Bicyclettes

canice

yay i gave my roadbike a tuneup, going to go out riding today!

quick question, do you guys ever ride with your ipod on in street situations?

I do.

The left earphone ripped off while riding, in my cranks... So I ride only listening to my iPod in my right ear. Makes my hearing more acute with my left ear. Plus it has a short cord, so I dont have to worry about it getting in my cranks or anything.

2 and a half hour ride this morning alone. Hardly any cars. Hella cold.

100_0771.jpg

Cept I took out the back wheel again, because I cant dig 46x18. And I just got a flat on the front, so Im pretty much gonna be on my regular set up tmrw.

just so you guys know, it's illegal to ride with headphones in both ears (in california... i'm in traffic school for some moving violations.) I guess that allows headsets and riding with one headphone bud in-- but i still don't see how this is a good idea.

People can ride brakeless, helmetless, whatever-- but if you endanger me, my friends, or just freak out cars because you're throwing your dumb deaf meat infront of them, that's where I draw the line. I don't see why you'd let a deaf person ride a bike in a city, so why are earbuds/headphones any better? If you want music, get some speakers in your bag. Or just get off your bike.

just so you guys know, it's illegal to ride with headphones in both ears (in california... i'm in traffic school for some moving violations.) I guess that allows headsets and riding with one headphone bud in-- but i still don't see how this is a good idea.

People can ride brakeless, helmetless, whatever-- but if you endanger me, my friends, or just freak out cars because you're throwing your dumb deaf meat infront of them, that's where I draw the line. I don't see why you'd let a deaf person ride a bike in a city, so why are earbuds/headphones any better? If you want music, get some speakers in your bag. Or just get off your bike.

glad I don't live in cali.

and if I'm in front of them I have the right of way.

sooooo way are you in traffic school?

and for a minute I thought I was on bf,fg,ss

why the thought of being on bffgss?

In traffic school for a moving violation. It all started when I was rushing to pick up my girlfriend and my car battery died. Then I sat in the gas station and waited for AAA to jump start my car. Once it got started, I called her, found out time was getting a bit stiff, so I made a left turn where I shouldn't have. It was dumb, I was on the cell phone, felt like stopping would make my car die, and was rushing around on a fairly main avenue of San Francisco.

Glad the cop didn't make me turn off my car engine-- or I would have been stranded and extremely late. Her parents felt pretty bad about the ticket since I was basically driving her and had no reason to go an hour south. They offered to pay part of the ticket, but something about pride, self sufficiency, or embarrassment made me not want to accept their money.

you're kind of a dick dystaind. endangering you and your friends? headphones or not you're in a few thousand pound death box, you better be watching where the fuck you're going at all times. expect people to shoot out from nowhere because at the end of the day, they might have been in the wrong, but you'll have to live with someone dying with you behind the wheel.

I always ride with headphones, but its typically low and always under the shirt so if I feel like i should take em out they just sit on the collar. Although one bud stopped working recently so i cut it off and apparently run the same setup as stunt, one ear in, it's nice because i only hear the music if i'm listening for it, and can hear everything else fine.

Even safety conscious old-coots know hearing is not a particularly valuable sense to avoid traffic on your bicycle. By the time you hear something, you're hit. You react far, far, far more quickly to sight, because sound takes physical time to reach your ears.

Yes, you should be able to hear over your music. No, it will not endanger you to listen to it; but you should be smart enough to not have it if it ends up distracting you.

It is 100% illegal to drive a car with headphones. It is not illegal to ride a bike with them.

Are you being sarcastic? What about cars behind you, creeping on small side streets etc.? There are definitely many instances where I hear cars before I see them, and adjust accordingly.

stunt, i'm liking the bar setup.

what gearing do you usually run if you're not digging he 46x18?

Thanks.

Currently running 46x16. Ive had that on my Pista, so I put the same set up on my Pake. Thought about going 48x18. Might do that before I leave.

Bought some Black Deda drops today in San Ramone... I really wish I had another frame so I could just fuck around with builds...

Checked out a Swobo (sp?) Sanchez(?) today... Weird ass frame, but I dig it, sort of...

So tired, had to jam to work forday and my legs died on me...

You react far, far, far more quickly to sight, because sound takes physical time to reach your ears.

I don't know how fast you're riding your bike, but when I ride I don't really notice how sluggish the speed of sound is compared to the speed of light. Also, your brain takes longer to react to visual stimuli vs aural.

The rest of your argument made sense but this part was just retarded.

do you climb hills with that 46x16, Jan?

Luckily where Im at, theres not too many hills. Just a shit load of bridges etc etc.

But wen I went riding with Jeremy, I wasnt prepared for such long hills. Which sucked. They werent bad at all, but I didnt realize how long they were, and I started off slow going up and didnt make it.

But it wasnt TOO bad...

damn, it's kind of a high ratio, though. don't fuck up your knees, dude. that'd suuuuuck.

are you kidding? 46x16 is nothing. i ride 48x17 on portland hills (ratio difference between 46x16 and 48x17 is .05) and i definitely don't see it being a strain.

and your ears help a lot when it comes to not wanting to come to a dead stop at every less-than-visible intersection