Snowboarders: What are you riding?

paradigm_shift

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As somebody who is on the slopes at least 30 days a year (probably the only good thing about living in Austria), I can sincerely say that the equipment hardly matters.

Board: F2 Wideglide that I picked up 3 years ago. It was already 2 years old back then. The core is wood and it's quite wide&light, so it's good for powdering.

Bindings: Burton Ray, 4 or 5 years old. Probably the only "premium" part of my equipmen, but bindings last forever.

Boots: Stuf, some cheapass Chinese brand. They fit well and keep me warm.

In total, this cost me less than 300 Euros.

Basically, as long as you wax your board and sharpen your edges once a week, you're golden on anything other than stepins.

Arbor A Frame 171, which is entirely too much board for my 6'1 165 pound frame, but fuck you. I carve up the backcountry like I'm a serial killer. I also ride a shitty little Limited 159, because dropping money to ride on ice in Wisconsin is fucking stupid. My bindings and boots for both are the oh-so-hated Burton SI's. Fuck you again, I like my step-in's and I've been using them for 4 seasons now.

Arbor A Frame 171, which is entirely too much board for my 6'1 165 pound frame, but fuck you. I carve up the backcountry like I'm a serial killer. I also ride a shitty little Limited 159, because dropping money to ride on ice in Wisconsin is fucking stupid. My bindings and boots for both are the oh-so-hated Burton SI's. Fuck you again, I like my step-in's and I've been using them for 4 seasons now.

Try some decent softboots and bindings, you'll be amazed. I did my first season when I was 11 or so (was as skier until then) in stepins, and even after like 20 days of snowboarding I was able to tell the difference between stepins and real bindings.

As somebody who is on the slopes at least 30 days a year (probably the only good thing about living in Austria), I can sincerely say that the equipment hardly matters.

Basically, as long as you wax your board and sharpen your edges once a week, you're golden on anything other than stepins.

i think the boot to binding is pretty key. it makes a big differnece to the response of the board.

paradigm_shift thats some top end gear right there. I ride ions too (05-06 season). I was chilling with some snowboard instructors (level 3 CASI certified freestyle coach), and there was some serious hatin on the new fast-tie boots. i personally love my ions. whats your take on the new lacing systems?

Yeah i live here in switzerland last year i made it up to the mountains around europe like 40 times. It was amazing. Now it just started snowing. It sucks. But i rock Burton Un...Inc 152 last years, Cartel Bindings, and Ion boots. Everything is amazing.

Libtech HFS- 163

Agency Tro'it bindings - so fucking comfortable

Ride Deuce boots.

So pissed, this morning friend and i drove up to stevens pass (wa), and about 15 miles away find out there was a wire down on the rode, so they were closed. Fuck, had to drive back.

i think the boot to binding is pretty key. it makes a big differnece to the response of the board.

paradigm_shift thats some top end gear right there. I ride ions too (05-06 season). I was chilling with some snowboard instructors (level 3 CASI certified freestyle coach), and there was some serious hatin on the new fast-tie boots. i personally love my ions. whats your take on the new lacing systems?

Wow what did they have to say about the Ions? I dont think I've ever read any negative review on the speed-lacing system. I love my Ions too, just pull to your desired tightness/fit, tuck'em in, and off you go, never have to readjust. I ultimately chose them over the Boa-system enabled boots because the 1st generations had problems with the lace-eyelets ripping off, and the laces themselves breaking. It seems that they've adressed those problems though, my friend just recently purchased the DC Judge boots and the eyelets are steel-reinforced, and the laces are made of steel fibers.

Guest Goose25

I tend to hire gear (Rossignol or Burton if I can) when I'm away boarding (no space on the TGV) but have been buying accessories like Cebe helmet and Uvex goggles.

Here's a q: What are step-in board bindings like? They seem like a good idea but not many boarders have them. Any help is apprciated.

I tend to hire gear (Rossignol or Burton if I can) when I'm away boarding (no space on the TGV) but have been buying accessories like Cebe helmet and Uvex goggles.

Here's a q: What are step-in board bindings like? They seem like a good idea but not many boarders have them. Any help is apprciated.

I love step-ins. The ride is not as tight as with a soft boot and strap binding, you lose a good amount of toe control, but the heel is basically the same. I like them for Wisconsin, because it takes 12 seconds to get up the stupid ski lift and strapping in after a 30 second run is borderline retarded. I started off my life in SI's and I've been swayed to the dark side of "regular" bindings by multiple pro riders, but I flipped them all off and stuck with my first loves.

Incidentally, my backcountry stomping grounds were smashed by that stupid avalanche in Colorado this past week. Wasn't going to hit it this season anyway, but it made me twitch a little.

Guest Goose25

fabbo - that's just what I wanted to hear...

I love step-ins. The ride is not as tight as with a soft boot and strap binding, you lose a good amount of toe control, but the heel is basically the same. I like them for Wisconsin, because it takes 12 seconds to get up the stupid ski lift and strapping in after a 30 second run is borderline retarded. I started off my life in SI's and I've been swayed to the dark side of "regular" bindings by multiple pro riders, but I flipped them all off and stuck with my first loves.

Incidentally, my backcountry stomping grounds were smashed by that stupid avalanche in Colorado this past week. Wasn't going to hit it this season anyway, but it made me twitch a little.

^ Prior to getting the Idiom set up, I rode a Burton Supermodel (159) with Burton SI's.

Aside from the weight issue (boots are crazy heavy), it was a smooth smooth ride. Like a Caddy, especially in powder w/ bindings set back. Too smooth!

I too was swayed by the darkside and went back to straps and even though sitting in the snow to strap-in doesn't bug me too much, it was much easier to just step in right off the lift. I still have my boots/bindings and I will NEVER give up the Supermodel!!!! Such a great board.

Here is a picture of the family. Well, what still gets ridden...

thefamily.jpg

147 K2 World Wide Weapon w/ Technine Dominator bindings

155 Burton Seven

153 Stepchild Latchkey w/ Burton P1 bindings

Thirty Two Lashed boot

The bindings get switched back and forth depending on what I feel like riding. I work at a snowboard shop so I have way too much stuff, haha. :)

I switch it up between my Signal 155 wide, Gnu DK 153, and Gnu Rider's Choice magnetraction 154.5.

For boots and bindings I use Burton Ion boots and Cartel bindings.

Wild Style: how do you like the step child? I haven't gotten a chance to try them out yet, only one shop around here carries them.

ya dude mine either, i just put them on the other way. so like if supposed to be this ya - - i put them on : that way. so rotated 90* and they fit.

Thanks for the advice man. Any way i manipulate my baseplates isn't getting them to fit. I guess i'll go pick up a pair, or maybe i should get some new bindings haha.

is burton idiom deck worth it? i'm in the market for new boots and bindings, not super high end, but something that will last, any suggestions?

What kind of board are you looking for? Powder? Park? All-around? To be quite honest, I think that everyone should own a Nidecker at some point in their lives, so let's all buy a full set-up. I road a 04' Platinum once and it made my head explode with amazingness.