Bicyclettes

canice

nice wheels san!

is your top tube dented or is that just the lighting?

thanks ml

ye its wierd coz the dent is perfectly equal on both sides so it doesnt look that bad.. infact im quite fond of it. dunno what old italian women do to their bikes but whatevs

Here's the new window display at Self Edge, we just finished it a few nights ago..

bike-2-798404.jpg

bike-4-721904.jpg

bike-1-798342.jpg

sweet. It looks good.. although i dunno if you could really beat the one that was in there before! I need to get back out there... maybe i'll bring my bike and see if i can ride in brand new stiff denim i can barely walk in.... :)

will someone break down the pedal game for me? i'm about to buy a complete fixie but i don't think pedals are included. will anyone tell me how i should go about buying a pedal/strap/toe clip setup?

Start by reading this Wiki article.

Your local bike shop will probably try and steer you towards clipless pedals unless they know what's up with the whole fixed gear trend. Most track-ish aesthetic riders run clips and straps on track pedals. Just seach google and you can find some track related online spots. Supporting your local shop if they have what you want though, goes without saying.

Are you looking for pedal advice? I'm not pro or anything but I was suggested to get some MKS Sylvan, they are what I was looking for..Check eBay, I got mine there. They came w/ straps + toe clips.

the perfect pedal, cheap, they last, they're comfy, they spin well

Are you looking for pedal advice? I'm not pro or anything but I was suggested to get some MKS Sylvan, they are what I was looking for..Check eBay, I got mine there. They came w/ straps + toe clips.

the perfect pedal, cheap, they last, they're comfy, they spin well. just make sure you get the right size cages if not you'll be all thrown off in your pedal stroke.

actually, i'd rather wear clipless (better power transfer and form). but it's more convenient to be able to wear street shoes when you're running around town all day.

i ordered some of thos mks sylvans off of ebay on friday. I can post pictures when they show up if anyone wants. I'd like to try clipless sometime, but as most of my riding is to school and work clips/straps just seem so much more logical. Maybe when i get the get the time/ends to build up another fix i'll make the change....

what kinds of bags is everyone rocking? I'm just using an old santa cruz backpack that works pretty well, but i get the feeling that there's a world of better things out there...

if you get a messenger I think a cross strap is pretty useful. my Y-3 bag has a strap that goes from one bottom corner to the middle of the main strap, but you can also hook it up so that it goes from bottom corner to bottom corner (around the belly), really useful. overall, I dont see that big of a difference in a backpack or a messenger, as long as its not hanging under your ass both will work fine :P

it's back sweat season. this sucks.

i ride a timbuk2, which i bought before i started riding (wouldn't have otherwise). it works decently well considering i only commute, but i wouldn't trust it to get me through much else. when i go grocery shopping or haul massive amounts, i load up my gigantic supreme 19th since it is both bigger and less painful to carry 50 lbs of shit.

i'm on the fence right now, trying to decide whether i want a bagaboo or a pacdesigns.com bag. getting a workhorse-type bag seems a little too tech, but these days i tend to live out my bag when at school, so maybe it's time.

For messenger bags, I don't think you can beat the quality of Chrome. I bought the Chrome Metropolis bag to use as a carry-on bag when I travel. It can fit a whole lot of stuff in there. I haven't really used it on my rides simply because I don't need to carry that much when I'm riding. But if you haul a lot on your bike, this definitely comes in handy.

I usually just use the Deuter Race X Air when I ride long distances because of the hydration pack and because it's light (10 liters). And the Air Comfort back design on the bag prevents any back sweat that Canice alluded to.

def. back sweat season. i find myself wearing a bag sometimes just to carry along spare tees.

Interesting thing happened to me on the way to class today... my left crank arm almost fell off. Thank god i was about to go on a bridge so i was up on the sidewalk, i'd have been fucked if i was in traffic. I assume that the shop i got my pista from didn't tighten it down or install it correctly. Anywayyyss.. now i'm trying to get it all tightened down.. how tight am i supposed to get this? Should the crank be sitting right up inside the cavity area on the the frame?

UPS guy delivered my new pedal setup today. MKS Custom Nuevo Wide pedals, Soma Oppy XX Four-Gate toe clips and Fujitoshi Deluxe double straps. Cage is super stiff with this setup. I dig it.

april07pickups01.jpg

Are your feelings on the clips still the same? I've been hearing that the clips dig into your feet and are too wide for the straps to be secure. I still wanna try toshi double straps though, I guess I'll use single strap clips.

finally managed to put this together. I'm still waiting to get new pedals (sylvans), the current ones are just some that I had lying around, just wanted to get it running. and I have a nitto bar which I'll probably throw on it

bike01.jpg

finally managed to put this together. I'm still waiting to get new pedals (sylvans), the current ones are just some that I had lying around, just wanted to get it running. and I have a nitto bar which I'll probably throw on it

bike01.jpg

I love ur fork.......are u gona turn it into a fixie??

For messenger bags, I don't think you can beat the quality of Chrome.

I saw a LOT of these around town when I was up in SF this past weekend. I don't personally love the look of the Chrome bags (esp. the buckles), but they do seem very popular. I am kicking it posenger style with a Bailey Works bag that I LOVE so far, from Orange 20 in LA. They have a great selection of mess bags, and will usually sell them a little below list.

Mine is a grey superpro w/ yellow lining, like this one:

nav_cat_superpro.gif

I really like the cross-strap.

I also like the Freight Baggage ones, and I've heard their backpacks are great.

I really like the top right and bottom left ones from the image on their main site:

main.jpg

So I just found an old '71 Schwinn Varsity frame and Im planning on building it into a budget fixed gear bike. Ive been googling for information for a while now and all i can find is tutorials on conversions or expensive gear. Does anybody know where i can get budget parts or a good shop in SF to stop by for some help? thanks

^ check out www.bikeforums.net in the singlespeed & fixed gear section. there is a budget DIY sticky that will answer most of your questions. searching on there will provide a wealth of info. do some research and you will learn everything you need down to doing your own maintenance, which will save you time and money in the long run.

also, schwinn varsity's must be the heaviest frames i've ever seen aside from the schwinn or mongoose branded frames they used for the IU Little 500 the past 5 or so years.