Original 201

airfrogusmc

Those are VERY nice jeans. Unusual early label, I would guess that these are pre-1920. Note the wear pattern - these jeans aren't high contrast, but the finish is quite green and streaky with that nice greyish wear pattern on the thighs. These will be natural indigo jeans, although on the inside shot, the cotton looks very white, so I guess it's bleached. No-one's quite sure where the denim comes from on these 201s; on the 501, Levi's would proclaim that they used Amoskeag denim, but there was no maker specified on the 201, as they were the 'budget' jean.

levi's do still buy jeans, but I know they do have decent 1890s, 1920s and 1930s 201 jeans already.

These are incredible...just plain awesome...

And the now that i see the original oilcloth patch i realize how bad/lazy LVC can be a reproducing jeans...theres a huge difference between the two patches...it might seem like a minor detail but i think a little more effort into details like that would make a huge difference.

Those later oil cloth patches do look like the LVC repros. The LVC repros are of late 20s 201s and those are pre 22. They did a 1916 201 all distressed and the patch look pretty good compared to this one.

Ah...i thought yours were a repro of the same year...my bad......do you know when in the 20's the classic "horses pulling apart the jeans" picture was introduced??..the one thats still in use today.......unless..it underwent another change somewhere down the road that im missing...

I dunno, I sold something that ended up going for close to $3k once. The high bidder had zero feedback, and I only have 72, there was rampant speculation over at Steve Hoffman's place that it was a setup. It wasn't and so far the guy you bought my record hasn't bought anything else, that was over two years ago. Your feedback has to start somewhere.

did 1920 201s come with coin pockets that had an exposed selvedge? i am fairly interested in how this auction turns up...perhaps someone could forward the link or just the pictures to levi's historians to ask for their opinion. i'm sharing chicken (and several others') iffiness at the moment.

did 1920 201s come with coin pockets that had an exposed selvedge? i am fairly interested in how this auction turns up...perhaps someone could forward the link or just the pictures to levi's historians to ask for their opinion. i'm sharing chicken (and several others') iffiness at the moment.

Pink all the LVC repros including my 1886s 1901s 1920s have all had the selvage on the watch pocket turned under and hidden. I've been told that is they way it is on originals. It was that way on the photos I've seen of those Nevada jeans.

If they're pulled it could have been Levi's. They tend to leave the cheap counterfeits alone, but have pulled higher value dodgy items, i believe. THe jeans looked legit to me- altho teh selvage looks very white I am not sure that that the originals would have looked any different - but I wish I'd copied the photos.

All that said, if anyone were to buy those wihtout the opportunity to check them out in person, they would be pretty insane. There are probably half a dozen people on this forum who could knock up a fake that would look as good as those, if you only had crappy low-rez photos to go by...