Japanese Denim Article in San Francisco Chronicle

kiya

An article on Denim in the most read paper in Northern California and the second most read paper in the western United States, The San Francisco Chronicle:

This is going to print tomorrow (Sunday)...

This appears on the front page of the Style section, it takes up NINE columns and two and a half pages total. This is one of the largest and most comprehensive articles they've ever done on denim...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/07/LVG18NBRG41.DTL

Congrats again on the great article Kiya. It really does justice to the great work you've been doing at Self Edge. Can't believe it, 3 freaking pages on denim in the SF chronicle...not about Levis, not about 7's, not about True Religion, but about a small store in the mission selling premium Japanese denim. I love it! Rock on dude! Can't wait for the SExIH...I will see you then if not sooner!

Kiya,

Great article. Congrats! Beware of the flood that’s a-coming, but we’ll presume that’s a good thing.

I have two questions you might help me with. One, can you confirm or refute the rumor that Sugar Cane is phasing out/ceasing production of the Lee repros? Two, where can I get info (let alone purchase) the “Sugar Cane's Lee-inspired boot-cut style for women� I'm thinking about a gift for my girl.

[iMHO: It would seem odd that they have a successful women’s line of Lee-inspired jeans, but may phase out the men’s line...]

And, finally, I can only mention how sad it is that the Black Iron Hearts are not available in a 36-inch waist. Sigh.

I waaaay too far away to come visit, but I wish your store (and the on-line store to come) all the best of luck.

Cheers!

awesome that one of my fave sfer was quoted so heavily in the article; his comments were on point.

great that trinket's site was listed at the end of the article; congrats to TiP on having his encylopaedia referred to, as well.

nice to see the denim-gallery.heavy 811s referred to as the "holy grail" in print

strange that they said 47's have a zip front

sad to see the cone shuttle-loom myth propogated

curious that BiG was not mentioned at all; and that they, too, carry samurai

awesome that one of my fave sfer was quoted so heavily in the article; his comments were on point.

great that trinket's site was listed at the end of the article; congrats to TiP on having his encylopaedia referred to, as well.

nice to see the denim-gallery.heavy 811s referred to as the "holy grail" in print

strange that they said 47's have a zip front

sad to see the cone shuttle-loom myth propogated

curious that BiG was not mentioned at all; and that they, too, carry samurai

DDML - but all in good faith that some of this fanfare will translate into more enthusiasm for denim, its heritage, construction, etc. signal vs noise-wise, i think the article has done pretty well...and hopefully directs more experts to the denim board. the more knowledge stored in one place the better i guess.