Bicyclettes

canice

jesus christ i've found the light. i switched to spd's this weekend from clips+straps, and despite the -10000000 style points, i'm converted! reborn as a cyclist! the power transfer! the security!

no 0 kmph tip-overs or unclipping mishaps yet (knocks on wood).

careful

spds are generally not the best choice for fixed as they're known to pop out more than others

but i rode some for a little over a year and only popped out once. ended up switching back to clips and straps for convenience

i don't think you need a lot of float, you just need to adjust your cleats to a position that's comfortable. i'm getting a little bit of float on this pedal, and i have a bad left knee. i found once i dialed in the cleat position, having it fixed in one spot was more comfortable than some wild irregular stroke pattern when my feet weren't strapped down super tight.

A lot of folks say that the Speedplay and Eggbeater ones are better if your knees are bad, but harder to get used to if you're used to pedals that have less lateral float (I guess it feels a little like gliding on ice or something). Since I'm not used to either, I've thought about trying the speedplay ones.

I'm also intrigued by the MKS "EZ" series, which lets you switch pedals quickly and w/o tools. They're similar to SPD, but not compatible.

For those of you in the Bay Area (California), there's an Alley Cat

Race on Sunday July 8th.

Self Edge is one of the sponsors, so if you're into denim there's

always the chance of winning a SE gift certificate along with other prizes including cash prizes and Timbuk2 bags.

The race is based around fixie riders, but other single trackers of any

kind are welcome.

race_flyer_48_compressed-794680.jpg

spds only pop out when the cleats are worn down. you're supposed to replace them yearly anyway.

speedplays are pricy. that ruled em out. and they're proprietary.

Canice - I picked up the 06 soloist a couple months ago with some speedplays for a great price. I love it and did a tour on it as well. Great weekend rider when i'm off the fixed and want to put on some serious miles. Go Cervelo!

Dudes I need a new saddle, mine is all fucked up and I swear it bruises my ass on rides over 10 miles. I have an old 80s KHS special and don't know shit about bikes other than getting point A to point B. The bike isn't worth much so I don't want to spend too much money on a seat, was thinking around 60 bucks? Any suggestions?

If you have a good LBS, they might have loaners of a few different models that you can try out to get a sense of what you like/don't like. Finding the perfect saddle is something that can take a really long time and a lot of (unfortunately expensive) trial and error.

I've found Selle San Marco Regals, Brooks Team Pros, and Vetta SLs all to be quite comfy. You might hate them. Lots of people love Selle Italia Turbos, and I can't stand them (even though I love the way the stripey ones look). I've heard great things about the Fizik saddles (the Arione and Aliante Ti in particular) and the Ti Swift as well.

Most of those are well above your $60 price point, though. I've heard good things about some of the Specialized Body Geometry saddles - I think some of those will work within your budget.

i can't claim to understand the physiology of the male body, but i've noticed that new school riders seem to like selle italia flites or ariones, old school like concor rolls or turbos.

speaking of which, i asked my friend about this but he couldn't quite explain it... how does a guy arrange his balls on a saddle? do they both get pushed to one side? do they drape over the seat, one on each side? do you tuck em back or push them forward? i just don't understand where they fit.... and how it can be comfortable at all.

oh also, girls are advised to measure their sit bones and buy accordingly, maybe that doesn't hold true for guys. but sit on a mousepad and measure where the indents are. long-term comfort depends on you perching on your sitbones, not on flesh.

in my experience saddles are the most important purchase on a bike, so i wouldn't skimp if i were you. but lots of cheap, great racing saddles end up on craigslist, so you could find one in your budget.

Canice - I picked up the 06 soloist a couple months ago with some speedplays for a great price. I love it and did a tour on it as well. Great weekend rider when i'm off the fixed and want to put on some serious miles. Go Cervelo!

okay so i reconsidered buying carbon, which rules out the specialized ruby. i got scared after hearing my friend got into a wreck yesterday and totalled his giant. apparently the whole fork cracked in half and his downtube sheared? (shudders). on the plus side i won't have to spend so much.

to be honest, cervelo is kind of out of my budget too, but i want to support a canadian business. if i wait til september, i will probably score one at 60% msrp at the bike show - but i don't think i can wait that long.

oh also, girls are advised to measure their sit bones and buy accordingly, maybe that doesn't hold true for guys. but sit on a mousepad and measure where the indents are. long-term comfort depends on you perching on your sitbones, not on flesh.

I've sat on cardboard with a naked buttocks whilst the cardboard is resting on a curb. Then you can take the cardboard to your LBS and check saddle width. Does this help? Not sure but it's a great excuse to drop your pants standing on the side of the road.

It hurts looking at that saddle..

Anyone know anything about knee pain? Just got back from an orthopedist. My knees felt like they were on fire this weekend after a 20 mile ride on my geared bike. WTF? I've done way longer rides with no problems but they've been acting up ever since. Doc told me to stretch and do some leg exercises but i'm not buying it. I always stretch before riding. Might get a second opionion from another doctor. Any suggestions?

I ride 165mm. 170 is just asking for pedal strike on a fixed.

if its a conversion. 170 + track frame + street + knowing to keep an eye on pedal position = just fine

edit: pedal width has something to do with it too

spds only pop out when the cleats are worn down. you're supposed to replace them yearly anyway.

speedplays are pricy. that ruled em out. and they're proprietary.

i've been riding Ti spindled speedplays (of the MTB platform variety) on my last four bikes and switching back and forth. I'll never go back to spd's, the freedom of float is amazing and NO MOVING PARTS=NO BUSTED SPRINGS (although i'd consider Looks for serious road riding). That said they are pricey (i got mine super cheap while working at a shop).

and, count me in for Selle Italia Flites and Turbos (especially the Bernard Hinault editions) and for the now defunct Vetta TT (possibly my favorite saddle ever, if anyone has a newish one please PM, i blew out mine for good LAST WEEK).

also: I'm so excited, i'm heading to Trackstar after work to pick up my new EAI BrassKnuckle... can't wait.

Yea pedal strike scares me but it is a conversion and I am using the stock pedals that I bought along with the frame.

I am very close to picking up a Sugino XD crankset but I dont want to dump any more $$ into this frame as it is a little too big for me.

The balls questions?

ride towards the end of the saddle (better position anyway for flats and slight inclines, helps with spin). pull your junk up as high as it will go. this is what i learned from watching professional cyclists.

ride towards the end of the saddle (better position anyway for flats and slight inclines, helps with spin). pull your junk up as high as it will go. this is what i learned from staring at professional cyclist's crotches.

really?

who doesn't

but yeah, its not really an issue, it just kinda rests on the "horn" of the saddle. all the junk

BUT some pursuit/TT bikes with ridiculous drop from saddle to bars will actually have the saddle slightly to the side to allow for junk on the other side

really?

really. watch a flat stage where there is a long breakaway with only one or two riders (where there will be a bunch of profile and front views of one rider). notice that they are WAY forward in the saddle, usually almost all of the flat part of the saddle is exposed. also notice that when viewed from the front, if the team directors have had the wherewithall to coordinate the saddle color with the spandex, it looks like they have two penises.

seriously though, thry this riding position. it really works.