Random Thoughts...

fade to black2

Update your sound drivers. Just find out if you are using a sound card or built in motherboard sound and update the drivers.

If it's a desktop your sound card could be loose in its connections, fixing this requires opening up the computer. I wouldn't recommend doing this as it voids warranty etc. Updating to latest drivers from manufacturer of sound card or motherboard is your best bet.

Well, originally we had two sound cards installed, but my old one was giving issues so we just took it out and went to an older ghost image to make sure there wasn't anything leftover from it. The one that's still in is secure in its connections and has the latest drivers, so we're still kind of fuzzy on it.

what browser do you use? running a script blocker? sound work for everything else? or is it just internet?

Everything has been doing this silent crap. If I'm watching a movie and skip ahead when it has sound, sometimes it will be silent. Or vice versa. Same goes with iTunes, although usually it's only silent upon first time loading up, every other time it's fine.

My net connection also went down, so I'm using a router for now since the direct line won't work. Current thinking is that surges are fucking with the internals, which means my surge protector is now garbage too. Ugh.

did anybody rent books from an online website for their college textbooks?

i'm trying it this year because my math book is 160 and my journalism book is 80. I tried Chegg.com and the rental for the math book is 70 and journalism 25. I can rent it for a whole semester. well, until december 26 which is more than enough time for the fall semester.

anyone have any input on this subject?

Well, originally we had two sound cards installed, but my old one was giving issues so we just took it out and went to an older ghost image to make sure there wasn't anything leftover from it. The one that's still in is secure in its connections and has the latest drivers, so we're still kind of fuzzy on it. My net connection also went down, so I'm using a router for now since the direct line won't work. Current thinking is that surges are fucking with the internals, which means my surge protector is now garbage too. Ugh.

so it worked with the 2 sound cards? and is there one of those secure (grounded) lights on your surge protector? also i'm sure you've done this but google can help. couldn't figure out why the computer i just put together wasn't recognizing the monitor. a google search later found out it might be the ram. switched ram. and everything worked.

did anybody rent books from an online website for their college textbooks?

i'm trying it this year because my math book is 160 and my journalism book is 80. I tried Chegg.com and the rental for the math book is 70 and journalism 25. I can rent it for a whole semester. well, until december 26 which is more than enough time for the fall semester.

anyone have any input on this subject?

try half.com for textbooks. might be cheaper/same price/a bit more to buy it and then you have it until you want to sell it and can still get some money back for your book.