Bicyclettes

canice

Come on guys, at least PRETEND you read my post :). Your overall height has NOTHING to do with your ideal frame size! I'm 5'9". My ideal frame size is a 53cm. I have a friend who's also 5'9" who needs a 56cm. Why? Because his legs are longer.

Now, since it seems a lot of you don't know what your ideal frame size SHOULD be, I can fill you in on a quick way to figure this out. DON'T TRUST THE BIKE SHOP!

1) Stand with your back against a wall, your bare feet 6" apart on a hard floor, looking straight ahead

2) Place a book between your legs with one edge against the wall, and pull it up firmly into your crotch, simulating the pressure of your saddle while riding.

3) Have a "helper" measure from the top edge of the book to the floor, in centimeters.

4) Rinse and repeat a couple times. Then take the average of those measurements. This number is your actual inseam measurement (useful for pant alterations too ;))

5) TO GET YOUR IDEAL FRAME SIZE: multiply the result from #4 (inseam) by .67. Round down or up, depending.

My inseam measurement: 78.8cm

My ideal framesize: 52.796cm.

...since they don't make those, I rounded up to a 53 :)

...and to think, I started riding bikes on a 60cm, thinking it felt okay. I was way off. Don't judge a frame by the feel!

Ok, this is really interesting to me (in an "I'm vindicated" good type way) and I'll explain why.

I'm a bike noob. I'm not playing games here. I didn't ride for about 10 years, since I was into aggressive/racing rollerblading. I picked up a bike in May (Lemond Fillmore) because I wanted to get a single speed for putzing around town. So, I throw myself to the mercy of the bike shop guys and they look at my height (6'0) and tell me I need a 57-59 cm bike. I have no clue what they're talking about, so I test run a few sizes. Then I see my Fillmore, but it's a 53. They tell me that I won't fit on it. I tell them that it's pretty and I want that motherfucker to fit, so I take it for a test run. It felt good, but I sort of felt compacted up around my arms; like I was missing a good reach on the bike. They tell me "Duh, it's because this bike is too small for you."

Dejected, I start looking at other bikes and nothing is doing it for me. Then I notice that the bike next to my Fillmore has a longer stem (I had no idea what the stem was at this time...superb00n). I asked if it's possible to throw a longer stem on there so that my reach is longer, which was the only problem I was having. They hem and haw and tell me, in nice terms, that I'm an idiot, but they do it anyway. I take the Fillmore out with the longer stem and I was sold. 5 seconds into the ride and it felt better than that other shit that they told me rides better.

So, bike is bought and I'm thinking that maybe I'm an idiot. They mentioned that I start feeling cramped after I rode it for a couple months and this is sketching me out. Anyway, that never happened because this bike fits me like a glove. Now I just tried your method and it turns out that my ideal bike size is (drumroll)...just a shade under 54. Not 57, not 59, but 54.

I was right (sort of)! I don't know if they make 54's, but I didn't see any, so I'm assuming that the next best fit for me is my 53.

FUCK YOU GUYS AT BUDGET BICYCLE ON REGENT STREET.

No, they're actually nice. They threw in my stem for free, with some different pedals, but I guess you just shouldn't ask them for advice.

Thanks cmyke.

Come on guys, at least PRETEND you read my post :). Your overall height has NOTHING to do with your ideal frame size! I'm 5'9". My ideal frame size is a 53cm. I have a friend who's also 5'9" who needs a 56cm. Why? Because his legs are longer.

Now, since it seems a lot of you don't know what your ideal frame size SHOULD be, I can fill you in on a quick way to figure this out. DON'T TRUST THE BIKE SHOP!

1) Stand with your back against a wall, your bare feet 6" apart on a hard floor, looking straight ahead

2) Place a book between your legs with one edge against the wall, and pull it up firmly into your crotch, simulating the pressure of your saddle while riding.

3) Have a "helper" measure from the top edge of the book to the floor, in centimeters.

4) Rinse and repeat a couple times. Then take the average of those measurements. This number is your actual inseam measurement (useful for pant alterations too ;))

5) TO GET YOUR IDEAL FRAME SIZE: multiply the result from #4 (inseam) by .67. Round down or up, depending.

My inseam measurement: 78.8cm

My ideal framesize: 52.796cm.

...since they don't make those, I rounded up to a 53 :)

...and to think, I started riding bikes on a 60cm, thinking it felt okay. I was way off. Don't judge a frame by the feel!

No, I totally know that height has nothing to do with it... (back to my 5'8'' point..) I'm 5'8'' with a 30" inseam ( :( ). I just don't fit on a 56cm even tho they were pushing the hell out of it... I'm perfect around a 51cm, they didn't have that so I went with a 50cm which fits perfect for me.

ive done a few tests, both instore at my lbs and at home, but not this one, a variation of it though, can you explain this, my figures keep coming out wrong, interested to find out what the result is.

