Bicyclettes

canice

Come on guys, at least PRETEND you read my post :). Your overall height has NOTHING to do with your ideal frame size! I'm 5'9". My ideal frame size is a 53cm. I have a friend who's also 5'9" who needs a 56cm. Why? Because his legs are longer.

Now, since it seems a lot of you don't know what your ideal frame size SHOULD be, I can fill you in on a quick way to figure this out. DON'T TRUST THE BIKE SHOP!

1) Stand with your back against a wall, your bare feet 6" apart on a hard floor, looking straight ahead

2) Place a book between your legs with one edge against the wall, and pull it up firmly into your crotch, simulating the pressure of your saddle while riding.

3) Have a "helper" measure from the top edge of the book to the floor, in centimeters.

4) Rinse and repeat a couple times. Then take the average of those measurements. This number is your actual inseam measurement (useful for pant alterations too ;))

5) TO GET YOUR IDEAL FRAME SIZE: multiply the result from #4 (inseam) by .67. Round down or up, depending.

My inseam measurement: 78.8cm

My ideal framesize: 52.796cm.

...since they don't make those, I rounded up to a 53 :)

...and to think, I started riding bikes on a 60cm, thinking it felt okay. I was way off. Don't judge a frame by the feel!

that was kinda my point i guess i didn't articulate very well

but still guys around 5'9" on a 52 its like a gorilla on a tricycle. But small bikes seem to be a trend. also another thing to consider is general modern frame geometry vs. older (steel lugged) geometry is quite different and affects size alot.

only thing i could think of is possible tube issues?

maybe funky guage..

are you using a hand pump and separate guage?

i think try a floor pump+guage to see whats up. (if that's not already what you're using)

already using a floor pump w/ gauge. maybe its the pump...

but still guys around 5'9" on a 52 its like a gorilla on a tricycle. But small bikes seem to be a trend. also another thing to consider is general modern frame geometry vs. older (steel lugged) geometry is quite different and affects size alot.

I'm 5'10ish on a 53cm. Go figure.

still makes no sense. if you have short legs then why is a 5'9" guy on a 52 out of the ordinary?

5'9" on a 52 is seriously abit too small....or u can have a 52cm seatube and 54 toptube.

Listen to what you're saying...

You should be saying "yeah.. for someone with an 80cm inseam, a 52 is too small." But no, you're going back to the overall height again. 52 is perfectly normal for someone who's 5'6". It's perfectly normal for someone who's 5'9" too!

I didn't think it was this hard to detach people from the height thing. It's like this with snowboarders too. They think their board length relates to their height in some way and it really doesn't.

I give up :)

Listen to what you're saying...

You should be saying "yeah.. for someone with an 80cm inseam, a 52 is too small." But no, you're going back to the overall height again. 52 is perfectly normal for someone who's 5'6". It's perfectly normal for someone who's 5'9" too!

I didn't think it was this hard to detach people from the height thing. It's like this with snowboarders too. They think their board length relates to their height in some way and it really doesn't.

I give up :)

dont give upp...hehhe..its a forum.

what size do u ride??

I feel your pain dude. I go through this when selling snowboards every day. People don't like to listen.

still makes no sense. if you have short legs then why is a 5'9" guy on a 52 out of the ordinary?

thats like a 53cm top tube. your back would be unbelievably arched bad posture and the like, unless you have a short torso and have long legs with your seat jacked up really high, which i see people do all the time but it looks terribly uncomfortable. but this topic is beat to death.

final consensus go get measured and buy what you feel comfortable riding.