (1991) by Krzysztof Kieslowski, Poland (The Double Life of Veronique)

07 Rushmore (1998) by Wes Anderson, USA

08 Dead Man (1995) by Jim Jarmusch, USA

09 Cheun gwong tsa sit (1997) by Kar Wai Wong, Hong Kong (Happy Together)

10 The Big Lebowski (1998) by Coen brothers, USA

11 Pikunikku (1996) by Shunji Iwai, Japan (Picnic)

12 The Virgin Suicides (1999) by Sofia Coppola, USA

13 Kauas pilvet karkaavat (1996) by Aki Kaurismäki, Finland (Drifting Clouds)

14 Posutoman burusu (1997) by Hiroyuki Tanaka (Sabu), Japan (Postman Blues)

15 Todo sobre mi madre (1999) by Pedro Almodóvar, Spain (All About My Mother)

16 Sonatine (1993) by Takeshi Kitano, Japan

17 Pulp Fiction (1994) by Quentin Tarantino, USA

18 Hamlet (1996) by Kenneth Branagh, UK

19 La Haine (1995) by Mathieu Kassovitz, France (Hate)

20 Underground (1995) by Emir Kusturica, Yugoslavia

01 L'argent (1983) by Robert Bresson, France (Money)

02 Paris, Texas (1984) by Wim Wenders, West Germany

03 Nostalghia (1983) by Andrei Tarkovsky, Soviet Union

04 Le rayon vert (1986) by Eric Rohmer, France (The Green Ray)

05 Henry V (1989) by Kenneth Branagh, UK

06 Full Metal Jacket (1987) by Stanley Kubrick, USA

07 Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) by Woody Allen, USA

08 Ambavi Suramis tsikhitsa (1984) by Sergei Parajanov, Soviet Union (The Legend of the Suram Fortress)

09 Stranger Than Paradise (1984) by Jim Jarmusch, USA

10 Kagemusha (1980) by Akira Kurosawa, Japan

11 Hannah and Her Sisters (1986) by Woody Allen, USA

12 Down by Law (1986) by Jim Jarmusch, USA

13 Blood Simple. (1984) by Coen Brothers, USA

14 Jean de Florette & Manon des sources (1986) by Claude Berri, France

15 Die Sehnsucht der Veronika Voss (1982) by Rainer Werner Fassbinder, West Germany (Veronika Voss)

16 A Zed & Two Noughts (1985) by Peter Greenaway, UK

17 Kaze no tani no Naushika (1984) by Hayao Miyazaki, Japan (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Winds)

18 Le dernier métro (1980) by François Truffaut, France (The Last Metro)

19 Blade Runner (1982) by Ridley Scott, USA

20 Airplane! (1980) by Zucker brothers, USA

01 Zerkalo (1975) by Andrei Tarkovsky, Soviet Union (The Mirror)

02 Le diable probablement (1977) by Robert Bresson, France (The Devil Probably)

03 Le charme discret de la bourgeoisie (1972) by Luis Buñuel, France (The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie)

04 Le fantôme de la liberté (1974) by Luis Buñuel, France (The Phantom of Liberty)

05 Lancelot du Lac (1974) by Robert Bresson, France (Lancelot of the Lake)

06 Tristana (1970) by Luis Buñuel, France

07 Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes (1972) by Werner Herzog, West Germany (Aguirre: The Wrath of God)

08 Annie Hall (1977) by Woody Allen, USA

09 Apocalypse Now (1979) by Francis Ford Coppola, USA

10 Love and Death (1975) by Woody Allen, USA

11 Le genou de Claire (1970) by Eric Rohmer, France (Claire's Knee)

12 Catch-22 (1970) by Mike Nichols, USA

13 Angst essen Seele auf (1974) by Rainer Werner Fassbinder, West Germany (Ali: Fear Eats the Soul)

14 Cet obscur objet du désir (1977) by Luis Buñuel, France (That Obscure Object of Desire)

15 Solyaris (1972) by Andrei Tarkovsky, Soviet Union (Solaris)

16 Le cercle rouge (1970) by Jean-Pierre Melville, France (The Red Circle)

17 Manhattan (1979) by Woody Allen, USA

18 Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) by Monty Python, UK

19 Eraserhead (1977) by David Lynch, USA

20 Chinatown (1974) by Roman Polanski, USA

01 Au hasard Balthazar (1966) by Robert Bresson, France

02 8½ (1963) by Federico Fellini, Italy

03 Andrey Rublyov (1969) by Andrei Tarkovsky, Soviet Union (Andrei Rublev)

04 L'avventura (1960) by Michelangelo Antonioni, Italy

05 El Ãngel exterminador (1962) by Luis Buñuel, Mexico (The Exterminating Angel)

06 À bout de souffle (1960) by Jean-Luc Godard, France (Breathless)

