Bicyclettes

canice

Do you think I should ditch the frame? After looking at my finaces and how many parts I need to get the bike road ready, this is turning into a beater project. something to get me from apt to school. Should I be looking for a different starting point?

nice ride mike.. don't convert that bad boy!

can't get much better than chrome? that's crazy talk. bailey works and freigh baggage stomp the shit out of chrome.

everyone needs to go check out http://www.trackosaurusrex.com NOW.

from my experience with reload chrome and bailey works, reload will hold the most shit but chrome is by far the most comfortable. bailey works is in between on both. chrome is great for just takign around books and such but anything larger doesn't work to well

I've decided not to convert my old road bikes, I still want a single speed to get around town. i know a lot of you are gonna tell me to convert one or build one from the ground up, but i don't have the time or know-how to do it right.

so i'm thinkin about buying an off the shelf single speed... i'm looking to spend around 500, but the lower the better and i'm not really concerned with performance quality, as long as it doesn't fall apart on me. my big problem is that i want a single speed with hand breaks, not a fixie, and they've been harder for me to find. so i may buy a fixed and eventually put a freewheel and breaks on it

i've looked at a few online, both single speeds and fixed gear, including:

Bianchi Pista, but it's a little more than i wanna spend

Windsor The Hour, but it's really cheap and i'm worried about quality

Specialized Langster, but it's more than i wanna spend

KHS Flite

IRO Cycle (a couple different models)

any input on any of these, or any other suggestions?

Thanks!!!

My Fit Flow Park for your viewing pleasures...

Team BSP Por Vida.

DSC00009-785755.JPG

DSC00007-785701.JPG

Are your feelings on the clips still the same? I've been hearing that the clips dig into your feet and are too wide for the straps to be secure. I still wanna try toshi double straps though, I guess I'll use single strap clips.

No, these Soma double gate clips are nice. I wear Vans when I ride and they fit pretty much perfectly. Between the clips and the Toshi doubles this setup is super comfortable and stiff.

On another note, I just picked up this Euro-Asia Imports Gold Medal Cog from Orange 20 on Saturday. Titanium nitride coated sickness...

eaigoldmedalcog.jpg

what the goddamn kind of hub is that?

eric:

if you're staying with a freewheel bike, you may as well just ride your road bike. it's neither high-performance enough to use as long-distance exercise, nor is it too flashy to be a theft-risk. i would just ride the bikes you have.

thanks canice. i've got no problem riding a geared bike, but they're both in worse shape then i first thought and it looks like they're gonna need substantial work, some i can do, some i don't trust myself to do, so i'd have to pay for it... spending that much, i'd be half way to buying a new one...

how much was that cog at orange 20? they never pick up the phone when i call them. too bad that thing will only look that bright and shiny for a week or so.

those volos wheelsets are really nice. i don't know if i'd trust my big ass on those on the street being 210#+.

i'll agree with canice on the bikes eric... but if you really want to get a new bike, do the KHS or bianchi. the hour's parts are garbage, although it is the same frame as the fuji tracks, but those have been going downhill.

it's very sexy. you ride tubulars. that must mean you have both time and money.

Actually Canice I don't find myself lately with as much of either of those as I would like.

Hey Tragic would you mind posting a flic of your fixed? Its got me curious to what the whole ride looks like.

Yeah I'll post pictures tomorrow after work. I ride an 07 Concept now. Pearl white!

how much was that cog at orange 20? they never pick up the phone when i call them. too bad that thing will only look that bright and shiny for a week or so.

those volos wheelsets are really nice. i don't know if i'd trust my big ass on those on the street being 210#+.

You just have to go down to Orange 20. When I rolled up there on Saturday night there were a bunch of dudes hanging out drinking beers. So I'm pretty sure they just kick it hard all day. And they're open until 10 so it's no big deal. I think the cog came out to 120 bucks or something.

I'm not actually too fond of these tubular Volos. On the road they're just too rough. Cane Creek makes a clincher version, but I'm not on them. I might go the Open Pro route, but I've got my eye on some other stuff first.

i'll agree with canice on the bikes eric... but if you really want to get a new bike, do the KHS or bianchi. the hour's parts are garbage, although it is the same frame as the fuji tracks, but those have been going downhill.

thanks ml, i'm gonna go to a friend's shop that may let me do the work on my old bikes there; to save some money and get some free lessons. otherwise, the khs and pista were the two i was seriously considering even though they're both a little more than i originally planned on spending.

You just have to go down to Orange 20. When I rolled up there on Saturday night there were a bunch of dudes hanging out drinking beers. So I'm pretty sure they just kick it hard all day. And they're open until 10 so it's no big deal. I think the cog came out to 120 bucks or something.

Orange 20 is great! They usually sell stuff a little below other places, and the guys are pretty nice. They took forever to get my gf her Kona Smoke (and kept forgetting her name), though. Their hours are convenient too, and they're not usually *too* patronizing (TJ is the nicest). They have these great superbright red flashers that you can see like a mile a way - I actually got a compliment on it from someone in a car biking back from yoga tonight.

Make sure to get ice cream at Scoops across the way when you visit.

This combination (plus the Bike Kitchen) is one of the things that I'm sad about from selling out to the west side. However, the 1 mile bike to work is a lot nicer than my old commute.

w

thanks ml, i'm gonna go to a friend's shop that may let me do the work on my old bikes there; to save some money and get some free lessons. otherwise, the khs and pista were the two i was seriously considering even though they're both a little more than i originally planned on spending.

Where do you live? A lot of cities have bike co-ops that will help you build a project bike from spare parts and what have you. I don't know that much, but the Bianchis are at least very nice looking, and I've been happy with mine so far.

The Kona stuff is a good value - I think they have a not-too-expensive fixie model.

w

Anyone know much about Marinoni bikes? From what I've gathered there Canadian made and seem to be of good quality. Right know I ride a 2003 Devinchi Destination that I was able to pick up on the cheap but I have been looking at adding a fixed gear to the mix if I can do it for the right price.

0b7c_20.jpg

I've found this setup for $100cad, not sure on the size, age or condition yet but if it all checks out would this be worth it? I only bought my other bike last year I don't really want to spend too much also I'd like to maybe build it myself to gain some experience. Think it could be done for $4-500 including the frame if I use some pretty run of the mill components?

Edit: Heres what I ride now. Some old man rode it for a couple of years then upgraded. I paid $500 for a bike that goes for $1200 new, I figured it was a good deal.

2006Julyparade118.jpg

edit2: So I've done some research and I think I've found two brands by the same name. Either way they seem to be of good quality.

that thing looks pretty sweet knucks, have fun!

spotted my pop's old schwinn hanging in his garage today, its in good shape.. and it has horizontal dropouts! i think i'm gonna commandeer it and do a conversion..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Single-speed-messenger-bike-MBK-road-racer-courier_W0QQitemZ1501144

could this be a good starting piont for first bike,i know not currently fixed but im guessing quite cheap and easy to convert

i checked out pista in flesh,i like it but i knoww id want to keep fiddling with it,in particular frame colour love the geometry but not keen on the chrome after seeing in flesh i guess could always get apaint job on it

i'd say spend the extra $100. the truvativ cranks are much nicer than what comes on that frame and both frames you'll be buying are nicer (khs is reynolds 531 and the bianchi is some solid 5130).

holy shit, i didnt' realize those cogs were $120. i guess it looks awesome, but not when a normal EAI cog is like $25.