Spectacles for Superfuture

digital_denim

Got so much info about glasses in 10 minutes from talking to Mr. D the owner of Spetacles for Humans...he takes eyewear to the next level. I will now fixate on some shades for the next few months.

Here's his blog with a post about the party too:

http://spectaclesforhumans.blogspot.com/

Anyone pickup anything from the Superfuture fieldtrip to Spectacles for Humans?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are too much, but I appreciate all the kind words, thank you. Coming from knowledgable people like you, it means a lot. I trully enjoyed meeting you all at the shop and at Self Edge yesterday and hope to see you again and not necessarily as clients. Stop in if only to bs about trends and stuff. I always have beer and Champs in the fridge. :) This is f'n high-end.

See ya 'round.

I really need to fucking stop by Dimitri's store, 10 mins listeninng to the man talk about glasses was like me reading superdenim for the very first time, holy shit...

and i was the only one supporting him when people got mad at him in the other eyeglasses thread for being an "elitist"...

anyway, i wish i could go into the store and try shit on. but that's not happening anytime soon and mailordering glasses isn't going to be as forgiving as mailordering denim...

spectacles in a purely design aspect or is there a quality part to it like denim?

Both actually, but there are many more aspects to consider when choosing eyewear. Style is crucial, it's a given, but if it's made by underfed children in a sweat shop, it ain't gonna cut it. At the same time, quality alone will not get you far if you look like everyone else. In fact, finding producers that offer both high quality, exceptional design and style is the challenge we try to tackle. Twice a year we do trade shows, one in Paris in October and another in Milan in May where we touch and try everything. This year I am setting sights on Tokyo. There is this one dude who carves frames from bamboo by hand...I'd like to have these frames in my shop, on a pedestal probably. Anyway, you know it, the eyewear industry exploded in recent years and everyone from Barbie to Sponge Bob went into licensing agreements to produce their own lines of eyewear. Even Mr. Hair, Donald Da Trump has its own line of specs. It's worse than parfumes. I mean, Hello??, what's next? In light of this, you as consumers have to figure out who gives you the real shit and who robs you blind. I hate to say it, but knowing how this industry is set up, I fear many of you probably paid dearly for stuff that's not so hot. For instance, legal loopholes allow "quality conscious" manufacterers produce eywear in China, yet have it stamped as "Made in Italy". All the frames from Tom Ford to Gucci, to Costume National to Burberry and beyond are 100 percent Chinese made. Oh they say quality is the same, bullshit. Wondered why sunlgasses don't hold up as they used to and fall apart within months, if not weeks? It's 'cause it's cheap crap disguised as top quality specs with $$$$ price tag because of a logo on the side. What a bunch of shysters. Even damn' Ray Bans are made there. How about them apples? So at some point, we had to make a decision whether we ride the wagon and sell out to Prada and the like, or whether we stick with good stuff and push forward with our philosophy which is nothing less than artisanal level of quality, visionary design and freshest style. It has to be so beatiful and perfect, I must want to wear it myself, is my slogan, and if I don't find it 100%, it's not in my shop. Personal taste has a lot to do with it, I understand, and customers have to trust my instintcs, but I prefer it this way, since I know, there are people out there who value style, quality and craftsmanship and will not compromise. They will see IT in a handmade frame. I just need to let them know something like this exists and when they find out, and see it firsthand, some literally freak out. And then we start talking about all around appearances and how important eyewear is and how it affects your personal style, on and on. Even the hardest ones realise that the first thing others see is your face, and what's ON your face. So if you have an average or eve a poor frame, I undesrtand, budget can be tight, I am not an ass. But if you walk around wearing $700 shoes and $500 jeans and your frames don't fit, you are not there yet. Come see me, or ask for advice here, I will help you dot the i's.

I hate to say it, but knowing how this industry is set up, I fear many of you probably paid dearly for stuff that's not so hot. For instance, legal loopholes allow "quality conscious" manufacterers produce eywear in China, yet have it stamped as "Made in Italy". All the frames from Tom Ford to Gucci, to Costume National to Burberry and beyond are 100 percent Chinese made. Oh they say quality is the same, bullshit. Wondered why sunlgasses don't hold up as they used to and fall apart within months, if not weeks? It's 'cause it's cheap crap disguised as top quality specs with $$$$ price tag because of a logo on the side. What a bunch of shysters. Even damn' Ray Bans are made there.

This is so true. I used to work as a buyer/product-designer for a large sunglass importer/distributor and its insane how cheap these glasses are straight from the factories. I Used to deal directly with the factories you're mentioning (ones that produced for multiple different high-end lines) and when you see the prices you realize that the quality can't be all that great at that low of a price. It's also quite funny how willing they are willing to allow (or even help you to) rip off trademarked designs. One time we received a whole box of samples in error meant for another customer of a factory and it contained a few samples of our own, custom-designed, frames which we owned exclusive molds for - logos and all.

Its also hard to believe they aren't produced with some child labor, but the factories we dealt with always swore up and down there was no child labor involved. Our president would also tour the factories every year but I'd imagine thats just when they would hide the kids. When you're talking about frames that cost, per piece, fractions of what they go for at retail I can't imagine how else it's possible.

