Bicyclettes

canice

it is interesting in seeing a non aero post on those frames, but bridgestone/anchor didn't make it with an aero seat tube. apparently these are awaiting NJS certification along with disc wheels, so the keirin circuit is going to change face a little.

Ok so here's what I'm riding:

2007 Bianchi Pista Concept 57cm

Athena (Perl) White / Celeste / Carbon Fork

SRAM Track Cranks 48T

Euro-Asia Imports Gold Medal Cog 17T

Cane Creek Crono 1.0 Track Hub

Cane Creek Volos Tubular Wheelset

Continental Podium Tires 700x19C

Deda Elementi Pista Bars, Stem and Post

Tange Headset

Bianchi Pro Pista White Saddle (Indigo dyed from a pair of Self Edge x Iron Hearts)

MKS Custom Nuevo Wide Pedals, Toshi Double Straps, Soma Double Gate Clips

bianchi2007pistaconcept01.jpg

bianchi2007pistaconcept02.jpg

bianchi2007pistaconcept03.jpg

bianchi2007pistaconcept04.jpg

bianchi2007pistaconcept05.jpg

bianchi2007pistaconcept06.jpg

bianchi2007pistaconcept07.jpg

bianchi2007pistaconcept08.jpg

TragicBliss..That is seriously the most beautiful bike i've ever seen.

And i'm not normally into road bikes.

I'm very happy that it was one of MY jeans that stained that bike seat.

Once again, amazing work there...

06s were the last year the bikes came with clincher rims. the 07 are tubulars, like tragicbliss's.

foolproof cogs and lockrings: eai or dura ace

i took apart my whole bike and cleaned and rebuilt it today. repacked the headset, bb, pedals, cleaned the chain. so relaxing. now all i need is to get my wheels retensioned.

i'm feeling the colors on the new concepts. how are those cranks?

your seat looks like its pointed at a prostate problem angle and i vote flip that stem

the colors are awesome. i wouldn't flip the stem bc that would be super uncomfortable but maybe a flat stem bc the rise (though it probly is much more comfy) is killing the overall look

The bars are perfectly comfortable where they're at right now, so I'm not flipping the stem. I might be getting some new bars in the next couple weeks though and I have a friend who can get me some Campagnolo Record gear on the cheap, so I might be swapping out to all campy Pista components in a few weeks. Oh and the seat is just on lean for dramatic effect. I do run an angle though, it just feels better with drops.

Is a bike in Los Angeles actually worth it? I'm hesitant towards getting a bike here, because it doesn't seem as practical in other cities.

Depends where you live exactly, and where you're trying to go, but I think so. It's not as bad as you'd think. I see a ton of people getting around on bikes, and I have several co-workers who bike. Also, in LA proper, you're allowed to ride on the sidewalk if you can do so safely. Since most of the time no one's walking anyway, you can sometimes cut onto the sidewalk for a little if riding on the street isn't practical.

Most of the buses have bike racks on the front if you want to bike some and ride some, and you can take your bike on the Metro.

So i just took a new job where i can ride to work everyday. I used to manage a bike shop and race mountain bikes (about 7 years ago), and about 4 years ago switched to only road riding, no racing, but high speed road riding (i currently own a Specialized Roubaix). Anyway, i've been riding that bike to work, but am worried that the super light weight components (folding bead tires and wheels especially) will not hold up so well to the abuse of riding in traffic and over the occasional pot hole and cobble stones of Red Hook. so i've been looking into building a fixed gear for this purpose (commuting).

My question is, as someone who rides high end bikes (but has never owned a fixed gear) am i going to be remotely happy riding a entry level fixed gear (sub $600), or should I up my budget (keep in mind that despite wanting a nice ride, i don't want to have to baby it like with my road bike)? Also, i ride a compact geometry road frame, and really feel that it suits my stance and beleive in the benefits over traditional road geometry (perhaps due to my mountain bike past). Are there any fixed frames that offer this geometry outside of the Langster?

is there a big differenece between the 06 and 07 pista concepts? there is an 06 on ebay for ~560 shipped but MSRP is 1400? was the MSRP for 06's less?

