Bicyclettes

canice

Anyone wear a helmet? I've decided that there are somethings I don't want to live through so I usually don't but then I read this.

I wear one... they look stupid, but necessary evil. I have a Bell Faction.

http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/productDetail.asp?prodID=7

mine is the dumb Tony Hawk one, because that was the only black or grey one they had at the store. It's pretty cheap ($30-40), and doesn't have that weird pointy look that some of the regular bike helmets have.

The Citi is pretty nice too:

http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/productDetail.asp?prodID=9

(there's also the Metropolis, which is similar, but more expensive, and with an adjustable headband).

I've seen some people make convincing arguments that helmets aren't that important, but I know a woman whose ex-husband fell off his bike and has had major brain injury as a result - injuries he almost definitely wouldn't have had if he had been wearing a helmet.

I did see one study that shows motorists give bikers w/o a helmet a wider berth.

i'm gonna be getting a fixie for graduation as a gift. i'm working with a relatively high price range (upwards of $1700). does anybody know any good fixies that i can both sort of "learn" on and still keep a ways down the line? i don't really know anything about bicycle construction so i'm looking to buy a complete. i've been leaning towards a complete bianchi pista concept but i'd like to get some opinions.

is the bianchi pista concept a good bike to "learn" the fixie trade on but still keep and upgrade down the line? i've got a pretty big budget for my first fixie. i'm looking to buy a complete bike as i'm not really experienced in bike building or anything like that. is the pista concept too heavy of a fixie? what other good (but still aesthetically pleasing) complete fixie bikes are for sale?

is the bianchi pista concept a good bike to "learn" the fixie trade on but still keep and upgrade down the line? i've got a pretty big budget for my first fixie. i'm looking to buy a complete bike as i'm not really experienced in bike building or anything like that. is the pista concept too heavy of a fixie? what other good (but still aesthetically pleasing) complete fixie bikes are for sale?

Pista concept aint heavy at all relative to my OLD japanese made steel track frame. If you want to get a fixed gear bike i would recommend u to get a cheaper one unless u take a bike a fashion accessory. Building bike can be hard but its part of the fun. Pista Concept is my dream I guess u r lucky hehe. Other than that i am in Aussie Pista Concept is one of the most expensive pista u can get. :S

I wouldn't suggest learning it on a concept and when you say heavy, my concept is the lightest bike i've ever owned.

Go to your local bike co-op that has used stuff. Build up a conversion on an old road frame, then upgrade from there.

Complete and affordable. IRO, Pake, Mercier, Dawes.

stock sest on my rush hour broke. don't ask me how but somehow one of the cromo rails came out of its spot at the rear of the seat and does not want to go back. any suggestions on seats? not that down with brooks. what is comfy light and fairly cheap?

bare knuckles only come in even sizes... and i think i'm a 53cm. does the 1cm between a 53 and a 54 really make that much of a difference?

Nah not that much difference....I love riding smaller bike for some reason. I think its easier to handle. and look better when the seat post is higher. I ride 54cm but can ride 56cm.

Cheer,

Dub.

so i've decided to start a fixed gear build this summer, but i'm having a lot of trouble deciding between frames. budget won't be huge, so as far as a frame/fork goes i'm trying to find something under $450. i've narrowed my choices to:

eai brassknuckle

pake track

surly steamroller

now i suppose my question is this: i'm going to be using this as a commuter around los angeles, and where i live its particularly hilly (nothing too drastic but still...) so would it be worth just saving up longer (around till the end of the summer) to buy something lighter (like a bareknuckle)?

Pista concepts are relatively light compared to some steel frames. If you're concerned with having a lightweight, fast bike, a concpet is a good idea. If you want a bike that can take some abuse, i.e. learning tricks, etc. then I say go for a cheaper steel frame seeing as how you're going to be slamming it on the regular.