Bicyclettes

canice

sweet yea i went off and did my tape measure bit and 61 seems about right,velospace is so dangerous just looking at all those bikes,already got me thinking i should build!i can see these becoming another adicition once i get riding.anyone set up a soma rush?

^ ben'sbike on ebay usually has an auction for a clips/straps/pedals for MKS sylvans for under $50. the straps aren't too awesome, but they'll last awhile.

i do not recommend riding brakeless without clips/straps - i.e. on platforms or anythign else. if you slip off the pedal, its not pretty.

hehe yeah i know.. that seems to be a huge topic on just about every bike forum/thread everywhere. I've just been riding it on a bike trail to school and through low traffic neighborhoods to work to keep it safe till i get brakes or new pedals. Thanks for the concern though :)

^ ben'sbike on ebay usually has an auction for a clips/straps/pedals for MKS sylvans for under $50. the straps aren't too awesome, but they'll last awhile.

hah funny coincidence, I got sylvans and a nitto bar from bens about an hour ago :)

Being a mountainbiker pedals dont seem to last too long. On the orange that I showed I swapped my old Primo non sealed platforms for some sealed atomlab pedals, after 6months ( maybe more but definately under a year ) my dad has noticed play in em, quite a bit to be honest. Pretty disapointing as my non sealed pedals lasted a few years. Are there any really well sealed pedals out there? Platform with pins?

so im thinking of repainting my fixie soon- last time i used a black enamel spray paint which worked well.. im thinking of a more "happy" colour this time, also matte instead of glossy. my question is does anyone know of anything i can rustproof over my "happy" colour that wont make it shiny??

so im thinking of repainting my fixie soon- last time i used a black enamel spray paint which worked well.. im thinking of a more "happy" colour this time, also matte instead of glossy. my question is does anyone know of anything i can rustproof over my "happy" colour that wont make it shiny??

not 100% sure what you mean, but if you want a matte finish why not use matte clear coat / lacquer? thats what makes the surcafe either shiny or matte.

IMO a matte finish is much nicer

I thought I might raise my hand to the shout-out for Downhillers/Freeriders. Hopefully some more lurkers will speak out and we can branch into our own thread; it's unlikely though. Most mountain bikers seem to be a bit clueless in regard to fashion, ordering most of their clothes from the same site as they purchase their tyres & tubes from.

if you can swing it, do a matte powdercoat. for a frame / fork it usually ranges from $50-$150. some places will be super cheap.

Being a mountainbiker pedals dont seem to last too long. On the orange that I showed I swapped my old Primo non sealed platforms for some sealed atomlab pedals, after 6months ( maybe more but definately under a year ) my dad has noticed play in em, quite a bit to be honest. Pretty disapointing as my non sealed pedals lasted a few years. Are there any really well sealed pedals out there? Platform with pins?

I've alwys found unsealed last longer than sealed. Just don't pay too much for them and then beat them silly.

The bodies will last the same amount of time whether they are sealed or not (unless they're of different materials obviously) so I'd rather half the cost and get unsealed.

Where would you recommend getting a frame painted? I'm guessing autobody shops, but just want to make sure I haven't overlooked other types of businesses.

look up powder coating in the yellow pages. most of those places will also do paint and tend to do all kinds of projects instead of just cars.

campag wheels with dura ace hubs? interesting.

Profile pedals are pretty much the ultimate as far as durability. I actually ride bmx for Profile, but I would ride their pedals even if I didn't. They are expensive, but I have never switched them out due to them breaking or anything, and I know plenty of people who have the same experience. They are a bit heavier than the old Primos, but they also make a Ti axle for them....

www.profileracing.com

-chad

UPS guy delivered my new pedal setup today. MKS Custom Nuevo Wide pedals, Soma Oppy XX Four-Gate toe clips and Fujitoshi Deluxe double straps. Cage is super stiff with this setup. I dig it.

april07pickups01.jpg

april07pickups02.jpg

april07pickups03.jpg

april07pickups04.jpg

i always thought double straps where overkill, granted they look sweet. but i've been riding the same leather straps for over a year through all kinds of wet weather and they're holding up like champs. but maybe your really snap hard into skids

I'd agree with Loop that running unsealed pedals to destruction is probably the best approach but I've had a pair of Easton Flats on my BMX for three years and although they've had play in them for about 2 and a half years they've never given up on me... The trouble with sealed pedals seems to be:

1. the bearing size (for obvious reasons they've tiny)

2. the long tapered bush that most of them run means that replacing the bearings doesn't get rid of the play.

I've had a few friends run atomlab pedals and they seem to have developed a reputation for being shite..

Wow, thanks gem, chad and greentalk, much appreciated. I think im going to run em untill they die, its just dissapointing a 70 quid pedal doesnt make it a year without play.

My dad actually drilled grease ports into my old primos as a way of flushing em - if you get my drift.

Also whilst im posting, I think the primos are abit stronger for some reason, I never had any pin probs with em for years and years, since ive had the atomlabs ive snapped 2 pins, pish.

Seventy quid for flat pedals!

I'd say you should try some Gusset Slim Jims or, if you can get hold of them, some Attila's. The Gusset's come in various incarnations sealed/unsealed/mag/alu etc. They should be a bit cheaper than their counterparts and you'll be supporting a UK company.

DMR is the classic alternative but I don't think they're worth the money, especially with the improvements from the newer UK companies.