Bicyclettes

canice

Saddles are different for everyone; no ones sit-bones and pelvis are shaped the same!

Regal's are wide--most importantly to their shape--and flat. If you have wider sit bones, you're not hanging off the sides like a narrower saddle.

Finding the perfect saddle is hit and miss, and it is typical for one to try a few (many) before finding one that's just right.

So is this a hit or miss, buying multiple seats that I could potentially never use again?

Anyone recommend a 1-1/8" threadless stem with 26.0 clamp with a 80mm reach? I currently have this one and would want something similar?

2606278860_80e57d0942.jpg

wouldn't it be easier if the seat was a little bit higher? My seat is at almost the lowest possible height.

Well depends on the angele of ur seat-tube.

Wheelie is all about weight shifting to the back....btw think of it like a BMX....BMX is lower that's why u can do a wheelie easy.

Also look at ur gear ratio..please dont tell me u r runing 58 x 12 :P

I think you're talking about two things.

Firstly fixed gear forces you to spin. Good for 'suplesse' as the French say. And good for efficiency too. So yes spinning will mean less effort than trying to push huge gears. Secondly the flywheel effect of a fixed gear will also give a small amount of added forward momentum, making it feel a little easier pedalling once you get up to speed.

alright, so basically im right in thinking its a little less tiring/more effiecient yes?

alright, so basically im right in thinking its a little less tiring/more effiecient yes?

it will be a little less tiring/more efficient once you get used to riding and all. if you do any hill cycling at all..i would recommend not going fixed or ss. i'm a bikenoob but biking around where i live, where it's hilly a lot, fixed/ss sucks=(

It is difficult to explain in laymans terms without reverting to speaking in hippy-dippy metaphor, but a fixed gear is a direct drive drivetrain, because the gearing of the wheel is 'tied' to the gear at the pedal.

To make short work of the argument, it is used for track and hillclimbs for a reason, it is the fastest and most efficient.

The best way to try out saddles is to figure out what about the saddle it is you don't like, then go to your LBS and ask for help. They should have a bin of take-off saddles to get you to your goal. And don't just say "it hurts." Be specific, like too wide, too soft, etc.

it will be a little less tiring/more efficient once you get used to riding and all. if you do any hill cycling at all..i would recommend not going fixed or ss. i'm a bikenoob but biking around where i live, where it's hilly a lot, fixed/ss sucks=(

It's only tiring and hard when you're first riding because (I'm assuming) the only bikes you've probably ever ridden is freewheel and your legs will automatically try to coast once you get to a certain speed. However, after you keep riding fixed for awhile, your body gets used to the fact that you can't coast and will get used to riding at a constant pace. I don't really notice that I'm peddling all the time anymore.

It is difficult to explain in laymans terms without reverting to speaking in hippy-dippy metaphor, but a fixed gear is a direct drive drivetrain, because the gearing of the wheel is 'tied' to the gear at the pedal.

To make short work of the argument, it is used for track and hillclimbs for a reason, it is the fastest and most efficient.

The best way to try out saddles is to figure out what about the saddle it is you don't like, then go to your LBS and ask for help. They should have a bin of take-off saddles to get you to your goal. And don't just say "it hurts." Be specific, like too wide, too soft, etc.

yeah i get what you mean, i looked it up on wikipedia too, same shit..

"Although the rider cannot change to a lower gear, climbing hills on a fixed gear is claimed by some riders to be easier than with a multi-speed freewheel; some claim it is because it is easier to maintain momentum as the cranks are pushed through the dead centers by the chain."

as for the saddle, i think the problem is mine is too narrow. i took a few old folded up hand towels and taped them over the seat making it a few cm's wider im guessing, and its felt a bit better..

as for the saddle, i think the problem is mine is too narrow. i took a few old folded up hand towels and taped them over the seat making it a few cm's wider im guessing, and its felt a bit better..

ah... careful with that. if the towel-padding isn't just right you could be doing more harm than good. and you might not know it until after you get off the bike and everything is numb.

just try chatting with guys at the local bike shop. most will at least let you test ride a saddle around the parking lot.

Guest Goose25

The guys at Bicloune bike shop, Bastille (Paris) built me a really nice racer during the week using an Alain Michel frame and shimano/campagnolo/mavic fittings.

While there I spied one of the most amazing bikes I've ever laid eyes on:

silver-2.jpg

silver-1.jpg

And, though not a fixed its a great bike, my new build:

Nicksnewbike.jpg

titaniumbikesf5.jpg

My titanium track bike; still waiting on a spicer Ti Fork, but pretty good other than that. I'm running velocity deep V rear laced to phil wood high flange, I have a velocity aero laced to phil wood, but the recent 35% off ebay coupon gifted me a hed 3 for fun =P

Do you do anything other than bitch about fixed gears? Definitely seems like a case of transference to me.
Do you do anything other than bitch about fixed gears? Definitely seems like a case of transference to me.

Quoted for truth.