Bicyclettes

canice

trackstanding's deff. a matter of just finding your sweet spot, then doing it while watching tv to get it down. i'm pretty sure you got all the advice, sometimes it helps to be next to a wall so you can lean on it and not have to put your foot down all the time.

trackstanding on a bmx bike with no brakes and funky colors makes messengers upset, I found that out today. gave us so much shit for just fooling around and actually being able to do it (we ride both, and love em all) then one of em fell. I chuckled...

on a serious note, nashbar has B17's for $69.99 in black and honey

I learnt trackstands on a hill pointing the front up the hill to make the roll back easier so you get use to just applying the forward pressure before you add the reverse. There's also a nifty version where you turn the front wheel 90 degrees, pop your feet on it and rock it between them. You don't need your hands either.

Have you ever riden with flat bars? They do not feel the same as if you were to ride riser bars, especially gold Pro-Taper's like mine. Flat bars are just... flat out straight. Riser bars are a little angled towards you, totally different. Plus the shit looks better. Dicknose.

I'm tired of all you fucking assholes critiquing other peoples bikes, if you don't like it just shut the fuck up.

1. I wasn't the one critiquing anyone. I was defending the guy you aimed your unnneeded comment at.

2. since when aren't flat bars allowed to be bent towards you?

3. I guess you beat the guy with the aesthetic view though.

4. This goes to everyone, if you put it on the internet, it'll get critiqued. Everything. (including your old knuckle).

5. I find many of your comments unnecessary.

Alright, I'll just stick with it and keep practicing. Thanks again for the info.

It always helped me to think of the pedals as a balance board..

Duh.

You're all thick.

I was having a go at him because the noob can't set his saddle flat. Don't get me started on the lack of pedals.

Wow. First off, there are pedals mounted on the bike. They are called Speedplay Zero's. They look like this:

speep_zero_chromo_07.jpg

You obviously can't see them in the picture because they are the same width as the crank. I guess you're used to caged pedals on your fixie?

Second, I have a Serotta Bike Fit Certification. Don't know what this means? Basically, I know all the math behind what a good fit is. People pay $200 to have people who know what I know fit their bike. My bike fits me perfectly. A flat seat makes my junk go numb. Maybe that's okay for you, but I like sex. It's probably .5 degrees pointing UPWARD.

Pick someone else to call a poseur. You have no idea who I am.

Wow. First off, there are pedals mounted on the bike. They are called Speedplay Zero's. They look like this:

http://krebcycle.com/images/library/large/speep_zero_chromo_07.jpg

You obviously can't see them in the picture because they are the same width as the crank. I guess you're used to caged pedals on your fixie?

Second, I have a Serotta Bike Fit Certification. Don't know what this means? Basically, I know all the math behind what a good fit is. People pay $200 to have people who know what I know fit their bike. My bike fits me perfectly. A flat seat makes my junk go numb. Maybe that's okay for you, but I like sex. It's probably .5 degrees pointing UPWARD.

Pick someone else to call a poseur. You have no idea who I am.

Well played. BIKE REP.

NEED ADVICE

I am thinking of doing the accents on my Steamroller (grey) in white (like un black). I got a line on a cheap white seat but I wear unwashed denim...

So, question

blue impression of my junk on seat...

sweet or hella sweet?

Also, how could I put indigo on my bartape, just sit on my handlebars or mebbe ride other raw denim types around (diamonds is pretty small)

NEED ADVICE

I am thinking of doing the accents on my Steamroller (grey) in white (like un black). I got a line on a cheap white seat but I wear unwashed denim...

So, question

blue impression of my junk on seat...

sweet or hella sweet?

Also, how could I put indigo on my bartape, just sit on my handlebars or mebbe ride other raw denim types around (diamonds is pretty small)

When you are learning to skid just lean your body against your bars and the indigo will rub off onto your tape

When you are learning to skid just lean your body against your bars and the indigo will rub off onto your tape

This answered half of my question, now, on blue bike seats -Yay or nay?

Not enough roadie love in this thread.

bike1.jpg

Season is ending :(

I love the look of this, that spoking on the front tire is fucking scary though, those some kinda magic spokes or do you just redo them all the time?

The spoking on the back too looks unorthodox, but then again I've never seen white spokes. I'm not going to play the "know mo bout bikes than you" card, I obviously don't, but I remember when i wanted to get my Front tire radially spoked everyone was like "do it yourself or it aint gonna be done". Those rims are probably impractially prices/machined for my sort of riding though, that might lend to not needing cross-over spoking for wheel strength.

Hit me up in the PMs er whatever, I'd also be interested in seeing a picture of a track bike or a fixed gear conversion you'd adjusted-to-measurements for someone, the whole bike-fitting concept is really interesting to me, and I've long suspected people who tell me "oh it's a 52 square, and you're 5'10"-same height as me should be perfect.

i hope this thread inspired a lot of people to get on two wheels.

all i gotta say is that who cares if you think someone is a poser or doesn't get it, everyone starts somewhere and more people on bikes is a great thing. quit calling out people for shit because you probably don't know what you're talking about. offer advice. biking creates an amazing community above and beyond hipster steez points. you may not see that on such a large scale being in spread out cities, but with the trends picking up in new york, its a great thing for influencing urban planning, overall health and safety advocacy.

I love the look of this, that spoking on the front tire is fucking scary though, those some kinda magic spokes or do you just redo them all the time?

