the official I <3 korean bbq thread

Aeros

Hahaha Im korean, and that meat is called cha-dul-bae-gi. I eat these things on a daily basis.

Thanks! Definitely one of the best stuff on earth! Do you know what the rice paper is called? The waitresses call it rice cake as well. I've been searching for that forever at Korean supermarkets.

I know you guys get carried away with the bastardization of the Korean language out there in Southern California, but this shit is called "cha-dol-bag-ee;" 'chadulbaegi' passed when you were like 4 and bothering other families eating at the Korean restaurant.

xcoldricex, is that Apkujung branch of F.A.S. there? ;) I try not to go there too much but when visitors come and I gotta show them something interesting, F.A.S. pleases... plus, enough of that can really got you tossed right...

Back in college I used to do Korean BBQ for my friends; comes together quickly enough and feeds a few;

I'd do this:

3-4lbs of pork loin roll, cut into 2"x1"x3/4" pieces along the grain

marinate in:

1 American-supermarket sized root of ginger (3"x1" approx), grated or shredded

2-3 full heads of garlic, crushed

about 8-10 Tbsps soy sauce, depending whether you have less salty Korean soy sauce or regular Kikkoman

few Tbsps sesame oil

about 10Tbsps gochujang red pepper paste

about 4-8Tbsps honey

couple whole onions in wedges

couple heads green onions sliced in inch pieces

an apple, ripe bartlett pear, or nashi pear, ground and pureed, or if none of those, a quarter can of 7-up

a few shots of soju, rice wine like sake, or if worse comes to worse, vodka

few or several shakes or black pepper

same of salt

let that shit marinate for a few hours in the fridge, you'll be set.

Love the stuff too...not so sure my stomach does as much.

Best place that I can find in the midwest is Woo Lae Oak in the Chicago suburbs. Funny thing tho, all of the Koreans I know disparage the place - it's not derrty enough. But whenever I'm there, it's all Koreans.

Anyway, I like my eating establishments immaculate.

Holy shit. Gyu-kaku is serious. I can't imagine spending that amount at the Torrance or New York restaurant though. How much did u eat? Even here in Tokyo, I dunno if I can spend that much for 2 on Gyu-kaku!?

yeah... you obviously eat a lot when you go to yakiniku, but i didn't ate more than usual, maybe 9-10 plates between me and my girl (i probably ended up ending most of it though). most plates were 10$ and definitely japanese sized so you add some kimchi, rice and a couple beers + tax and tip and there you are.and service was hella slow so it kind of forced me to order more beer ;) . i was kinda shocked when i got the bill. i have to admit, haven't been to gyu-kaku that often when i was living in japan (i'd much rather go somewhere with 食べ放題 and 飲み放題), but i thought the plates were in the 400-600 yen range or something.

particularly impressed (or maybe its early and I'm just hungry) with the grilled kimchi X tofu X potato X onion wedge X mushroom X garlic X grillin in pork fat grease combination you have going on at the top, I'm more picky about the sides than the actual meat...

I'm the same way with the side dishes. That's what really diffirentiates KBBQ places for me in L.A.

Ditto on the Yogurt Soju, but that's not very hard/expensive to make/mix/obtain... I also cannot imagine drinking that shit with korean bbq... :P

• 2 weeks later...

Back in college I used to do Korean BBQ for my friends; comes together quickly enough and feeds a few;

I'd do this:

3-4lbs of pork loin roll, cut into 2"x1"x3/4" pieces along the grain

marinate in:

1 American-supermarket sized root of ginger (3"x1" approx), grated or shredded

2-3 full heads of garlic, crushed

about 8-10 Tbsps soy sauce, depending whether you have less salty Korean soy sauce or regular Kikkoman

few Tbsps sesame oil

about 10Tbsps gochujang red pepper paste

about 4-8Tbsps honey

couple whole onions in wedges

couple heads green onions sliced in inch pieces

an apple, ripe bartlett pear, or nashi pear, ground and pureed, or if none of those, a quarter can of 7-up

a few shots of soju, rice wine like sake, or if worse comes to worse, vodka

few or several shakes or black pepper

same of salt

let that shit marinate for a few hours in the fridge, you'll be set.

So, my mom was tired of eating the same thing every Christmas and suggested we try something new this year (I've had bulgogi before, just never made it myself) ...

Anyway, I followed your recipe spot-on, and it was awesome. Had some kick too.

Thanks for that, and please, please, please, PM me if you've got anymore.

• 1 month later...

one of the ultimate cultural experiences of the world:

seoul

eating outdoors on the street

on a summer night

in a T shirt and jeans completely comfortable

belly warm with $1.80 soju served ice cold (funny how that happens)

every other customer is over 40 yrs old and has a tie on, just got out of the office

This is my girl from Jamsil, she lived in a crazy ass neighborhood. good memories

sufu content: she had bought her shirt for 5000w ($5) about 10 minutes earlier in Doota shopping center. GANGSTA

DSC02083.jpg