I looked at your webpage and its nice to see someone go in a different direction and look for quality and originality. The lack of originality in most areas of sunglasses is one of the main reasons I left that job.

i completely agree how frames are jacked up what 400%? my sister is an optometrist and i get cost + 15% off, given selection isn't uber cutting edge, but the prada and gucci frames that cost me like 100$ total have gone through asia and back no problems whatsoever. I'm still a bit confused about "quality." I've worn glasses for like 15 years now and gone through maybe 6 pairs of glasses, maybe less. Never have any of them fallen apart on me. I guess you could say the same about anything, coffee, jeans, etc. but downright disregarding anything else is a bit much eh?

and are we mainly talking about glasses or sunglass? for me sunglasses for many people are completely disposable, but prescription glasses aren't. if i wore sunglasses, i'd lean quality for both

interesting stuff..

that blog is absolutely fantastic and qudos to you for it. inspiring stuff.

and the point about designers making low quality spectacles and sunglasses hits true to me, in the last year i've had sunglasses from dsl55 and marc jacobs literally fall apart on me. i look at some of the spectacles i have bought over the years and it pains me the amount i've spent on sub standard bad designs that would put dame edna everage to shame. only recently i have moved to alain milki after buying approx 3-4 glasses a year for the last 4 years since finishing university.. armani, prada, gucci, dior etc etc, and in conclusion they are all horse shit. No real design or quality at all.

Stop in if only to bs about trends and stuff.

Man, do I wish I could stop in your shop. I know what good advice on glasses can be. I just don't have access to it myself. Sigh. Keep it up.

I have a good friend who, for many years, has had a favorite saying: "How many pairs of shoes do you own? Well, what do people look at first: your feet or your face?"

Sorta sums that up right there.

but the prada and gucci frames that cost me like 100$

When people ask me if carry Prada, I tell them to go to Lenscrafters or Sears, someting like that. If you give me your sister's office name I can refer them to her. :D

Interesting thread so far...

grunhauser, I'd like to know your recommendations for places to check out in Tokyo for glasses, I'm curious about those bamboo ones. Right now, I'm wearing Eye'DC from France pretty much everyday and, as much as I like them, would like to try new frames. Shoot me a PM if you prefer.

When people ask me if carry Prada, I tell them to go to Lenscrafters or Sears, someting like that. If you give me your sister's office name I can refer them to her. :D

you might have the backing of some SF "heavy hitters" but I swear on my left eye, i'd rather be shot than go to a store where I ask about a product and you refer me to sears. Sorry i'm not up on my glasses game, but that certainly isn't a reason to look down on anyone, so next time I'm in SF, i'll be sure to tell all my friends that I'd rather eat my hand than go to your shop.

and i was the only one supporting him when people got mad at him in the other eyeglasses thread for being an "elitist"...

he's not being elitist, he's being a dick. it's like a niketalk thread "school me on" but insted of him actually helping, all he's doing is being condescending and a prick. I'm sorry if my frames don't meet to SF standards, for a split second I thought superfuture was a place where people help out with answers to questions and advice for things. but i guess not. Next time someone asks me where to get a pair of levi's i'll tell em kohl's and all will be fine.

you might have the backing of some SF "heavy hitters" but I swear on my left eye, i'd rather be shot than go to a store where I ask about a product and you refer me to sears. Sorry i'm not up on my glasses game, but that certainly isn't a reason to look down on anyone, so next time I'm in SF, i'll be sure to tell all my friends that I'd rather eat my hand than go to your shop.

What the hell is he supposed to do? Conjure up the Prada frames out of nowhere? It's kind of like coming to buy True Religions at Self Edge, they're obviously going to refer you to another store... :rolleyes:

I don't think Grunhauser is being elitist or a prick at all. He's just taking pride in the fact that his store carries quality products the same we way take pride in knowing the denim we purchase is a step above the rest of the crop. After meeting and talking to him in person, this point becomes quite obvious. Cheers.

i'll be sure to tell all my friends that I'd rather eat my hand than go to your shop.

LOL. You know you want to see it fr yourself.

For the record, it's not my first day in business and I know who to deal with all kinds of clients. I don't despise anyone but I do know that most people come into my shop close minded. They know what they know and they are sticking with it. But when I see a flicker of hope, I go all out and treat them as friends. That's why I am in business for 10 years. So if you come in a naughty boy and start showing off your Pradas like you own the world and then act like a child snickering at stuff you can't comprehend, don't expect me to pop a cork in your honour. Off to Sears you go. You're obviously not ready for the best.:;)

Hey Grunhauser, my eyes are starting to go, I think ill need glasses in a few months, when im back in San Fran. Whats your store's address?

And if youre allowed to tell me, how much do the Meyer frames with the reindeer sides cost?

Thanks, and nice store, even if it does have pepto pink tiles!!

Those Derome Brenne frames are lush. So jealous.

I was wondering since you're a conniseur of glasses I wanted to know what kind of frames would a roundish face you would recommend?

Easy, go with square or rectangluar shape. If you have a larger smile generator, try to go bigger , it will make it a look smaller.