Bicyclettes

canice

Hm

anything from the Women's P/1/2/3 or Men's 2 race?

not on this roll. still waiting to be developed. were you there?

ayo. I know this is a bit rudimentary for most in this thread, but I'm buying a bike to commute to work. Only riding 3 miles each way, and trying to keep the price below $700. I'm looking at:

Cannondale Quick 4

Trek 7.3fx

Bianchi Camaleonte Uno

I'm wide open to other options as well, but not interested in fixed gear / single speed. I've heard all 3 ride really similar, and the Bianchi style definitely appeals to me, but I'd like to get something reliable.

Suggestions?

The Bianchi is pretty gorgeous, but I'm partial to anything Italian made in the cycling world.

I think a road bike is a good idea, but I wouldn't rule out an option of a single speed with a decent ratio set up. you could find a vintage lugged road frame with comfortable geometry (probably with a fork pairing) and fix it up for under $400. if you're really only going to be riding minimally, it's kind of silly to spend more. and if you are going to be riding more than you're saying, then you'll end up spending over $700 in the end-so you might as well start now. oh, and bring an extra shirt with you or keep one at work. you're going to be sweating more than you'd like, either way.

The Bianchi is pretty gorgeous, but I'm partial to anything Italian made in the cycling world.

Don't want to stir shit up but there is no way in hell that the Bianchi is actually made in Italy. Taiwan or China is more likely. That is not actually a bad thing really as 90% of the worlds bikes are made there but don't be fooled by the name into thinking it's Italian.

Don't want to stir shit up but there is no way in hell that the Bianchi is actually made in Italy. Taiwan or China is more likely.

true. it's kind of shitty though, because they charge so much more for something not particularly as nice. Cinelli is the first frame builder that I noticed that from

Before I pull the trigger on no name handlebars, are there any takeoff track drops that aren't cinelli or nitto b125 that are shallow (less than 170mm) but aren't like major taylors or charge bullshit?

I was about to ask the same question. also, what is the opinion on wrapping no name bars all the way to the stem? cheesy looking or sexy?

Glad you guys are finally seeing the light.

The price of Italian bicycle companies in the US isn't a premium, it's because of the number of hands it has to change before it hits the consumer and that Italian suppliers always are slooow. Not all of this is the company, gov't and shippers have a large role as well.

I was about to ask the same question. also, what is the opinion on wrapping no name bars all the way to the stem? cheesy looking or sexy?

I have nitto bars but I wrapped them all the way to reduce the amount of vibration i feel in my hands. When Im riding in the city I usually keep my hands on top of the bars.

the bars above are Nitto b123s and they're very sexy, but I dunno. I think I maybe prefer the wrap to the stem. even with a quill stem

I'd suggest B125's as an alternative. I had B123's on my bike for a while and the drops are pretty ridiculous for riding on the street.

Me too. Upward stem like track racers = upright position gripping the tops & more comfortable/less ridiculous drop

'08 was good

Aesthetic look, eh? Yes track drops look nice when they're lowww. But if you like the look of modern track bikes, you can good reach and comfort from deep drops using a upward stem. The woes of threadless are precut steerers. Otherwise, spacers and a short, negative stem. Even then most drops are still way deep.

So, are there any shallow track drops/ road drops that don't look crazy

I'm on the hunt, as a short person w a small bike.