Digital SLRs?

nairb49

I tried my granddad 85 f1.8, and I found it a bit too long for portrait, though being a really good lens. But it will do the trick if you don't take picture in cramped area, and can be more interesting than the 50 is you already have a 35L (not sure i understood if you already got it or not).

just my 2 cents

yeah I have the 85 f1.8, really wishing I had a 5d though to shoot in fool frame :D

What do you guys think of the Leica M8 or M7 as a SLR to start with?

Well, given the fact that they are rangefinders and not SLRs, I don't think it would be a good idea for you to get either camera. Maybe you should start out with a point n shoot.

Protip: Just because a camera has interchangeable lenses, it doesn't make it an SLR.

Well, given the fact that they are rangefinders and not SLRs, I don't think it would be a good idea for you to get either camera. Maybe you should start out with a point n shoot.

Protip: Just because a camera has interchangeable lenses, it doesn't make it an SLR.

They're actually much better for certain types of photography that any 35mm format SLR. Most of the great street photographers use them because they are so quiet, small and ooohh the glass. Those Leica M series lens are SPECTACULAR and what most pros like ALL MANUAL.

And Leica does make an SLR just not the M series.

Um, ok? That's all very true, but I'm not sure why you decided to tell me that or how it fits in with what I said.

I was explaining to the guy who called them SLRs that they are actually RFs and not SLRs and given that he didn't even know that much, he should probably start somewhere smaller, rather than spend $5000 on a camera he clearly has no idea about.

Um, ok? That's all very true, but I'm not sure why you decided to tell me that or how it fits in with what I said.

I was explaining to the guy who called them SLRs that they are actually RFs and not SLRs and given that he didn't even know that much, he should probably start somewhere smaller, rather than spend $5000 on a camera he clearly has no idea about.

Anyone can learn. It aint rocket science.

airfrog, out of all respect, learning at the expense of $5000 seems a bit foolish the say the least. for one, a beginner is not gonna know the difference of superb glass. thats assuming the beginner has any experience with even touching a camera that requires any kind of manual setting.

seems much more logical to start off with something that might be beginner-user friendly and doesnt involve selling one's car to pay for.

He asked what about the M7 or M8. Ya gotta assume because his asking he knows the price of admission and I'd rather see someone starting on that if they really wanna learn photography then one of these do everything digital SLRs. He will learn and be a better photographer for it and some of these other guys aint so cheap either and some entry level folks are buy'n D-3s and Canon 1dmkIIIs. The Leica would be a MUCH better choice for someone serious about really learning the craft than either of those.

In my opinion the 35 1.4 is perfect on the 5D.

I own three lenses. The 24L, 35L, 85L and a couple 5Ds. They are all spectacular in their own way.

I'm close to mimicking your setup. <3

that rebate also apply to Europe?

still trying to decide between Canon or Nikon, probably gonna go with the eos 400D tho... (I don't see the use of spending more on that new 450D)

quick question for Nikon users...

if you take the battery out of your body and look through the viewfinder...is it dark and grainy?

my gf's D40 does not do this...but my D80 and my friend's D70 does this. after calling Nikon support, the tech support tested on both D80 and confirmed that it does indeed do this...

now im wondering what the purpose of it is? why exactly does it get dark/grainy like theres sand spread all over the glass?