10 Yen Rivets Project

tony_hige

Guest jeffvyain

i was under the impression that it was illegal to deface government property, with the inclusion of its money. i would've thought that 575 would get in quite a bit of shit for something like that. maybe i'm wrong.

i wonder if japan has the same laws regarding defacing money. i could totally be off the ball here.

that's cool as hell though. that metal has got to be significantly thicker than most rivets. it would kick ass on some some 21 oz iron hearts or something.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was under the impression that it was illegal to deface government property, with the inclusion of its money. i would've thought that 575 would get in quite a bit of shit for something like that. maybe i'm wrong.

i remeber hearing somewhere that its frowned upon but not illegal to destroy pennies. which is why you see penny smashing things at amusement parks, waste of money that is, spending money to destroy money.

back to the focus of this topic, awesome idea Tony, looks great.

I knew high school machine shop wasn't a waste! I have a few questions for you.

Do you have the lathe in your house, or was it your father who obtained acces to the machines? Also, are the edges sharp or did you smooth them out? (I guess it really doesn't matter)

I think a micrometer in your back pocket would make a cool wear pattern, though I fugure that would damage the instrument.

Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback. Yes, I have replaced rivets before, but this is the first time I made rivets. I don't know if Tandy ships overseas...they probably do, but that's a question for them. I thought about pennies, but if I was going to do that I'd have to get some real old indian head pennies or something. I just liked the artwork of the ten yen. I miked a regular copper burr and the ten yen and remember noting that the difference in thickness was about the same as six sheets of paper. I did smooth the edges with an emery cloth while the rivet was still chucked into the lathe.

just found out that it is illegal in japan to chop up any of its currencies. there was this company that was making little home magic trick kit that included japanese coins with holes in them. that company got sued. might want to use some caution, especially when you travel to japan. sucks.

• 4 weeks later...
Milling the coins down to rivets took me a day. Actually removing the nickel rivets and replacing them with the yen rivets only took a matter of minutes.

i'd no idea removing rivets was so easy - as far as attaching new rivets goes it's simply using a rivet press?

were there problems caused by different sizes of the holes (in the denim)? would this be a problem if attempted with worn jeans - might the wear have enlarged the holes?

Yes, that easy. And any variation in the size of the hole is insignificant. If you're in NYC, go to Steinloff and Stoller - the lady there can change rivets in a matter of seconds.

i'd no idea removing rivets was so easy - as far as attaching new rivets goes it's simply using a rivet press?

were there problems caused by different sizes of the holes (in the denim)? would this be a problem if attempted with worn jeans - might the wear have enlarged the holes?

Yes, that easy. And any variation in the size of the hole is insignificant. If you're in NYC, go to Steinloff and Stoller - the lady there can change rivets in a matter of seconds.

interesting, that - matter of seconds indeed. also, i second the copper rivet note...nickels just don't cut it. gold or silver might, but copper is well copper.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...