The spoking on the back too looks unorthodox, but then again I've never seen white spokes. I'm not going to play the "know mo bout bikes than you" card, I obviously don't, but I remember when i wanted to get my Front tire radially spoked everyone was like "do it yourself or it aint gonna be done". Those rims are probably impractially prices/machined for my sort of riding though, that might lend to not needing cross-over spoking for wheel strength.

Hit me up in the PMs er whatever, I'd also be interested in seeing a picture of a track bike or a fixed gear conversion you'd adjusted-to-measurements for someone, the whole bike-fitting concept is really interesting to me, and I've long suspected people who tell me "oh it's a 52 square, and you're 5'10"-same height as me should be perfect.

Yeah, the wheels are definitely purpose built. I think the spoke count is 16 front, 20 rear. I definitely wouldn't recommend them for anyone over 180 lbs, but they've stayed true for me (150lbs). The rims are carbon fiber. The spokes are called "PBO spokes" which Spinergy has gotten a lot of good press for. They're made from a proprietary fiber compound I can't remember the name of. Anyway, it's stronger than steel or aluminum, and lighter. I just "upgraded" from a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Elites and they are much more laterally stiff. They suck at climbing. Where they really come alive is in sprinting. I can hold 38+ mph with a lot less effort.

As for bike fitting, I don't actually fit bikes for people. I just took the class instead of going to get my bike fit, as I figured it'd be a better investment. Never listen to ANYONE who says "how tall are you?" when referring to your ideal frame size. A simple inseam measurement will get you to 75%, the extra 25% can be made up in the stem length. Your torso length is important too. Crank arm length isn't as important as everyone makes it out to be, but that's debatable.

I've seen way too many people get bad fittings at bike shops, to the point where I'm wincing when I see what their legs are doing. Saddle position and stem length are very important and I think most bike shops don't even look at them. They lift the seat to "high enough" and let them loose.

I can PM you further if people think this stuff is boring :)

As for bike fitting, I don't actually fit bikes for people. I just took the class instead of going to get my bike fit, as I figured it'd be a better investment. Never listen to ANYONE who says "how tall are you?" when referring to your ideal frame size. A simple inseam measurement will get you to 75%, the extra 25% can be made up in the stem length. Your torso length is important too. Crank arm length isn't as important as everyone makes it out to be, but that's debatable.

I've seen way too many people get bad fittings at bike shops, to the point where I'm wincing when I see what their legs are doing. Saddle position and stem length are very important and I think most bike shops don't even look at them. They lift the seat to "high enough" and let them loose.

This is so true. Most bike shops do a terrible job at fitting people for bikes. They told me I needed to be on a 56cm and I was just baffled.. I'm only 5'8'' I can't even get my leg over a 56...

I can PM you further if people think this stuff is boring :)

Uhhh, NO!

I'm actually quite intrigued by this, as I know little to nothing about how to find the ideal bike for ME. I got my bike by going to a shop, the guy looked at me and said, "This one should be good for you" so I rode it around the block a few times, and it seemed ok. So,I told him I'd think about it, and I bought the same bike off Ebay for cheaper than the store had it for. Anyway, I dont want the next bike I buy to be such an uninformed purchase. Thanks.

This is so true. Most bike shops do a terrible job at fitting people for bikes. They told me I needed to be on a 56cm and I was just baffled.. I'm only 5'8'' I can't even get my leg over a 56...

do you have really short legs bc i'm 5'9" and i'm on a 57 fits me perfectly. standing over it my balls are on the top tube but thats not a big deal it matters more if it fits you properly riding not standing

do you have really short legs bc i'm 5'9" and i'm on a 57 fits me perfectly. standing over it my balls are on the top tube but thats not a big deal it matters more if it fits you properly riding not standing

Uh, I would hate to have the TT be right under my balls. I need clearance. I like being able to stand with the frame comfortable between my legs.

Besides, I'd much rather have a frame that is a bit smaller than need be than one that is bigger..

I'm only 5'8'' I can't even get my leg over a 56...
do you have really short legs bc i'm 5'9" and i'm on a 57 fits me perfectly.

Come on guys, at least PRETEND you read my post :). Your overall height has NOTHING to do with your ideal frame size! I'm 5'9". My ideal frame size is a 53cm. I have a friend who's also 5'9" who needs a 56cm. Why? Because his legs are longer.

Now, since it seems a lot of you don't know what your ideal frame size SHOULD be, I can fill you in on a quick way to figure this out. DON'T TRUST THE BIKE SHOP!

1) Stand with your back against a wall, your bare feet 6" apart on a hard floor, looking straight ahead

2) Place a book between your legs with one edge against the wall, and pull it up firmly into your crotch, simulating the pressure of your saddle while riding.

3) Have a "helper" measure from the top edge of the book to the floor, in centimeters.

4) Rinse and repeat a couple times. Then take the average of those measurements. This number is your actual inseam measurement (useful for pant alterations too ;))

5) TO GET YOUR IDEAL FRAME SIZE: multiply the result from #4 (inseam) by .67. Round down or up, depending.

My inseam measurement: 78.8cm

My ideal framesize: 52.796cm.

...since they don't make those, I rounded up to a 53 :)

...and to think, I started riding bikes on a 60cm, thinking it felt okay. I was way off. Don't judge a frame by the feel!