Digital SLRs?

nairb49

do the right thing and dont take a job, especially a paying one if you dont know what you are doing.

jobs are not the place to learn new skills, only use ones that youve developed on your own time.

if you dont know what you need for the job, dont have them expect you to be able to do a good job.

yea i definitely see your point.

i shot an art show for a friend when one of his friends at the show approached me about his clothing line.

i told him upfront that i don't have experience with anything formal but i'd show him the pics from the show and if he was still interested to hit me up.

after seeing the pics he said he was extremely interested so i just wanted to prepare myself as best as i could.

any advice would be helpful.

thanks.

if you are really doing this, watch a lot of lookbook from professionals and read some stuff about studio photgraphy. get a flash and some studio lights if you can. and good luck !

do the right thing and dont take a job, especially a paying one if you dont know what you are doing.

jobs are not the place to learn new skills, only use ones that youve developed on your own time.

if you dont know what you need for the job, dont have them expect you to be able to do a good job.

thanks for your input on the sigma af

but i disagree with this. whatever random cluthing company (if it's slug, i'll shit myself) asked bill to do this probably knows he's not a pro and they probably want to save some money by paying a dude with a dslr to do their lookbook instead of shelling out for a professional.

and jobs are generally places where you learn skills. your point here is well taken because a per diem gig shooting a lookbook isn't the same as a job where you're hired with the understanding that you don't know everything and you'll need training and that you'll learn by doing. but i think this opportunity is a great way to learn what works and what doesn't, especially if the company knows that they're not paying for professional work.

billy - need an assistant? i'm free.

Cheapest/Mostreilable site to order D40 kit?

just sold d40 for $420

tip dont buy it for $420

refurb at cameta? wait til after july 1st tho, rumored new releases=cheap everything?

ok, so regarding the d40's...

i know the issue of a lack of autofocusing lenses comes up really often. are there ANY autofocusing lenses on the market that work w/ the d40? common ones that an average amateur would want to pick up ? would they also work w/ a d80? how would a non-autofocusing lens really effect me? is the kit lens auto focusing?

i've been saving up for one and want to make sure there are no potential big drawbacks here...

thanks guys.

ok, so regarding the d40's...

i know the issue of a lack of autofocusing lenses comes up really often. are there ANY autofocusing lenses on the market that work w/ the d40? common ones that an average amateur would want to pick up ? would they also work w/ a d80? how would a non-autofocusing lens really effect me? is the kit lens auto focusing?

i've been saving up for one and want to make sure there are no potential big drawbacks here...

thanks guys.

Yes, there are lens that will auto focus with the d40. Any AF-S will. Most zooms are AF-S, its mainly the prime lens that aren't. Those lens will auto focus with the d80. With the d40 you'll just have to manually focus which isn't a big deal to me, but it might for you depending on what you're going to be shooting.

Im currently looking at the Canon EOS 450D Digital rebel XSi/Kiss X2 digital..

I'm entirely noob when it comes to dslrs, but what do you guys think? For a first time dslr user, would this camera do me well for the long run? I've read reviews and most said it was great but i'd like to hear honest opinions from here..

Thanks

Im currently looking at the Canon EOS 450D Digital rebel XSi/Kiss X2 digital..

I'm entirely noob when it comes to dslrs, but what do you guys think? For a first time dslr user, would this camera do me well for the long run? I've read reviews and most said it was great but i'd like to hear honest opinions from here..

Thanks

What do you mean by long run? I'm a huge fan of metal bodies, and the XSi has a plastic body so... Yeah. B&H has a Canon 30D for $799 new, and you can find tons of them used for a coupe hundred bucks cheaper.

But if the "older models" aren't really your thing, I bet you could find a 40D for maybe $900 used.

by long run, i mean its usage over time...

Now could you perhaps give me a brief explanation comparing the differences between the 40d and the 450d? I'm not too sure what questions to ask since im totally unfamiliar with dslrs in general..

I read through this thread but still felt unsure..

Canon XSi:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos450d/

Canon 40D:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/

You can compare the features and specifications. The XSi is a fancy entry-level DSLR, while the 40D is the "standard" pro-sumer DSLR. And to add, the 40D will last you much longer than the XSi will. Metal body and more solid features and specifications that will hold up over time. The XSi is still a decent little body, though. It, with a couple of good lenses, would be a nice setup.

just sold d40 for $420

tip dont buy it for $420

refurb at cameta? wait til after july 1st tho, rumored new releases=cheap everything?

I'll wait till after July 1st and see if there are any prices changes. Thanks for the input.

Anyone have any experience with refurbished cameras? Are they as good as new? What's the deal on these. Was contemplating getting a refurbished d60 instead of a brand new d40 and everyone told me to go for the brand new d40.

dont know if its already been mentioned but......

