Digital SLRs?

nairb49

I wouldn't pay that much for it.

looks like I'm getting the alpha 300 I've been wanting this week, using need for school as an excuse. Going to up to the 700 (or better) eventually and give the 300 to my dad. Tons of A mount lenses on Craigslist and the flea market here so should have some fun w/ lots of cheap old lenses.

friends,

it's time i want to upgrade from my d40. should i...

a.) get a d90

or

b.) get a d80 and use the rest of the money for glass.

i would like to know as well. I am just starting my research for my first DSLR and am pretty overwhelmed by everything. I think i have narrowed it down to a Nikon, but im not sure if i want the d80 or just spend a little bit more and get the d90.

I have been told the body isnt as important as the lens, but i dont want a beginner camera per se. Id like to purchase either of those with the kit lens and just buy lens as i realze what it is i need.

I know of dpreview, but that is all photography jargon to me. Any insight by more experienced members in lamens terms would be greatly appreciated!

edit: this cant be legit, can it? It is priced substantially lower than other stores. 699 for the body and 799 including a lens. I assume the lens is nothing to write home about? your input?http://1wayphoto.com/products.asp?product_id=14078

I have been told the body isnt as important as the lens, but i dont want a beginner camera per se. Id like to purchase either of those with the kit lens and just buy lens as i realze what it is i need.

i'd think that getting a better body is more important. saves the trouble for upgrading and all when you're done with an entry level body(for e.g. d40) lenses cant exactly do alot to the colors and noise

edit: this cant be legit, can it? It is priced substantially lower than other stores. 699 for the body and 799 including a lens. I assume the lens is nothing to write home about? your input?http://1wayphoto.com/products.asp?product_id=14078

Its not. If the price is too good to be true, is usually isnt. Google 1wayphoto review and the 2nd link you get will tell all.

so can anyone offer any advice when it comes to the d80 vs. d90?

I can get a d80 with starter lens for around $600-700. Would it be worth it to just throw a few more hundred on it and get the d90?

For an inexperienced photographer, would there even be much of a difference between the two? Besides the fact that one is almost 3 years newer?

I wanna pull the trigger today. Thanks!

so can anyone offer any advice when it comes to the d80 vs. d90?

I can get a d80 with starter lens for around $600-700. Would it be worth it to just throw a few more hundred on it and get the d90?

For an inexperienced photographer, would there even be much of a difference between the two? Besides the fact that one is almost 3 years newer?

I wanna pull the trigger today. Thanks!

I had this decision also, dpreview runs down the differences between the d90 and d80 (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond90/) - the big ones are:

Better Image Sensor

Bigger LCD

Video

That being said, I absolutely love the D90, so I'm going to root for one of those.

JUST TO BE CLEAR..... Everyone knows that D40 Canon differs from the D40 Nikon right? so then specify which D40 you guys are talkin about :)!!!!!
JUST TO BE CLEAR..... Everyone knows that 40D Canon differs from the 40D Nikon right? so then specify which 40D you guys are talkin about :)!!!!!

JUST TO BE CLEAR..... Everyone knows that 40D Canon differs from the D4O Nikon right? so then specify which 40D/D40 you guys are talkin about :)!!!!!

Now seems to be a good time to get a used D80; I've noticed a lot of them popping up (some including the lens) as people are upgrading to the D90.

It's "legit" but shady, in the sense that you'll get something. Expect to get the body & lens alone without a battery or charger, which they'll charge you hundreds of dollars extra for. There are a few companies that do this, most owned by a few individuals with multiple sites.

interest checking in this thread since this would look a bit out of place in supermarket...

i've inherited a very lightly used canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L telephoto zoom lens. seeing as how i don't do any long-range high-speed photography as a casual photographer, i don't see myself ever having any true need for this lens. it would come with the retail soft case and ET-83C lens hood tossed in for good measure. i've inspected it and it is flawless, no scratches on the body and no nothing on the glass.

retail these days is in the $1400 range, would anyone be interested in picking it up for around $1200? offers?

Yeah, I think I just jinxed myself. Was about to post about how I haven't had the err 99 problem on mine after 2 weeks of shooting, when I decided to go outside and take some shots of my dog instead. Sure enough, I get the err 99 straight away. Had to take out the battery for it to work again.

Apparently it has to do with cheap contacts on the lens mount.

hey so my girlfriends dad owns a liquor store, and one of his customers randomly gave him a nikon d40. he knows i've been wanting an slr so he just flat out gave it to me. i've got no idea what to do with the thing! i need to sit down w/ the manual today...

any glass reco's for someone starting out?

i just received my Canon 30D to replace my XTI, that i'm selling on eBay. I cannot put the Xti in my hands anymore, it feels like a plastic toy for kids. I hope i'll get nearly as much as I paid for my 30D for my xti on eBay.

i just received my Canon 30D to replace my XTI, that i'm selling on eBay. I cannot put the Xti in my hands anymore, it feels like a plastic toy for kids. I hope i'll get nearly as much as I paid for my 30D for my xti on eBay.

30D is a solid camera. I've had mine since a month or so after it was released...I can't seem to find a reason to upgrade because my photos have been so darn solid! I think you'll enjoy it....good purchase!

hey so my girlfriends dad owns a liquor store, and one of his customers randomly gave him a nikon d40. he knows i've been wanting an slr so he just flat out gave it to me. i've got no idea what to do with the thing! i need to sit down w/ the manual today...

any glass reco's for someone starting out?

I just started with a Canon XT a few weeks ago and I've been more than satisfied with the kit lens. I would suggest just taking pictures with what you've got and improving your glass down the road when you have a better idea of what you want/need. If you're really itching to get something you could look into something like a 18-200mm zoom as an all-around lens. I don't know anything about what Nikon or the third party manufacturers offer in that range. However, if you've got cash to burn just disregard what I've said and maybe someone else can give you some recommendations.