10 Yen Rivets Project

tony_hige

I only like copper rivets on jeans. I had been digging the fit of the APC New Cures, but I had held off buying a pair because a) no selvage on the side seam, and B) those obnoxious nickel silver rivets. I finally broke down and got a pair. The lack of selvage was okay because I wasn't going to cuff them anyway, but the rivets drove me crazy - I had to replace them w/ copper rivets. So I got this idea to make rivets from Japanese 10 yen coins. Over the Thanksgiving holiday I visited my parents, and with my Dad's help I made the 10 yen rivets and replaced all the rivets on my APC's. I only had four 10 yen coins left over from a recent trip, so I had to be a little crafty getting six rivets out of them. To create the washer part of the rivet - the burr - I drilled holes in the coins and chucked them into a metal lathe to turn them down to a 3/8" diameter. I then just paired them with copper rivets that a got from Tandy and pounded them down by hand. The following photos illustrate the process.

307802659_849565aff3.jpg

307802661_9277b007ce.jpg

307802664_004eab354d.jpg

307802667_d0d244d817_o.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony, you post so seldomly, yet you post so much.

I remember you were talking about replacing rivets before, in the "you know you're addicted" thread. I guess this is the 3rd time you're doing this? Did you use anything interesting in the other ones we should see pics of?