Type 3 denim jackets: Let's see what you got…

coleslawyum

I'm just wondering if there is anybody out there with some type 3 denim jackets. Since this is my favorite style and is probably the most popular, I figure I'll start a thread about them.

Here's my small collection:type3.jpg

From the top, left to right.

1) Not exactly the type 3, but a Lee repro by Samurai SO111XJ

2) Sugarcane SC1162

3) Flat Head 6003

4) Denime 557xx

5) Levi's LVC 70505

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question about Raw Jackets-

Is the process of breaking in the raw denim jacket similar to jeans? Do you wear them 1 to 2 years before washing since you dont wear the jacket as much as the jeans? I am very interested.

I would also like to see a few pictures of well worn jackets that came from a raw state. Just curious to see what they wear like.

Question about Raw Jackets-

Is the process of breaking in the raw denim jacket similar to jeans? Do you wear them 1 to 2 years before washing since you dont wear the jacket as much as the jeans? I am very interested.

I would also like to see a few pictures of well worn jackets that came from a raw state. Just curious to see what they wear like.

I don't own a type 3, but I do have a type 1 LVC that I soaked in hot water and put in the dryer to get most of the shrinking out. There was also a thread in here somewhere where a guy did the same thing, then re-soaked and drip-dried to get the stiffness back. He washed it infrequently, but I don't think it was a year. He got good fading, though, got honeycombs (or whatever they'd be called) in the bends of his arm.

I actually wanna get this:

SCjack.jpg

it's a one-wash though. I don't really want to get a jacket that doesn't fit right which is why I'm hesitating.

Nice collection. All I have is a Nudie Conny (not Type 3, I know), and just that one is taking a long time to break in. I can't imagine how long five would take. You should probably trade/sell/give one or two to me in order to make the process easier on yourself.

Thanks. Actually I find that breaking in jackets are a bit easier than jeans because I tend to lean on things when I'm standing, waiting for a train or something. Also I wear a bag and that wears out the sides. I figure a year each.

hmm, guys. don't know if this thread will really take off if it's just about the type 3s. maybe it's time to create a thread dedicated to denim jackets? maybe we can modify this thread to it?

Hey Chicken, I think there is a thread on denim jackets already. Maybe we can append this one to that one? Still, I think the type 3 is awesome, no matter how generic it is.

Quoting DDML from the small questions thread...

"it's the LEVIS 557 or 70505 jacket-----the third version of their denim jacket, also called a "trucker jacket"; takes cues from the LEE slim jean jacket"

I asked the same questions this morning and that was his answer.

i have a couple type 3's that could go on here, too. an APC type 3 with mesh lining, the type 3 that i made, and a levi's san francisco type 3 with sherpa lining.

Would be very interested to see that sherpa lined one. Does it have hand pockets on the sides?

What would you wear a jean jacket with though. LIke I don't have a pair of raw 501's and wouldn't you just look foolish wearing it with like some other weird mismatching denim?

Nah, it's better to not match the denim, unless you're from the Dirty Dirty. But I do think that you should match raw with raw and wash with wash. A raw jacket just makes your washed jeans look cheap. Also, a jean jacket with a nice pair of khaki's looks proper.

I like to wear my raw denim with a very washed/fadded denim jacket... it gives great contrast, and really embelishes the color and sheen of the jeans. Raw jeans with a raw jacket looks too much like a Texas Tuxedo unless you have a shirt, hat, shoes to offset the combo.

I like to wear my raw denim with a very washed/fadded denim jacket... it gives great contrast, and really embelishes the color and sheen of the jeans. Raw jeans with a raw jacket looks too much like a Texas Tuxedo unless you have a shirt, hat, shoes to offset the combo.

I agree. Raw on one side, vintage/washed on the other. Still, less of this old chestnut and more jackets please... mine (one wash Diesel type 3 imitation I picked up for £25 somehow) doesn't get worn often enough to have any worthwhile pics.

this type3 thread brought back a little bit of a sour memory of mine. i've been looking for an overdyed denim jacket for months until i finally was able to land this at yahoo!auction jp:

ua70599.jpg

pretty sweet jacket (levi's x united arrows), but it was too long for me. :(

my taller older bro has it now. hope he's getting some good use out of it.