Bicyclettes

canice

very happy right now. heres the roady i picked up today. frame will be shaved clean with new powder coat job or anodized, i cant decide yet. then other little things like a new fixed rear hub, new handlebar and stem, taking off the brakes, and some nice rat traps. mybike2.jpgmybike.jpg

why the hell was that not kept geared

if you don't want a road bike, and only want a track bike, i'd sell the frame and pick up a track frame, and just swap parts over.

Or just gear it up and use it as a road bike.

Sorry to kick it back on the bag topic, but how long of a wait does freight have for bags?

Anyone who can help me with some chain-line related questions.... my chainring clearance to my frame is negative (IE I've rubbed off paint, I hear the whir-r-r-rr on every stroke).

I'm running a set of Shimano Messenger 165's with the ring on the inside, I know that is what has subtracted my clearance but I don't know another way of moving the chain line in those 5mm. Other than replacing my botton bracket or maybe mounting my bracket backwards (is that dangerous? the threading is the same on both sides). I don't think I need the extra spacing that my bracket has on the left side... I also don't remember how I got my cranks on because I'm having a bitch of a time remembering how to pull it apart to try it flipped around...

That is the only contact point though, the edge of the ring to the frame, and it's not locking up, but it's really noticable and probably atleast somewhat dangerous...

I basically need to figure out how to have my ring on the same line it is now, but be on the other side of my cranks.

I can get pictures taken if anybody needs them to understand me, I'd just have to go get someones camera... probably not at 2am. I can also call you (in North America) and explain it while we are both in front of bikes.

The contact is only about 7 teeth on one side of the ring, the other teeth all clear it.

take a hammer to your frame. I have done it on a handful of mine, including my hamilton.

That sounds scary as fuck. Any suggestions... wrench/allan key related?

is your chainline messed up, front ring to back, or is it a road frame perhaps, where your track cranks and track bb aren't happy? if it's the latter, dent that shit and don't worry about it. If its the former, try a few BB's out, and spacing your rear hub, and you will probably have to dent your shit still.

it's really no big deal, when they make custom frames, they dent it in the same way, they just paint over it.

is your chainline messed up, front ring to back, or is it a road frame perhaps, where your track cranks and track bb aren't happy? if it's the latter, dent that shit and don't worry about it. If its the former, try a few BB's out, and spacing your rear hub, and you will probably have to dent your shit still.

it's really no big deal, when they make custom frames, they dent it in the same way, they just paint over it.

Well It's a Steam Roller. and if it's kosher to flip my BB around (it has spacing on the left side and I need no space. That is what I'd try first.. The spacing on the BB's left is exactly the change I get from mounting my ring on teh other side of my crank...

The spacing, from what I was told when I asked -specifically when buying my crank and BB along with my rear wheel, should line up easy peasy.

Unless I put my bracket in wrong to begin with... It was double far out to the left though before, all that's changed now is that.

There's already a "dent" in the frame to make room, I figure that Surly gave me enough room to line this up.

I am not familiar with the term strong side, my BB has the side with the spindle attached to it (the part that sticks out from the BB shell) on the crank side, and the side that just screwed in on the other side... to my recollection....

How is it supposed to be assembled?

It sort of lines up like this

Left crank w/chainring | metal from the BB| shell | Crank

There is no sepparater on the right side, the crank just sits right on the square pegs.

I am pretty sure I remember that BB was in 3 parts. I'm curious if the whole thing couldn't be flipped...

BB's either have specific drive or non/drive cups or sides. make sure you use the correct one. with sealed ones there is that extra leverage if you're using the non drive side on the drive side that isn't good for it.

sidney/wildstyle ... looks like we'll have to walk today with al lthis fucking snow!

I am not familiar with the term strong side, my BB has the side with the spindle attached to it (the part that sticks out from the BB shell) on the crank side, and the side that just screwed in on the other side... to my recollection....

How is it supposed to be assembled?

It sort of lines up like this

Left crank w/chainring | metal from the BB| shell | Crank

There is no sepparater on the right side, the crank just sits right on the square pegs.

I am pretty sure I remember that BB was in 3 parts. I'm curious if the whole thing couldn't be flipped...

wow what? did you mistype or are you running a left-hand drive train. cause if thats the case we got a whole new set of problems

In 10 years people are going to be so pissed at fixed gear riders for ruining so many nice vintage road frames.

as long as people keep the hacksaws away from their frames, its a matter of a simple twist of a freewheel tool to change a frame back to geared.

also if u want to try out fixed gear, throwing track wheel on a road frame is great. I've rode a few track frames but i'm back on my original road frame with an iro wheelset bc its the most comfortable and i have the most fun riding it and in the end its all about whats' fun.

as long as people keep the hacksaws away from their frames, its a matter of a simple twist of a freewheel tool to change a frame back to geared.

also if u want to try out fixed gear, throwing track wheel on a road frame is great. I've rode a few track frames but i'm back on my original road frame with an iro wheelset bc its the most comfortable and i have the most fun riding it and in the end its all about whats' fun.

Yeah, but the dude was talking about just that, as well as stripping and powder coating (also for some reason anodizing, good luck on a steel frame) that frame. I have no issue with people riding conversions. I should say, on an unrelated note, that the amount of money some people sink into heavy ass bike boom bikes can be ridiculous sometimes.

Anyone who can help me with some chain-line related questions.... my chainring clearance to my frame is negative (IE I've rubbed off paint, I hear the whir-r-r-rr on every stroke).

I'm running a set of Shimano Messenger 165's with the ring on the inside, I know that is what has subtracted my clearance but I don't know another way of moving the chain line in those 5mm. Other than replacing my botton bracket or maybe mounting my bracket backwards (is that dangerous? the threading is the same on both sides). I don't think I need the extra spacing that my bracket has on the left side... I also don't remember how I got my cranks on because I'm having a bitch of a time remembering how to pull it apart to try it flipped around...

That is the only contact point though, the edge of the ring to the frame, and it's not locking up, but it's really noticable and probably atleast somewhat dangerous...

I basically need to figure out how to have my ring on the same line it is now, but be on the other side of my cranks.

I can get pictures taken if anybody needs them to understand me, I'd just have to go get someones camera... probably not at 2am. I can also call you (in North America) and explain it while we are both in front of bikes.

The contact is only about 7 teeth on one side of the ring, the other teeth all clear it.

For some reason this confuses me...

Try bolting the chainring on the OUTSIDE of the cranks. If you get what I mean.

If I completely misunderstood the problem, my bad, and ignore this...

For some reason this confuses me...

Try bolting the chainring on the OUTSIDE of the cranks. If you get what I mean.

If I completely misunderstood the problem, my bad, and ignore this...

SHOW US PICTURES I think that will help explain many things.

wow what? did you mistype or are you running a left-hand drive train. cause if thats the case we got a whole new set of problems
i'm still trying to figure out why someone who doesn't know bottom brackets work would be running a left hand drive system

Haha yah I have no bike stand, It was 2am and I just looked back to check what side my drive was on and left made sense (the bike was upside down cause I was working on it). It's conventionally set up.

You alright? Damn you got cabin feverz!!!! Yeah we ate dumont and rode around it was balls cold. Wing night tomorrow? Wildstyle is rolling through fasho.

I can't find a good place to put my sticker it looks 2x hommo.