Digital SLRs?

nairb49

nearly shit my pants...thought i got the shit one out of the stock.

just tested my friend's 30D and his doenst do it either...

tech support failed to give me any reasonable answer...just said Nikons need to be powered on to get a clear view?

It seems like a rather obvious and silly answer, but don't Nikon lenses on the "normal" (not D40, D60) bodies close their aperture all the way down when the camera is off? I know that when I was looking at Nikons in Yodobashi camera I could see that the aperture ring was closed. I'm guessing you tested this already but is the effect the same as when you hit the depth of field preview at f/22?

Canon lenses stay wide open when the camera is off, so you wouldn't see the aperture getting stopped down on say a 30D.

Hi all,

I'm just a beginner, so I need some advice. I plan on purchasing an XTI, but I was wondering about options for a good lens replacement for the crappy one that comes with the kit. I need a good walkabout lens, and my budget is around $600 for a new lens.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

does anyone have a Pentax K100d super...im finding the battery life on it really bad...i thought being able to AA batteries in it would be a + especially when travelling...but im starting to regret the decision...any suggestions for good rechargeable batteries...the ones im using are just not cutting it

^ the best "walkabout lens" will be the EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS.

Indeed, but it doesn't fit in his $600 budget. You can get a Tamron 17-50 2.8 or a Sigma 18-50 2.8, or a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5. If you're a bit short or want to get a prime on too (could be a good idea), you can get the Canon 18-55 2.8-5.6 IS, I personally have it and don't find it that bad (though i'd prefer a 2.8 constant opening than the IS, that's why i'll get a Tamron in a few week).

Apart from that, does anyone know an app that does statistics about a bunch of pictures to determine which focal lenghts are the most used ? I know people on windows that do this, and i'm kinda curious and want to make the best choice when replacing my current lens.

does anyone have a Pentax K100d super...im finding the battery life on it really bad...i thought being able to AA batteries in it would be a + especially when travelling...but im starting to regret the decision...any suggestions for good rechargeable batteries...the ones im using are just not cutting it

my friends use duracell

Guest mwills

Back up to the walkaround question, I'm kinda in the same situation. Right now I just have a 50mm prime, which I like a lot but it's not very versatile. What are your opinions of the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS?

sorry for noob question...what's a better "walk around" camera? the d40 or canon xt? or should i save for more?

well if have no idea how to use a SLR or are pretty new.. the 40d can be pretty overwhelm with all the functions and features.

i would reccomend the canon xt or a xti. its a lot more forgiven, has many more auto settings. and if you find that you dont like SLR at all pretty cheap

GL

i didnt see that. haha my bad.

I think hes referring to a nikon d40

Btw, can anyone help me with color spaces, Im still getting inconsistent results when I upload pics for the web, even after converting to sRGB(im using firefox btw). For example,

The image on the left has been uploaded onto the web, the image on the right was from preview.

picture1vq3.png

Actual file information:

Color space: RGB

Profile name: sRGB IEC 61966-2.1

Adobe RGB 1998?

I never fucks with sRGB, but that's just me.

I also find "save for web" on photoshop very contrasty so I just command+shift+S my photographs instead.

canon doesn't have a great standard zoom for that price. in any case, the 17-55/2.8 IS is on the big and heavy side; it doesn't balance well on the xti. olympus makes the sterling 14-55/2.8-3.5, which you can get for $400-500, but none of their entry-level dslrs really appeal to me. you may feel differently...the e-520 looks ok. imho, they should have just stuck an image stabilized 10mp sensor in the e-1.

dpreview reviewed the updated version of your lens, the 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS. it's sharper wide open and in the corners, and has IS so you can take pics in lower light without using flash (assuming your subject isn't moving). less CA, too.

if you have a $600 budget, i would trade in your current kit for a new 450d kit, which includes the lens for only $100 extra. the rents got one and i have to say that the viewfinder size and overall build have been nudged into acceptable. the grip is still too thin, though.

Actually I think I just discovered the problem.

Most web browsers like firefox do not use color management.

Safari does.

Firefox is on the left

The true jpeg file is in the middle

Safari is on the right.

picture5sk7.png

What are your opinions of the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS?

You loose the wide angle on that one. Did you give a look at the Tamron 17-50, Sigma 18-50 and 17-70 ? They're worth it.

Hey all. I'm completely new to photography, don't know much at all. Was wondering if you guys could suggest any photography/camera forums/websites where I can learn as much as possible? Planning on purchasing a DSLR this summer and would like to know a decent amount about cameras/photography before I cough up all the money to buy one. DSLR suggestions would be appreciated too. Looking to spend around $500. Thanks!

Hey all. I'm completely new to photography, don't know much at all. Was wondering if you guys could suggest any photography/camera forums/websites where I can learn as much as possible? Planning on purchasing a DSLR this summer and would like to know a decent amount about cameras/photography before I cough up all the money to buy one. DSLR suggestions would be appreciated too. Looking to spend around $500. Thanks!

check out htese forums to look at others' works and tips:

www.clubsnap.com

www.thephotoforum.com/forum

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

i say you're safe going with either Canon XTI or Nikon D40 for a beginner kit. both are down to like $450-500 right now.

ay yo, someone recommend me a good lens to replace my kit lens [the 18-55].. want something that's sharper, probably like 2.8 or even less.. thinking something like a 17-40, 24-60, anything general purpose like that... i don't want anything too fancy, like IS doesn't matter to me, etc..

i'm thinking something like 400 and under? i've seen some ones that look ok like sigma 24-60 2.8 for 300...

yea any help greatly appreciated... btw canon mount..

well if your use to the 18-55 focal range the 17-40L is a great upgrade

very sharp in my opinion, but it might be out of your price range a little

My top 3 picks (most to less expensive)

1.)17-40L 17 - 40L review

2.) Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

3.) Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8