58cm fits me perfectly

I can comfortably stand over without putting my balls in harms way

(I also did that measuring trick, works pretty well! Thanks cmyke!!)

ive done a few tests, both instore at my lbs and at home, but not this one, a variation of it though, can you explain this, my figures keep coming out wrong, interested to find out what the result is.

have you converted your inseam to cm? (seems stupid, but the first time I tried this I left my inseam in inches...)

Thanks cmyke.

Wow, cool story!

Some manufacturers have odd-numbered frame sizes, some have even. So my Look is made in 51, 53, 55, etc. I think most Treks come in 52, 54, 56, etc. Since your bike came in a 53, you made the perfect decision if your ideal size was 54. If you have a smaller frame, you can always plop in a longer stem, raise the seat, etc. It's much more difficult to make a bigger frame fit you.

...but things aren't that simple anymore, unfortunately. The past couple years have marked the advent of the "compact" frame. Basically, manufacturers make 1 or 2 frame sizes, rather than 4 or 5. If you've seen any new bike frames with a sloping top-tube, it's most likely a compact frame. The measurements for these are a lot different. I think for '08, Trek doesn't even use cm measurements anymore. They use terms like "frame reach" and "frame stack". I'll worry about that crap when I buy my next bike :)

Well, I'll try to explain it further...

My overall inseam measurement is 78.8cm. (~31 inches)

I take 78.8 and multiply it by 0.67 (did you miss the decimal maybe? :))

Result: 52.796.

A.) Downward saddle is a saddle fit issue. Serotta might have mentioned this! Try a wider one.

A too-tall bike will always be a better fit than a too small bike.

As I said, the saddle is pointing slightly UPWARD. It's the angle in the picture. Also, everyone's sit-bones are different.

Stop making generalizations. The whole point of bike fitting is that there aren't really any rules, only suggestions.

If you want, I can verify your excellent expert advice via PM before you unload it in this thread just to make sure we aren't steering people the wrong way... :o

My seat is pissing me off. I straightened it out a day ago, and it slowly somehow gets loose and is now downward. Theres locktite and shit already on.

lockwasher/nut?

maybe it's stripped/wore out...

repeater, your comments are useless. neg rep.

And stunt, do you have the type of seat post that you use an allen key to tighten in the seat or a wrench? And yu're positive the rails sit well in their position? I've tightened in my seat but put the rails were slanted, so after a bit of riding it falls into the right position, and it's loose.

The "fit calculator" at Comp Cyclist sort of works.

If you're off by a few mm in more than one measurement it will be totally fucked up. Definitely have someone measure for you.

the fit calculator suggests having a partner for accurate measurements.

quit trolling this thread.

got my kilo tt today.

put it all together in a snap.

i'm super stoked to get riding it...but my tires seemed f'ed up.

i've never had a road/track/fixie before with thin tires, but these tires seem like they have no pressure to 'em. i've got a pump and i've pumped them up multiple times, to the desired pressure of 110 psi -- w/ the help of a gauge, yet they still seem flat. i roll over a driveway lip thats about 4-5 cm high and i feel the rim smash the cement. wtfx? they aren't supposed to be like that...are they?

said wheels/tires:

Spokes Stainless

Rims 36H Aluminum Aero Section Track DoubleWall

Tires Kenda K191 700x23c high pressure road

got my kilo tt today.

put it all together in a snap.

i'm super stoked to get riding it...but my tires seemed f'ed up.

i've never had a road/track/fixie before with thin tires, but these tires seem like they have no pressure to 'em. i've got a pump and i've pumped them up multiple times, to the desired pressure of 110 psi -- w/ the help of a gauge, yet they still seem flat. i roll over a driveway lip thats about 4-5 cm high and i feel the rim smash the cement. wtfx? they aren't supposed to be like that...are they?

said wheels/tires:

Spokes Stainless

Rims 36H Aluminum Aero Section Track DoubleWall

Tires Kenda K191 700x23c high pressure road

only thing i could think of is possible tube issues?

maybe funky guage..

are you using a hand pump and separate guage?

i think try a floor pump+guage to see whats up. (if that's not already what you're using)

only thing i could think of is possible tube issues?

maybe funky guage..

are you using a hand pump and separate guage?

i think try a floor pump+guage to see whats up. (if that's not already what you're using)

:confused: haha i wonder who caught that...

I decided today it was time for a new bike, because i've been riding the same conversion for a couple years now. I'm on a budget, so I ordered:

kilo tt complete (i know i know...but i just want the frame, the parts will get sold with my conversion)

new risers

new front brake, cable, lever, and grips

brooks b17

new tires

i'm putting my wheelset on it, my pedal setup, and i think im gonna ebay a lighter seatpost. i'm so excited to go from my rickety old bike to having everything brand new, it's gonna ride so nice