1880 Nevada Jeans - Hi-res pics!

Crackerhead

Back when I was living in Germany, I got a chance to visit Levi Strauss' birth house in Buttenheim, Bavaria, which they've turned into a small Levi's museum.

What was a total surprise to me was that this is where the 1880 Nevada jeans now reside. I had no idea what I was in for on the visit! Luckily, I had my camera with me and took some photos. There's also an article from Fraenkischer Tag about the acquisition I have a photo of.

Anyway, I've been on this board a few times and decided to make this my first post. I just wanted to share with you guys some of the photos I took. I some of the information on the captions is no longer correct (because the Nevada Jean is no longer the oldest known exisiting pair of Levi's...Yadda yadda yadda.) But you can see photos from the museum in the following link:

http://www.pbase.com/tmerkel/wuerzburg__judith__nuernberg_with_hofelders

Enjoy!

Back when I was living in Germany, I got a chance to visit Levi Strauss' birth house in Buttenheim, Bavaria, which they've turned into a small Levi's museum.

What was a total surprise to me was that this is where the 1880 Nevada jeans now reside. I had no idea what I was in for on the visit! Luckily, I had my camera with me and took some photos. There's also an article from Fraenkischer Tag about the acquisition I have a photo of.

Anyway, I've been on this board a few times and decided to make this my first post. I just wanted to share with you guys some of the photos I took. I some of the information on the captions is no longer correct (because the Nevada Jean is no longer the oldest known exisiting pair of Levi's...Yadda yadda yadda.) But you can see photos from the museum in the following link:

http://www.pbase.com/tmerkel/wuerzburg__judith__nuernberg_with_hofelders

Enjoy!

Forget the Nevadas. You have actually SEEN a 962. Those things are like fairies: you hear about them but you never see one. I don't think they even exist in America.

Also, that is a nice Testarossa.

are you sure that's not the repro of the nevada jeans on display? the fades look quite unauthentic to me.

Chicken I've never seen those kinda suspender buttons on a repro but I can't imagine Levis giving up the originals. Heres the LVC 1886s.

Arcuate-1.jpg

back.jpg

Cinchandlabel.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

The rivets on the original 201s that recently sold on ebay were just like these on my 1886s. Kinda flat and the rivets on these 1880s are rounded like the ones LVC used to use on their 1880s repros from a few years ago. My guess is they are original but maybe Paul could shed some light?

but aren't these THE nevada jeans in this article?

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2001/May-14-Mon-2001/news/16070242.html

and here's a side by side comparison:

nevada_comparison.jpg

the buttons are definitely more authentic looking than the other repro i posted earlier. so that's why i'm thinking this might be like a special repro they created for the museum purpose.

because the fade is completely unrealistic.

Hmmm But then the question of where did the suspender buttons come from? I've never seen those on a repro before.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290065211527&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RUPX_BID_Stores_IT&refitem=290065223376&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=UpSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

I don't think I can tell by just photos and judging by just fade alone. These 201s are real and allot would say this fade looks fake to.

To me the overall look of the jeans is too clean, the dirt seems to be on top of the fabric instead of really in the fibers. For as far as I've seen jeans this old and dirty wouldn't look so "fresh". Same goes for the holes, I think the frayed edges wouldn't be so white in jeans that where really dirty and old.

It looks like when would turn these overalls inside out, they would look like a distressed pair of jeans, not really old.

I'm just thinking out loud and these are just my 2 cents.

but aren't these THE nevada jeans in this article?

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2001/May-14-Mon-2001/news/16070242.html

and here's a side by side comparison:

nevada_comparison.jpg

the buttons are definitely more authentic looking than the other repro i posted earlier. so that's why i'm thinking this might be like a special repro they created for the museum purpose.

They do look different. Always hard to judge density and color from a computer monitor and digital image but there are tears and fades that are different on the ones in the musuem from the ones in the article. I have an e-mail into Lynn at Levis, we'll see what she has to say.

yay, lynn time. i love the fact that you guys keep in touch with her.

I really like those sewn on suspenderbuttons.

A bit offtopic, but; anyone have a clue if/where I might be able to find something similar.

i think all the decent nevada repros were made in limited productions and were snatched up as soon as they came out. you might be able to land them in some auction somewhere. at least the ones i saw on rakuten were all sold out.

It would be so expensive to press out a couple of buttons for a repro though. I would say those jeans at the museum are probably not the ones in the press release photos. Not only do you have problems with variance in computers and monitors the one in the museum are also behind glass cutting down detail and contrast and changing colors slightly. And if they're in a musuem and they are repros I would hope the musuem would state they are repros or just like the originals etc.

Those are repros, but they do look different from the production model - fly button for a start. I guess they were a prototype. Of all the repros LVC have done, the Nevadas had perhaps the most authentic fade - it was done by Bart Sights, and I reckon it's better than anything you could manage yourself.

On the original jeans the crotch was ripped, the back patch missing etc. Also, as seems to have been the fashion circa 1880, they were very short!

Those are repros, but they do look different from the production model - fly button for a start. I guess they were a prototype. Of all the repros LVC have done, the Nevadas had perhaps the most authentic fade - it was done by Bart Sights, and I reckon it's better than anything you could manage yourself.

On the original jeans the crotch was ripped, the back patch missing etc. Also, as seems to have been the fashion circa 1880, they were very short!

Thanks Paul.

Yeah, you guys are totally right. I should have re-read that article, because I noticed in the caption, it mentions they're holding a repro in the picture. So it must have been a repro made for the museum. I swear the placket didn't mention it being a repro, though. I apologize for being misinformed, but, hey - you learn something new every day.

I'm sure the originals are in the fire proof Vault in San Fran.