usa :: los angeles :: general

Omnivore

• 4 weeks later...

i'd go with l.a. fitness. out of all the chain gyms they are the most expensive monthly, but well worth it. every time i go to mine the place is clean and organized, there is a huge variety of machines and free weights, a pool, hot tub and sauna, and the people aren't jerks or creeps for the most part. if you need help also, their classes are free and trainers are more than happy to give you some help if you need it.

i paid like 100 to join and 35 a month

Or any place that can cut black hairI because 'm going to be here for awhile and I'm looking for a good place to get a haircut, I have black hair and I'd rather not walk into a random place because usually they don't know how to cut my hair well so can anybody help me out?

24 fitness i think is more modern (because newer places open) but like any other gym place they give you shit with membership...

if you cancel they may make you pay extra fees and all that bs and they still pester you to come back and join us.

if you dont wanna go thru the hassle what you can do is get someone whos a member and borrow their pass and make a fake id. (most places are only black / white photos) so then the original owner of the card cna ask for a replacement for 5/8 bucks and then you guys can go at differnet times... just not within like 5 minutes of each other.

just to be safe.. memorize their address and bday.

l.a. fitness > 24 hour fitness?

It's important to note that all chain gyms vary COMPLETELY by location. For instance, the W. Hollywood 24-Hour Fitness by my house has zero gym parking (all meter parking on a very busy street), is extremely outdated, smelly, a total man-on-man meat market, and packed day and night. The Hollywood/Arclight location, however, is enormous, has pretty great reviews, brand new equipment, etc

I go to a smaller boutique gym that is a great value, but it's nowhere near Highland Park.

I go to 24. I actually like it there. It's open when I'm bored shitless at 12 in the morning. When I go to Huntington Beach, I just stop by the gym and shower up after. I think it's pretty convenient. Anyhow, I paid 400 for 3 years and then it's 50 bucks for life after that. I don't know if you should go to 24 yet, they are planning to go public after. When that happens, 24s will become shitholes.

I just went to the 24 hour Super Sport on Brand in Glendale. I went during a weekday so it wasn't too crowded, and I liked that it has a pool.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to be moving into an apartment on the north side of Culver City. So I need to look in the Beverly Hills/Santa Monica/Culver City area for a gym now.

Does anyone know of a small club in that area that has a pool?

I just went to the 24 hour Super Sport on Brand in Glendale. I went during a weekday so it wasn't too crowded, and I liked that it has a pool.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to be moving into an apartment on the north side of Culver City. So I need to look in the Beverly Hills/Santa Monica/Culver City area for a gym now.

Does anyone know of a small club in that area that has a pool?

You should also look around Westwood/Mid-City West

Try this application:

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=&find_loc=los+angeles%2C+ca&rpp=10&cflt=gyms#mapCenterLat:34.0293205059/mapCenterLng:-118.412017822/mapZoom:12/cats:gyms/rpp:10/sortby:composite/show_more_search_options:true

You can move around on the map / zoom in & out and click "redo search in area" to find gyms in a very specific location ............

This place has a damn fruity name, but some decent reviews. Plus, it's right in Culver City:

http://www.atighteru.com/

• 1 month later...

maybe two.

my cousins down from germany and i really wanted to show him around the city of angels. shopping is our priority and i was thinking of hitting as much as possible between rodeo drive and venice beach.

is this even possible?

and i myself barley know the area,

any good maps someone could recommend that i could either buy there, or for free online?

he's leaving in 5 days so i need to get this shit together.

thank you in advanced.

It's possibe. You guys should take the Metro subway rail and/or the buses that connect. Whenever I have a free day, I like to leave early, somewhere around 9 or 10, I'll hop on the train and you literally have all of LA to your fingertips.Plus, the train doesn't stop running until midnight.

If you're trying to go between Rodeo and Venice, the 720 takes you up and down Wilshire to all the great tourist spots and shopping destinations. That one runs every 2-5 minutes all day.

It costs $1.25 for one-way tickets, but if you plan on doing some heavy traveling, pay $5 for a day pass for unlimited rides on rail/bus. Super efficient, trains come about every 10 minutes at most, and every 3-4 minutes during peak time, while different buses vary. Easy to navigate.

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/maps/12_min_map.pdf

thanks for your help...

la doesn't seem to be very popular?

superfuture has no real maps of it, and i haven't found any shopping guides.

i mean i know there's rodeo drive and venice beach but were else is there to go?

2658065349_7d5dbf36f1_o.jpg

maybe two.

my cousins down from germany and i really wanted to show him around the city of angels. shopping is our priority and i was thinking of hitting as much as possible between rodeo drive and venice beach.

is this even possible?

and i myself barley know the area,

any good maps someone could recommend that i could either buy there, or for free online?

he's leaving in 5 days so i need to get this shit together.

thank you in advanced.

LA is fucking huge. If you really want to shop nowadays though, try 3rd St. between La Cienega and Fairfax, as well as La Brea and La Cienega. I know these street names mean nothing to you, but Marc Jacobs, Paul Smith, APC, etc are here, with the boutiques. Also, Opening Ceremony on La Cienega is one of my favorites.

LA is fucking huge. If you really want to shop nowadays though, try 3rd St. between La Cienega and Fairfax, as well as La Brea and La Cienega. I know these street names mean nothing to you, but Marc Jacobs, Paul Smith, APC, etc are here, with the boutiques. Also, Opening Ceremony on La Cienega is one of my favorites.

All the stores you named are actually on Melrose (except OC).

how's home nowadays? nothing has changed in 2 weeks yet has it?

be sure to catch some food. there's a lot of good food to be found in LA, and it's doesn't always cost an arm and a leg. England knows best.