Bicyclettes

canice

^ my concern is in situations like:

a) Need to brake in the rain one of those metal plates they use to cover street work. You're fucked.

B) Need to brake and your chain has fallen off. You're fucked.

c) Need to brake and your foot has popped out of your toe clips (which hopefully you HAVE) at high velocity. You're fucked.

d) Need to brake and your rear hub is busted. You're fucked.

I'm not saying you should USE it in lieu of backpedaling if you're more comfortable with that method, just that I think it's nuts to not at least have a backup when there are so many circumstances (I bet others could come up with more) under which that method is either not available or not effective.

Although I agree that with practice you can learn to avoid dangerous situations, it takes a while to get there (some people never do - just last week I saw a dude wipe out on a metal plate near houston street and nearly get his head crushed by an SUV). And even then you can't account for shit happening quickly.

I mean, I like fixed gears, I own one. I just don't ride it around town on errands. It stays on the track or in the circle on central park, where it belongs.I use a geared bike the rest of the time. With brakes. :)

^ my concern is in situations like:

a) Need to brake in the rain one of those metal plates they use to cover street work. You're fucked.

B) Need to brake and your chain has fallen off. You're fucked.

c) Need to brake and your foot has popped out of your toe clips (which hopefully you HAVE) at high velocity. You're fucked.

d) Need to brake and your rear hub is busted. You're fucked.

I'm not saying you should USE it in lieu of backpedaling if you're more comfortable with that method, just that I think it's nuts to not at least have a backup when there are so many circumstances (I bet others could come up with more) under which that method is either not available or not effective.

Although I agree that with practice you can learn to avoid dangerous situations, it takes a while to get there (some people never do - just last week I saw a dude wipe out on a metal plate near houston street and nearly get his head crushed by an SUV). And even then you can't account for shit happening quickly.

I mean, I like fixed gears, I own one. I just don't ride it around town on errands. It stays on the track or in the circle on central park, where it belongs.I use a geared bike the rest of the time. With brakes. :)

My chain dropped while spinning down on one of the biggest hill in my area, I was real glad I had a front brake. Seriously, you don't even realize what's going on in the moment.. I heard a loud bang and slammed the brake instinctively to see what the damage was. I'd be surprised if anyone had the reflex to jam their foot on the wheel the first time it happens to them

Of course if you're just gonna be riding around the city its not really a concern, but for longer rides in hilly terrain, a brake is definitely a good idea IMO. It'll save you a lot of energy as well.

As an EMERGENCY backup threes always Tedshredding. Of course this would fuck up your shoes and tire but remember it's for emergencies. Not to condone ridin breaklwss, I think it's pretty crazy riding around heavy traffic without, but I live in a very suburban area where any accident would be because of faulty drivers or retarded riders (most sidewalks are rode upon by cruisers and bmx, tons of bike lanes, etc). Although I've had a chain pop on a hill, prob 100ft, and it stopped me

No problem. But I guess it's a different story when comes time for SF grade hills on the daily.

tedshredding I think will only work when below certain velocities, and within certain grades. I can image that trying that maneuver at high speeds on a downhill 25 degre angle would cause you to flip over your handlebars... To say nothing of friction heat melting your shoes etc.

MASH and MACAFRAMA were both very influential in the spread of fixed gear culture. The apparent recklessness in their respective films obviously appealed to certain demographics. A lot of the crew members are or have been bike messengers in the past and that's just how they rolled. Sure, it's dangerous what they're doing but as with many things, it's all part of the attraction.

Skitching is douchy but not that crazy.

I hate all the reckless riding regardless of who is doing it or reasons as it makes such a bad presence to drivers and any cyclist, strong or simple rec/commuter can't ride without the driver tapping into past rage.

It gives people the wrong impression for life, and that's bad for everyone... and yeah I was a messenger and did all this shit, but you leave that kind of behavior in the core with your radio.

The conclusion was to gtfo of here and post on bikeforums.

that's what zelah did :P

JUUUUST KIDDDDDING. But he does post on bf though.

Anyone with a bike can ride wreckless. Ive seen people on mtb and roadies who pull some dumb moves when riding in the streets. The way you brake is up to you. But when it comes down to it, Ice is back with a brand new invention.

Has anybody had experience buying from outlier.cc? I like the cut / idea of their hoodies and want to purchase. But the 'workwear pants' are a little ridiculous.

I refuse to give those assholes my money. I mean really who are they fooling?

I have some of the 4Season OG pants and find them to be very good pants and at a good price point compared to technical pants from the likes of ACR or Veilance, or maybe more applicable for this thread, Rapha. I do highly doubt that construction workers have readily adopted their "workwear" pants, but it gives them an excuse to use another kind of fabric to create another product for their line. I am not sure that makes them assholes.

Schoeller fabric is really, really, really expensive and difficult to import. Price reflects materials, though I'm not getting a pair at that cost anytime soon myself either.

I have Swrve coated black jeans in size "30" but they are a 31-32 trim fit and don't fit me. Soaked only, to try and shrink, if anyone's interested.