Bicyclettes

canice

how did you guys obtain your first bike?

did you buy beaters than upgrade your shit later?

Went to the bike shop with $150 bucks in cash and an old road bike. They helped me convert it for my price range.

From there, parts started breaking. My long ass cranks clipped the ground and I went over the bars, look at my bike and my pedal looks like a pringle. Replaced it with some MKS GR-9's. A few weeks later I was riding and my crank arm just broke off. I got some Sugino messanger cranks and kept on riding. Then the top tube on my frame started to bend down because of a dent in it, so I bought an IRO Mark V. I was doing wheelies and came down too hard and broke my fork two months into getting my Mark V. Now I have a Bare Knuckle Fork.

I would say get something cheap, complete, because conversions are cool but once you start breaking shit on it and you get into track bikes you might want to start riding road bikes too. When you start breaking stuff on your complete you can replace them with the parts you want.

god damnit.

i just did a rough draft of what this new bike is going to cost me.

around 3 grand when its all said and done. custom lugged steel frame

NJS: dura ace cranks/hubs. nitto bars/stem/seatpost. mks pedals/clips. toshi straps. EAI.

non NJS: sealed ultegra bottom bracket, sealed headset of some kind. velocity aero rims, whatever double butted spokes.

and then i'll probably get a sealed bearing wheelset for the winter.

on the other hand, people spend 3-30k on cars all the time.

Dude that shit's gonna get stolen.

Went to the bike shop with $150 bucks in cash and an old road bike. They helped me convert it for my price range.

From there, parts started breaking. My long ass cranks clipped the ground and I went over the bars, look at my bike and my pedal looks like a pringle. Replaced it with some MKS GR-9's. A few weeks later I was riding and my crank arm just broke off. I got some Sugino messanger cranks and kept on riding. Then the top tube on my frame started to bend down because of a dent in it, so I bought an IRO Mark V. I was doing wheelies and came down too hard and broke my fork two months into getting my Mark V. Now I have a Bare Knuckle Fork.

I would say get something cheap, complete, because conversions are cool but once you start breaking shit on it and you get into track bikes you might want to start riding road bikes too. When you start breaking stuff on your complete you can replace them with the parts you want.

ya and me and chase popped our grinder cherry and burned hair off my right arm.

god damnit.

i just did a rough draft of what this new bike is going to cost me.

around 3 grand when its all said and done. custom lugged steel frame

NJS: dura ace cranks/hubs. nitto bars/stem/seatpost. mks pedals/clips. toshi straps. EAI.

non NJS: sealed ultegra bottom bracket, sealed headset of some kind. velocity aero rims, whatever double butted spokes.

and then i'll probably get a sealed bearing wheelset for the winter.

on the other hand, people spend 3-30k on cars all the time.

why would you spend the extra cash to buy the njs dura ace hubs and not get njs rims. it sounds like you have the money just go for it so you can have the all around njs steez.

Stunt. They have TWOOOOOO in the exact same sizes.

One is pretty much brand new, no scratches or whatever, 65,000yen. The other is typical used in good shape but not new, 60,000 yen.

*edit* fuck you guys for talking sense into me, I was planning on saving a lot of this months paycheck, but I think I might have to splurge*edit*

The first bike I got, was my sister's old one. Then my parents bought me a few as I was still young. My first nice bike I got, was a track bike I found in a dumpster before I knew anything about them. It was some small japanese track frame. Brand started with a K. Not Kalavinka though. It had a front and rear brake though. It got stolen like 8 months later. And I learned that I had a track bike after doing a little research on the interwebs. Then I bought another on craigslist.

ive just started building my first...its a conversion from a shitty 1980's SR frame from japan. im giong to put some decent parts on it all the way around for now, until i go to grad school, and ill invest in something a little higher end. ill have to post pics when i finish in the next few days.

Stunt. They have TWOOOOOO in the exact same sizes.

One is pretty much brand new, no scratches or whatever, 65,000yen. The other is typical used in good shape but not new, 60,000 yen.

*edit* fuck you guys for talking sense into me, I was planning on saving a lot of this months paycheck, but I think I might have to splurge*edit*

I hate you.

If I werent leaving in Feb and you coming back in Feb, Id try and make something happen...

I dont wanna ask cuz I kno I'll be going GAGA, but wat colors?

Anywhos...

48x18 today, and Im fuckin slow as hell compared to 46x16...

But skidding is like farting so eh. Its supposed to rain soon, better safe than fayst...

Hey guys, some questions...

I've got a 44t ring and I'd like to upgrade it to something around a 48, but I'm wondering...will I need a new crank or can I just find one that fits? Also, are there any rules with matching hub teeth with the crank ring teeth or does any combination work the same? Keep in mind that I don't skid, so I don't care about skid patches.

How the hell do you get a chain off of your bike?

I've heard talk of narrower back wheel/wider front wheel to increase overall performance. Is this crazy talk for a fixie or is there some merit to it? I was thinking 700cc Deep V's on back and 700cc something else (around the 21mm width mark) Velocity on front.

Are the pros and cons of more spokes on a rim simply a weight and toughness issue or is there more to it?

Sorry for all the noob questions, but I'm trying my damndest to become semi-unretarded.

You pretty much just need to make sure you get the correct BCD for your chainring.

Took me a while to find a store with the 48T with 130BCD, for a decent price.

And to take your chain off your bike. If you look around the links, youll see an odd one. It pops off and you can take off the chain. I need to take my chain off and degrease it.

Anyone kno of a good degreaser that I can let my chain soak in over night?

Its full of dirty/pebbles, so I dont get a smooth silent ride...

You pretty much just need to make sure you get the correct BCD for your chainring.

Took me a while to find a store with the 48T with 130BCD, for a decent price.

And to take your chain off your bike. If you look around the links, youll see an odd one. It pops off and you can take off the chain. I need to take my chain off and degrease it.

Anyone kno of a good degreaser that I can let my chain soak in over night?

Its full of dirty/pebbles, so I dont get a smooth silent ride...

Thanks for the info. On the degreaser end, I've used this for my rollerblades for well over 10 years and the shit works great. Couple it with a good compressed air keyboard thing and you're set.

Citrus_Bearing_Cleaner.jpg

I like the bag because of the design. I went grocery shopping yesterday, filled my bag up with shit, and my bag carried the load just fine. I don't see any construction issues with it so far. If I do, I will post about it.

hey do any new york peeps know a good trustworthy shop to take a vintage 70s road bike to get completely restored? i don't have the time/patients/knowledge to do it myself right now. thanks!

they will all rape you. DIY as much as you can and then have the shop make final tweaks/do harder shit.

once you diy all that shit, i'll recommend bike habitat as well. make sure the dude with blonde hair and a bunch of acne scars doesn't touch your bike. he is a dumbass. nyc velo on 2nd is also very good. tom has soft hands.

I have one, i got it because it is cheap and I don't currently have a need for anything bombproof.

None the less, i have to back what Sycamore is saying. Would be, in my mind, far from worth the money of having to import one.

It think it's mostly a looks thing, because, honestly, i do love how it looks, and currently that's good enough for me.

Those SAGlife bags are such garbage. A friend who got one of those backpacks from them, bag ripped open through the bottom because he apparently put too much stuff in it. The only reason everyone is going ape shit over them is because they are from Japan. Are they NJS stamped too?

dont you run everything njs?