Random Thoughts...

fade to black2

A cadre of Menlo-Atherton High School students used some high-tech savvy, a Mideast connection and a gift card to pull off a senior prank that kept most of their classmates away from school until third period Friday.

Right around 6:40 a.m., the home phones of about 1,700 Menlo-Atherton students received automatic "robo-calls" from a number that showed up on caller ID as 650-322-5311, the school's office number.

"This is an important message regarding a serious electrical failure at Menlo-Atherton High School,'' the robo-call said. "Due to the potential hazards this morning's events may induce, school has been temporarily postponed until third period." The message then repeats in Spanish.

The caller rang back five minutes later for those who didn't pick up the phone the first time and left voicemails for those who still didn't answer.

Students familiar with the prank, who divulged details to the Bay Area News Group on the condition of anonymity, said it worked perfectly and the school was "empty" during the first two periods.

Here's how they did it: The students obtained the school directory and converted it to an Excel spreadsheet. They plugged the numbers into a Web site that makes robo-calls, using a friend in Israel to sign up for the service. That way, the computer IP address for the person responsible for the calls was traced back to the Middle East. The site allows users to enter any caller ID number for the calls, and the

Advertisement

pranksters recorded the message using a fake robotic computer voice.

The students used a Visa gift card to pay the $150 to $200 fee for the calls, because the gift card is not traceable to a specific person as a regular debit or credit card is.

Menlo-Atherton officials sent out counter-calls telling students to come to school but the caller ID again showed the school's office number.

Students said their classmates finally arrived in time for third period, about 9:35 a.m., and the pranksters had not been caught by the time school let out Friday.

A cadre of Menlo-Atherton High School students used some high-tech savvy, a Mideast connection and a gift card to pull off a senior prank that kept most of their classmates away from school until third period Friday.

Right around 6:40 a.m., the home phones of about 1,700 Menlo-Atherton students received automatic "robo-calls" from a number that showed up on caller ID as 650-322-5311, the school's office number.

"This is an important message regarding a serious electrical failure at Menlo-Atherton High School,'' the robo-call said. "Due to the potential hazards this morning's events may induce, school has been temporarily postponed until third period." The message then repeats in Spanish.

The caller rang back five minutes later for those who didn't pick up the phone the first time and left voicemails for those who still didn't answer.

Students familiar with the prank, who divulged details to the Bay Area News Group on the condition of anonymity, said it worked perfectly and the school was "empty" during the first two periods.

Here's how they did it: The students obtained the school directory and converted it to an Excel spreadsheet. They plugged the numbers into a Web site that makes robo-calls, using a friend in Israel to sign up for the service. That way, the computer IP address for the person responsible for the calls was traced back to the Middle East. The site allows users to enter any caller ID number for the calls, and the

Advertisement

pranksters recorded the message using a fake robotic computer voice.

The students used a Visa gift card to pay the $150 to $200 fee for the calls, because the gift card is not traceable to a specific person as a regular debit or credit card is.

Menlo-Atherton officials sent out counter-calls telling students to come to school but the caller ID again showed the school's office number.

Students said their classmates finally arrived in time for third period, about 9:35 a.m., and the pranksters had not been caught by the time school let out Friday.

are you from the menlo-atherton area?

my first bowling league starts tonight...

threw up a new career high 224 yesterday in preparation so that means ill probably bowl a 120 today

i bowled a lifetime high of 150 on friday night

i was pretty stoked on that. bumpers down too

I was watching two sea-doos play chicken on the lake and suddenly I hear "OH SHIT" right before this guy literally runs OVER his friend and his flips himself and his sea doo over his friend and his friend didn't come out of the water for a while. So I yelled out "Should I call, you know, 911?" And he said, "No, he's alive." So that was intense