the official I <3 korean bbq thread

Aeros

When I was in Japan I ate this stuff practically every day. Man there is nothing quite like Kobe Galbi grilled to perfection.

korean bbq and yakuniku (the japanese adaptation) are very similar but not the same thing. the meat used is somewhat different and korean bbq usually comes with tons of other plates like pickled vegies, kind of korean pancake (always forget the name of that stuff, soooo good), etc and IMO, it kind of distract you from eating meat. anyway, i'm also a sucker for that stuff, last week in Hawaii, i blew like 160 $ for a 2 ppl dinner at Gyu-kaku

korean bbq and yakuniku (the japanese adaptation) are very similar but not the same thing. the meat used is somewhat different and korean bbq usually comes with tons of other plates like pickled vegies, kind of korean pancake (always forget the name of that stuff, soooo good), etc and IMO, it kind of distract you from eating meat. anyway, i'm also a sucker for that stuff, last week in Hawaii, i blew like 160 $ for a 2 ppl dinner at Gyu-kaku

quoted for truth.

gyukaku is a japanese joint

You mean yakiniku. ;) Thanks for pointing out the differences. I swear that they gave me kimchi when I got yakiniku in Japan though...

hahaha. Korean BBQ is one of the only reasons to come to Korea, and over here it's like $10 a head including some drinks. At my favorite place, 3 or 4 guys can eat until they're full, including some beers, for about $30.

That first place looks pretty nice coldrice, impressed with the spread there. That second pic looks like you're grilling up some Chadolbahki or something. I gotta give a thumbs down on what looks to be a gas grill though; proper Korean BBQ MUST be done over charcoals... ;)

particularly impressed (or maybe its early and I'm just hungry) with the grilled kimchi X tofu X potato X onion wedge X mushroom X garlic X grillin in pork fat grease combination you have going on at the top, I'm more picky about the sides than the actual meat...

this stuff was even more amazing. i forge't what it's called though.

2jcgi89.jpg

Brisket!!! I don't know what it's called in Korean, but everytime I go to my korean bbq spot, I only order that ($10 all you can eat!) In addition to the sides and sauces, they also serve these rice paper squares that you wrap/eat the meat with. Does anybody know what that's called?

i blew like 160 $ for a 2 ppl dinner at Gyu-kaku

Holy shit. Gyu-kaku is serious. I can't imagine spending that amount at the Torrance or New York restaurant though. How much did u eat? Even here in Tokyo, I dunno if I can spend that much for 2 on Gyu-kaku!?

Brisket!!! I don't know what it's called in Korean, but everytime I go to my korean bbq spot, I only order that ($10 all you can eat!) In addition to the sides and sauces, they also serve these rice paper squares that you wrap/eat the meat with. Does anybody know what that's called?

Hahaha Im korean, and that meat is called cha-dul-bae-gi. I eat these things on a daily basis.