Bicyclettes

canice

Not really sure if this is the correct place to be asking this, but can anyone help a beginner out? Not looking to get into fixies or anything, but just want to get a bike for recreation and some occasional commuting. I haven't really ridden a bike in the past 7-8 years, so I'm a bit rusty. The bike will probably see road as well as light trails. I would like to keep it in the $300-$400 range. Any input/suggestions?

I don't know how well it would handle light trails (do you mean paved ones or dirt?) Anyway, check out the Kona Smoke - I think about $350ish... the gf has one and likes it a lot. Good value.

Check Craigslist too, if there's one for your area. You could probably find a used Bianchi hybrid / cruiser type bike for pretty cheap. I've seen a couple on the LA Craigslist recently.

I have a NY Krypto... the one with the huge fucking chain.

...my bike is more or less a beat up piece of shit too, probably only worth as much as the lock. =D

Also,

They totally are, but as lots of dudes ride drop/chopped bars, you don't see them too often.

i meant done as in over, i'm tired of it

dangydang: get a cyclocross or hybrid. cross bikes have a more aggressive geometry like a road bike (with drop levers) but clearance for wider, treaded tires suitable for paths and trails. and hybrids are just practical, have eyelets for fenders, racks, and are comfortable to ride.

photo.php?pid=30197988&id=82601585

got this guy a few mths back.. took off the fenders

was going to get a 10speed but a friend told me to get a fixd gear... he said hes been riding them for the last 2 yrs or so and they are really fun.. so i went to the store and asked the person selling me the bike(this old old guy) he said to get one too.. so i was just like what the hell ill try it out... all i can say is that thankgod for my friend and the storekeeper... riding a fixed gear is loads of fun.

crazy how hyped they are getting with a article in the nytimes and a lot of fixed gear news on honeyee thru hiroshifujiwara and mashsf

thats pretty sick ^... gotta love kraftwerk though cheaaa... this remind me of the Nike SB on tap video, where they are doing tricks in a studio environtment, and everything is slow mo SO dope.

WTF IS THIS PIECE OF SHIT? i could of made a video of some slow motion shit with cross dissolves..you owe me 7 minutes of my life back.

This type of reply was funny the first time I read it on YouTube back in 2005. Know it's just stupid.

Fun video Arevalo.

so picked up pista inally today g for my first play on t later,how do you go about removing decals?as im not really keen on these at all?

yeah, all the actuall "bianchi" logos have a clear coat over them. the decals on the tires can be peeled right off, mine left nothing behind. It actually looks pretty nice if you just get rid of those, or most of em. I also peeled off the "bianchiusa.com" sticker that was on the frame near the back cog.. although it was on there pretty good, i probably could have used a hairdrier.

are you gonna rock the cheetah skin seat? i got tired of people just commenting on the saddle and not the bike...

ok looks like the bianchis are staying until i possibly give it a paint job,just got back off my first ride loving it,felt a little hairy on the roads with a bit of traffic but thats got more to do with not riding in 5 years i think,up hill is way easier than i thought it would be tackled a 8 story carpark,so yea totally loving it

andrew i got the 07 which in uk is chrome so dose not have the cheater seat im gonna get a brooks leather saddle pretty soon,my next 50 needs to go in to kripto newyork lock though so i can actually ride to places!

whipped rest of the decals off the wheels etc think il get a bar protecter of some sort to cover up the pista on the crossbar.

thanks every1 whogave me advice.

yea i fitted a bmx break on the front,brighton is super hilly so especially while learning to ride fixed front brake is a necessity,went out for 2 hrs in the rain today just couldnt resist riding.one these days il get up the bottle to attack these decals im just scared of fuking up the chrome

anyone have dura ace hun with phil cog set up? Do you need spacer between the cog and the DA lockring??

Cheer,

Dub.

i don't know why you'd need to run a spacer unless you were adjusting your chainline, thus running it between the cog and hub.

i wear a helmet now (bell sweep xc), because my boyfriend guilted me into promising.

the first couple days of wearing it were brutality, but i've been almost hit three or four times the past week, so i figure it's for the best. plus it's a race helmet so it doesn't wobble around, and it's super light/vented.

"It feels really strange to have a truck run over your head"

uhhhhh... ya think? I have a helmet.. but i don't really wear it. I'm sure i should though. I should also have brakes.. and gears. maybe.

There are a lot of cyclists that argue enforcing helmet use is bad for cycling, and there fore everyone, and I'm sure in a lot of situations having a helmet on your head would make no difference... However a helmet could prevent a lot of bad head banging on small to medium accidents, and possibly save your life.

I only wear one on longer rides however...

Anyone wear a helmet? I've decided that there are somethings I don't want to live through so I usually don't but then I read this.

Depends... My commute to work is only 10 minutes, haven't worn one yet. 5BBT insisted that you wore a helmet. Didn't want to drop 150 plus so I found a bell alchera for around $40 from nashbar. Freaking thing looked like a giant mushroom on my head. I know it's not about style but goddam thing went back. Found the bell furio at a lbs for around $55. Not to bulky and i'll rock it for the longer rides.