07 Mouchette (1967) by Robert Bresson, France

08 Persona (1966) by Ingmar Bergman, Sweden

09 Viridiana (1961) by Luis Buñuel, Mexico

10 Masculin, féminin: 15 faits précis (1966) by Jean-Luc Godard, France (Masculine-Feminine)

11 Week End (1967) by Jean-Luc Godard, France

12 Nattvardsgästerna (1963) by Ingmar Bergman, Sweden (Winter Light)

13 L'eclisse (1962) by Michelangelo Antonioni, Italy (Eclipse)

14 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) by Stanley Kubrick, USA

15 Alphaville, une étrange aventure de Lemmy Caution (1965) by Jean-Luc Godard, France (Alphaville)

16 Belle de jour (1967) by Luis Buñuel, France

17 Kohayagawa-ke no aki (1961) by Yasujiro Ozu, Japan (The End of Summer)

18 Pierrot le fou (1965) by Jean-Luc Godard, France

19 Skammen (1968) by Ingmar Bergman, Sweden (Shame)

20 Vivre sa vie: Film en douze tableaux (1962) by Jean-Luc Godard, France (My Life to Live)

^

Nope... just a film director wannabe (never made anything yet).

I've never studied film at a film school and don't intend to, because firstly, I already know too much, secondly, I feel like I wouldn't be able to truly enjoy films if I have to start analyzing them for my grades or whatever, and lastly, what I aim to achieve goes against all the commercial film aesthetics, and I don't need any insider connections and shit. I love films more than anything else, and I will make one only when I really feel like I have something that has to be shown and in an original way; never to make money. Until then, I'll just live on... playing with my crappy video camera, and experiencing life or whatever...

I asked because you list some films that are neither popular or available to people that are not seriously interested in film.

I also never went to any film school but I have a privilege of my family being very closely involved with few aspects of film making. That kind of gave me a different perspective of judging films and also gives me a chance of seeing many exceptional movies. I agree with you about film school, I know few people that went to great schools around the world and at the end they regretted all the time wasted not making movies. Good luck with your video camera.

And your film of the day is one of my favorites:

"What is your religion? I believe in the inspirations of conscience."

I just realized this week that Godard quotes the french translation of Hamlet in Alphaville, just wanted to share that with the (very few) people that might be interested.

"Dormir, rêver peut-être" = "To sleep: perchance to dream" from the

His movies contains so many references to other works of art that you're endlessly discovering something new.

13 Kauas pilvet karkaavat (1996) by Aki Kaurismäki, Finland (Drifting Clouds)

08 Ambavi Suramis tsikhitsa (1984) by Sergei Parajanov, Soviet Union (The Legend of the Suram Fortress)

I'm interested in hearing what you hve to say about these three movies. I think the latest Kaurismaki I saw was "match factory girl" (sp), I should really check out his newer works, he's amazingly good but I tend to overlook him.

Nice Alphaville quotes everyone :) It's about time for me to give it a rewatch.

Fuuma have you seen all three of them already? or are you asking because you haven't seen them yet? I'll be really brief, because I don't trust my memory and it's been a while since I've last watched those :) Also, I'll try to be general and go over some points you probably know already, so that some of the other sufu members can follow.

13 Kauas pilvet karkaavat (1996) by Aki Kaurismaki, Finland (Drifting Clouds)

Yet another simple tale delivered with unique deadpan style by Aki Kaurismaki. The acting in his films is always deadpan yet has a feel of surefireness in the deliveries, which often creates awkward hilarity. I think the acting influence comes from Robert Bresson, and the style is definitely similar, but used for totally different effect. While Bresson is going for something much more profound, Kaurismaki seems to apply the technique for comic effect and emotional subtlety. I'm a fan of such style, so it worked for me here too since Kaurismaki gets everything else right as well.

