Bicyclettes

canice

i've heard bulletproofs are ok, but i'd probably go with the sugino messengers or RD's

bulletproofs arent all that great you get what you pay for, they are cheap and a common issue with them is that the square strips easily.

i will always say sugino 75s because they will last forever, the ring will last a long time and you can always resell them for a decent amount going into another build. plus if you get crappy cranks, you run the chance of screwing them up or getting something super flexy.

not a shitty chainline if you get the right hubs to go with it....

murdered out- whats the frame? looks like a road frame with track ends?

What kind of hubs?

Why go through the trouble of getting HUBS to match as opposed to just going w/ the ol 42mm chainline?

not a shitty chainline if you get the right hubs to go with it....

murdered out- whats the frame? looks like a road frame with track ends?

supposedly its a 70s atala frame. i sure hope the guy that sold it to me didnt just get a road bike and weld track dropouts on it...

Hey, sorry if this is a repeat guys, but I am trying to get a new bike to start riding to work/school, and in some local events. I have been riding my little brothers mountain bike from high school, and its killing me. I went to a local shop the other day and the put me on a specialized, langster. It felt good but being new to actually riding what should I be looking for? Looking to spend? Fixed gear or multi? Any different brands? Let me know.

not to be a dick, but just read the past 5-10 pages of the thread and you'll find the info. it's probably been discussed 4 times in those pages.

Shit, my bad. I read the first few and decided that I cant read all this. Thanks though.

So, my partslist on my new bike is basically finalized, anyone see anything glaringly wrong? It's a 7 day a week fixed/free commuter/grocery hauler/ fun rider.

cranks- sugino 75

bb- phil wood steel

hubs- paul high flange 36h.

spokes- dt double butted

rims- velocity fusion silver 36h.

headset- chris king 1" threadless silver

seatpost- silver "nitto" crystal style.

saddle- selle anatomica titanico ld watershed

bars- nitto noodle 44cm

fenders- gilles berthoud 40mm stainless

rack- tubus luna silver

stem- ritchey threadless (for now until i build yours in july)

brake levers - tektro

brakes - tektro long reach

pedals - mks somethingorother

does anybody know any good local bike shops in the southbay, san jose//milpitas area?

Shaw's in Santa Clara or Slough's in SJ is where I go for service/parts. Calmar in Santa Clara is another good shop to go to.

So, my partslist on my new bike is basically finalized, anyone see anything glaringly wrong? It's a 7 day a week fixed/free commuter/grocery hauler/ fun rider.

headset- chris king 1" threadless silver

i've heard that the shimano threadless headsets (sealed needle bearings i think) are just as good but 1/3 the price of the kings. judging from the rest of the list that bike's going to be insane, so i'm assuming the king's the way to go...just throwing it out there lol.

what frame?

I understood that it was his IT bike, the everthing bike, so by all means, do it. I am waiting to build up these wheels (DA, DT, DV) until I post it, but it's everything I wanted short the phil BB.

It is definitely gonna be a sweet everything bike. Any reason why youre going for Paul hubs over phil wood high flanges? Also, I would get a Paul crank (the royal flush) over the 75. More unique!

going for the paul hubs because i raced mountain bikes as a kid and always wanted but couldnt afford paul parts. i like the paul cranks, but it's another 6+ months for the version with a standard track spider. as much as i hate to admit it the bars will be wrapped in bar tape (leather of course), not hardcore shiny slippery style.

I have those.

Yeah, you could probably fit them over taped bars, but... I don't see the point. They aren't overly padded, but provide good grip. My recommendation if you want a bit more padding would be to just double up on it. I think I've seen them tripled up before too.

Though, if you really want more padding I'd say just find something else.

I have those.

Yeah, you could probably fit them over taped bars, but... I don't see the point. They aren't overly padded, but provide good grip. My recommendation if you want a bit more padding would be to just double up on it. I think I've seen them tripled up before too.

I was wanting to get the look of those wraps with the benefits of still some padding. I guess I might try to fit them over some tape. Do you know of any bar tape that would have the look of the heat shrink ones but have padding? What did you use to heat them on?

I have those.

I was wanting to get the look of those wraps with the benefits of still some padding. I guess I might try to fit them over some tape. Do you know of any bar tape that would have the look of the heat shrink ones but have padding? What did you use to heat them on?

I have these as well and mine are tripled up in spots, but depending on the bars this gets harder to do as these do not stretch much, and they can be a bit tricky if your bars bend sharply ( I have pusuit bars). I think it would be pretty difficult to put those over already wrapped bars (read: LOTS of elbow grease), but as so so said, prob doable.

As for heating them up, I got mine done at Carnival, but the guy didnt do the greatest job and they were moving all around on my bars so I used my stove to heat them up again and get them tighter. The conventional method, however, would be a heat gun. I personally really like mine, and I just wear padded gloves w/o problem.