D700(click and scroll down for images)

a cheaper full frame nikon. and even if your not willing to drop the cash, this probably means price dops on most of the line-up.

Nikon D700 Full Specs

Price (body only):

• US $ 2999

Sensor:

• 36 x 23.9 mm CMOS sensor
  • FX format
  • RGB Color Filter Array
  • Built-in fixed low-pass filter
  • 12.9 million total pixels
  • 12.1 million effective pixels
  • 3:2 aspect ratio

Image processor:

• Nikon EXPEED

A/D conversion:

• 14 bit

Image sizes:

(FX format)

• 4256 x 2832 [L; 12.1 MP]
  • 3184 x 2120 [M; 6.8 MP]
  • 2128 x 1416 [s; 3.0 MP]

(DX format)

• 2784 x 1848 [L; 5.1 MP]
  • 2080 x 1384 [M; 2.9 MP]
  • 1392 x 920 [s; 1.3 MP]]

File formats:

• NEF (12-bit or 14-bit, compressed or lossless compressed RAW)
  • NEF + JPEG
  • TIFF
  • JPEG (EXIF 2.21)

Lens mount:

• Nikon F mount with AF coupling and AF contacts
  • No field of view crop (full-frame)
  • When using DX lenses / DX mode 1.5x FOV crop

Usable lenses:

• Type G or D AF NIKKOR: All functions supported
  • DX AF NIKKOR: All functions supported except FX-format (36×24)/5:4 (30×24) image size
  • AF NIKKOR other than type G or D: All functions supported except 3D Color Matrix Metering II
  • AI-P NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II
  • Non-CPU AI NIKKOR: Can be used in exposure modes A and M; electronic rangefinder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster; Color Matrix Metering and aperture value display supported if user provides lens data

Auto Focus:

• 51 focus points (15 cross-type sensors)
  • Multi-CAM 3500FX
  • AF working range: -1 to +19 EV
  • Contrast Detect in Live View (Tripod) mode

Exposure modes:

• Program Auto [P] with flexible program
  • Shutter-Priority Auto
  • Aperture-Priority Auto [A]

Metering:

• 3D Color Matrix Metering II (type G and D lenses); color matrix metering II (other CPU lenses); color matrix metering (non-CPU lenses if user provides lens data; metering performed)
  • Center-weighted: Weight of 75% given to 8, 15, or 20 mm dia. circle in center of frame or weighting based on average of entire frame
  • Spot: Meters approx. 4 mm dia. circle (about 1.5% of frame) centered on selected focus point (on center focus point when non-CPU lens is used)

White balance:

• Auto (1005-pixel CCD, image sensor)
  • Presets (seven) with fine tuning
  • Manual presets (four)
  • Color temperature in Kelvin (2500 - 10000 K, 31 steps)
  • White balance bracketing (2 to 9 frames, 10,20,30 MIRED steps)

Sensitivity:

• Auto (200 - 6400)
  • Up to ISO 25600(expanded range)

Flash Sync Mode:

• Front-curtain Sync (normal)
  • Red-Eye Reduction
  • Red-Eye Reduction with Slow Sync
  • Slow Sync
  • Rear-curtain Sync

Storage:

• Compact Flash Type I or II
  • UDMA, Microdrive and FAT32 supported

Power:

• Lithium-Ion EN-EL3e (7.4 V, 1500 mAh)
  • Included battery charger MH-18a
  • Optional AC adapter EH-5a
  • Optional MB-D10 battery pack / vertical grip

Vertical grip:

• Optional MB-D10 battery pack / vertical grip
  • One Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL4a, EN-EL4 or EN-EL3e or eight R6/AA-size alkaline (LR6), Ni-MH (HR6), lithium (FR6) batteries, or nickel-manganese ZR6 batteries

Canon XSi:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos450d/

Canon 40D:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/

You can compare the features and specifications. The XSi is a fancy entry-level DSLR, while the 40D is the "standard" pro-sumer DSLR. And to add, the 40D will last you much longer than the XSi will. Metal body and more solid features and specifications that will hold up over time. The XSi is still a decent little body, though. It, with a couple of good lenses, would be a nice setup.

Thanks a lot man, appreciate it!

I have not used both, but reportedly the Nikon 50 might be a little sharper? It seems like a moot point for you as the Nikon will not autofocus on your D40. Tiny sharpness differences aren't going to matter when you miss the focus at f/1.8, which will happen particularly often with an entry level camera's tiny viewfinder.

Why do you have two entry level cameras instead of one upper tier camera?

Its a long story how i ended up with both the kits but i have both of them. Would autofocus be the deal breaker or is it really not that bad on primes?