I have to say I really like him for his masterful portrayal of humble and innocent lifestyle, and for never getting too serious. I've only seen three films of his; The Match Factory Girl, The Man Without a Past, and this. I really enjoyed TMWAP and this, but not as much on The Match Factory Girl, because the cruelties depicted in the film kinda broke the fine balance he had between making me feel sad and making me laugh out loud; it was just plain sad.

Watching Parajanov is like looking at a picture book composed of early of pre-Renaissance paintings, simply because the whole film is framed that way. Everything is laid on a flat surface, and his unorthodox film techniques makes you feel like you are watching a film by some kind of genius who has never watched a single film in his life but figured out in his own way how to make films from the scratch.

This film being a completely new form of storytelling alone makes me giddy, but it's probably because I am interested in filmmaking and narrative techniques. Too difficult to put into words. Recommended and not recommended. Watch all Tarkovsky films first and then come for this :)

I've just spent too much time writing on above two films (for such short paragraphs), and I have no energy left for this one :) Bresson being one of my favorite filmmakers and all, my poor words cannot possibly do justice to his vision. If you are new to (I know you are not Fuuma), and interested in Robert Bresson, please go visit the following site:

http://www.robert-bresson.com/

and he himself makes a rare appearance in a documentary/interview feature included in the Criterion edition DVD of his film Au Hasard Balthazar, and explains his theory and philosophy better than anybody else did. See the link below:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews14/Au_Hasard_Balthazar.htm

As you can see from my comments, all I seem to talk about is how the stories are told, and not the stories themselves. Frankly, I can't even remember some of the key plots for those films. It may differ by your philosophy on how you look at art in general, but I do believe that how things are expressed is much more important than what is being expressed.

Somebody (can't remember) said that, all films in essence are about films and filmmaking, and I do agree. Same goes for any other form of art such as writing and painting. Perhaps it's because of my strong interest in narratology.

Shit I've spent too much time writing this pretentious shit...

Another silent:

Le Passion de Jeanne d'Arc/The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

If you film buffs haven't seen this already, I suggest you should. I am a big fan of silents because they show how film changed so dramatically and they leave a lot to the imagination, and I am sure a few of you might really appreciate that. What's remarkable about this movie is the director's use of the close up and the flooding of light. Amazing acting, too. While the story may not be so interesting to some, it's still amazing to be able to see and compare elements of films of the silent era to films later on. It's nice to see where directors might have stolen from.

Also, here is one of the movies I posted previously, Le Voyage dans la lune/A Trip to the Moon (1902). This one is especially fun to watch, by anyone in my opinion. Note the use of "special effects" (the director George Melies was a magician) and the amazing sets. Remember, this movie was made in 1902! It's amazing to see what they were able to do.

Nice Alphaville quotes everyone :) It's about time for me to give it a rewatch.

Fuuma have you seen all three of them already? or are you asking because you haven't seen them yet? I'll be really brief, because I don't trust my memory and it's been a while since I've last watched those :) Also, I'll try to be general and go over some points you probably know already, so that some of the other sufu members can follow.

I was asking because I hadn't seen them. Thanks a lot for the comments.

Fuuma's top 100 movies: 2000s:

• Code Unknown/Code inconnu/France/Haneke/2000: Haneke’s masterful film on the new Europe and its impact on various ethnic groups, the movie also explores communication dynamics and mixed messages. The disjointed, unfinished scenes really add something to the whole, illustrating the vagaries of human contact in a very palpable way. Haneke’s latest opus, Caché/Hidden, revisits those themes with a particular focus on the invisible undercurrent of guilt, the hidden shame inherent to post colonialism. As Kundera had one of his characters say: “Yes, suddenly I saw it all clearly: most people willingly deceive themselves with a doubly false faith; they believe in eternal memory (of men, things, deeds, peoples) and in rectification (of deeds, errors, sins, injustice). Both are sham. The truth lies at the opposite end of the scale: everything will be forgotten and nothing will be rectified. All rectification (both vengeance and forgiveness) will be taken over by oblivion. No one will rectify wrongs; all wrongs will be forgotten.â€

• In the mood for love/HK/Wong/2000: Languid exploration of an impossible love in the HK of the 60s. WKW reached his aesthetic pinnacle with ITMFL; looking at people smoking was never this exhilarating.