$1400 = complete.

$560 = frame.

They had offered the 07 as complete only, however I have seen LBS selling frame only for about $650.

So afaik, they changed their mind and have begun selling frame only OR complete.

So i just took a new job where i can ride to work everyday. I used to manage a bike shop and race mountain bikes (about 7 years ago), and about 4 years ago switched to only road riding, no racing, but high speed road riding (i currently own a Specialized Roubaix). Anyway, i've been riding that bike to work, but am worried that the super light weight components (folding bead tires and wheels especially) will not hold up so well to the abuse of riding in traffic and over the occasional pot hole and cobble stones of Red Hook. so i've been looking into building a fixed gear for this purpose (commuting).

My question is, as someone who rides high end bikes (but has never owned a fixed gear) am i going to be remotely happy riding a entry level fixed gear (sub $600), or should I up my budget (keep in mind that despite wanting a nice ride, i don't want to have to baby it like with my road bike)? Also, i ride a compact geometry road frame, and really feel that it suits my stance and beleive in the benefits over traditional road geometry (perhaps due to my mountain bike past). Are there any fixed frames that offer this geometry outside of the Langster?

Giant Bowery uses compact geometry. I believe it comes in a polished and a green of some sort. Personally I am not a fan of it, as I do not like the look of modern frames, but I hear its a good bike for about 500-550

your gunna like the frame and hate all the components. everyone i know who's bought an entry level complete has switch nearly everypart out within a year. if you want go for a complete thats gunna hold up and u'll be happy with you should check http://www.irocycles.com their completes a little more but the quality is so much better

your gunna like the frame and hate all the components. everyone i know who's bought an entry level complete has switch nearly everypart out within a year. if you want go for a complete thats gunna hold up and u'll be happy with you should check http://www.irocycles.com their completes a little more but the quality is so much better

yeah, i've read about the IRO, but i guess my concern was seeing that so many of the components on their stock models are proprietary which (as the above poster noted) is commonly synonymous with low quality, but again, my experience is from large manufacturers of racing bikes, not small time companies like IRO. if people say their parts will hold up, i'm willing to pay the money... i was a bit worried about the weight of the IRO (seems heavy)...

what about the EAI Brass Knuckle? anyone ride this ever? It seems very much like the geometry of my road bike (based on the measurements at bikebiz) and i'm assuming it's lighter being aluminum. I would also be my goal if possible to have my stance be as close as possible to my road bike stance, so it could be used for training as well.

I don't mind putting the money into replacement parts, as i do it with all my bikes, but having worked as a mechanic before, i know that you will never get a full package as cheaply as when you buy it stock, so i'd like what i start with to be a really good value (not necessarily the cheapest quickset route).

NYtimes did an article on fixed gear today..

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?ex=1335499200&en=e9429f2f078ba4be&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

I think there is a review of the brassknuckle on fixedgeargallery.com. I don't know much about it, but it sure looks nice.

what about the EAI Brass Knuckle? anyone ride this ever? It seems very much like the geometry of my road bike (based on the measurements at bikebiz) and i'm assuming it's lighter being aluminum. I would also be my goal if possible to have my stance be as close as possible to my road bike stance, so it could be used for training as well.

I've never riden one but Orange 20 just built this Brass Knuckle for some dude. At least it looks pretty fresh!

mikeyp.jpg

you can strip a frame very easily with JASCO. this is also good for removing clear coat if you use a light application for a short period so you can pull off decals.

Is a bike in Los Angeles actually worth it? I'm hesitant towards getting a bike here, because it doesn't seem as practical in other cities.

looks like it!

P1010338-001_1177806002.jpg

Here's my Schwinn Rocket 88. Built by an ex pro downhill racer who wanted a personal XC bike. I only have it cuz he didn't have money to pay me for the motorcycle race leather suit he wanted from me. Took this bike in trade. The guy at the bike shop said it was worth around $2,500 back when it was new. I don't even ride it cuz I'm lazy. But I'm too lazy to sell it.

CIMG3559.jpg