• Battle royale/Japan/Fukasaku/2000: B-movie social critique about a high school class send on an island to exterminate each other. I love the clash of high school dynamics and repeating machineguns. Fukasaku once again lets the ugly side of post-war Japanese society fester to the surface

• 24 Hour Party People/UK/Winterbottom/2002: I never tire of watching this movie; it’s so energetic and unabashedly cheerful, even when everything crashes around the main character. I don’t have much to say about it though, contrary to pretty much every entry on the list I don’t know much about the director’s cannon (Winterbottom), I haven’t noticed anything special about the direction as I’m always so engrossed in the story I’m affected by his technique instead of analyzing it. Oh and post-punk rocks!

• OldBoy/Korea/Park/2003: “Laugh, and the world laughs with you; cry, and you cry alone.†Korean cinema has been one of the most dynamic of the last few years, this is my favourite entry but there are plenty to explore and it goes in all directions (comedies, melodrama, genre movie, romance, historical epics, psychological drama, etc.). Since this list is finished maybe I’ll recommend some Korean movies next.

• Kings and queen/France/Desplechin/2004: Desplechin successfully melds together the comical story of a witty and instable man sent to a psychiatric institution and the melodramatic arc of a woman who must face the death of her father and the emptiness of her own life. I’d say this movie approaches very intelligently the often enormous difference between what we think we are, what other think we are and what we really are.

• The beat that my heat skipped/De battre mon cœur s'est arrêté/France/Audiard/2005: This movie had such a strong, visceral impact the first time I watched it the stewardess had to remind me to turn off my ipod because the plane was landing. That it can pack such a punch on a small screen in this context says a lot about its emotional charge. What it’s about: a young, restless man, torn apart by the sometimes harsh actions he thinks he must take to please various authority figures and find some kind of peace. Oh and since it’s a fashion board maybe someone will know who provided Romain Duris wardrobe, because the overall look is exactly what I like about the dressier side of clothing.

Nice lists and recommendations Fuuma! I've watched about 90% of films on your list and I don't necessarily agree with 1/3 of your picks, but it's certainly due to different tastes, and I highly respect your opinion and enjoyed reading your articulate summaries.

Have you read this analysis of Caché from notcoming.com? It's a fascinating take on the film, well worth giving a read :)

a quick list of films you should see:

Apocalypse Now - absolutely one of the best movies ever made.

Annie Hall - a film on cynicism and love from a neurotic jewish perspective, think Larry David.

Oldboy - a fantastic Korean film dealing with the subject of revenge. if you like it, and you best son, checkout Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance.

Goddard: Masculine Feminine or anything else

The Dreamers - haven't seen this one listed yet! what's not to like about french decadence, copious nudity, and spoiled kids oblivious to the revolution outside their parent's house.

these just seem like they should be listed, there's a million more of 'em but i can't be bothered:

Clockwork Orange

Alfred Hitchcock: Vertigo, Psycho, or anything else

City of God

American Beauty

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

The Graduate

etc…

don’t forget those teenage classics!: donnie darko, requiem for a dream, american history x, rushmore, girl interrupted, boondock saints, etc…

notice how simply entertaining films are conspicuously left off film buff's lists. like them, i'll let you figure out those for yourself.

don't believe teh hypes (avoid):

kids, gummo - if you have to watch a Harmony Korine film see Ken Park. don't believe the 15 year olds who think taboo subjects are original. fans of this film also think Visitor Q is "bomb diggity".

american psycho - don't confuse this movie with Alfred Hitchcocks's Psycho. this was a book by Bret Easton Ellis. the movie is cheesy. it's so bad that the book must be better by default.

battle royale 2 - the only redeeming aspects of battle royale 1 is that it's such a bizzare and silly jap film. battle royale 2 was written and produced by jr high students.

Fuuma's and Designersheep's daunting lists are good in the way that they contain universally agreed upon classics, and a seemingly diverse set of films from various countries and time periods. i'll let you in on a secret: just check the Criterion Collection, or ask the old man who owns the local independant film store -- he'll talk your head off!