Bicyclettes

canice

I don't know what's the big deal with learning to skid. It looks ugly, damages your tire, can fuck up your knees and doesn't stop you faster. If you want to learn something useful on your fixie, learn trackstands.

haha, i'm next level. I can trackstand on my freewheel. (not that it really makes any difference ever).

^^I'm not sure but if you're going fast and have to do a tight corner, can't skidding help you around it if there isn't going to be enough clearance between the pedal on the downstroke and the ground?

I was riding on a bike path the other day without foot retention and came up to this situation. Ended up running off the track cos I couldn't make the turn despite front braking.

^^I'm not sure but if you're going fast and have to do a tight corner, can't skidding help you around it if there isn't going to be enough clearance between the pedal on the downstroke and the ground?

Absolutely not.

You must not ride well at all. Don't brake in a corner, you will crash. I've crashed from my rear wheel skidding from lack of traction in untold occasions in cyclocross and MTB, as well as on the road in various situations.

If your wheel locks up and skids, you are not upright in a turn, and the traction-less wheel won't support your weight via inertia anymore and the bike collapses very, very quickly beneath you.

BRAKE BEFORE CORNERING NOT DURING.

It's not like e-braking a car at all. Not at all.

Sure, I'm a beginner and have been riding only a few weeks. But you know when you begin to think you're getting the hang of things and start feeling like you're THE shit? I don't like to admit it but I'm almost certainly a terrible rider at the moment.

It's part of the reason I began my sentence with "I'm not sure..."

But anyway, how can you be upright in a fast corner? Don't you bank? Advice taken though on braking before cornering.

I don't know what's the big deal with learning to skid. It looks ugly, damages your tire, can fuck up your knees and doesn't stop you faster. If you want to learn something useful on your fixie, learn trackstands.

i can definitely stop faster and more controlled on my brakeless track bike than on my road bike in an emergency situation and in general. hands down.

^ Definitely is a strong word. Having a front brake and using it will stop you faster than locking up the rear wheel. .

Quote from Sheldon Brown, "You really should have a front brake. A front brake, all by itself, will stop a bicycle as fast as it is possible to stop. This is true because when you are applying the front brake to the maximum, there is no weight on the rear wheel, so it has no traction."

Those who know how to ride fast on a brakeless track bike, through traffic, with obstacles galore, know how to stop when they need to.

Those who haven't, don't understand the logic of it.

Those who try to and suck at it, will crash.

Anyways...

Little bike lock key predicament...

My kid lost my keys, one chain lock, one U-lock, both attached to the same key ring. I have two spares for the U, and one for the chain.

Except for...

The chain lock doesn't have a keygrip or whatever that shit's called. It's just the key rod.

What I'm asking is...

A) Has anyone been able to get a bike key, copied?

B) Does anyone have/have seen a makeshift grippy thingy?

Those who know how to ride fast on a brakeless track bike, through traffic, with obstacles galore, know how to stop when they need to.

Those who haven't, don't understand the logic of it.

Those who try to and suck at it, will crash.

Anyways...

Little bike lock key predicament...

My kid lost my keys, one chain lock, one U-lock, both attached to the same key ring. I have two spares for the U, and one for the chain.

Except for...

The chain lock doesn't have a keygrip or whatever that shit's called. It's just the key rod.

What I'm asking is...

A) Has anyone been able to get a bike key, copied?

B) Does anyone have/have seen a makeshift grippy thingy?

Are you saying the key is basically a tube, with no flat to grip on? Have you tried using it like that you may be able to grip it enough by hand, if not I would just wrap electrical tape around it until it is big enough to grip effectively.

Absolutely not.

You must not ride well at all. Don't brake in a corner, you will crash. I've crashed from my rear wheel skidding from lack of traction in untold occasions in cyclocross and MTB, as well as on the road in various situations.

If your wheel locks up and skids, you are not upright in a turn, and the traction-less wheel won't support your weight via inertia anymore and the bike collapses very, very quickly beneath you.

BRAKE BEFORE CORNERING NOT DURING.

It's not like e-braking a car at all. Not at all.

Racing bikes is just like racing motorcycles and cars. If you need to brake in the corner, its already to late.

Are you saying the key is basically a tube, with no flat to grip on? Have you tried using it like that you may be able to grip it enough by hand, if not I would just wrap electrical tape around it until it is big enough to grip effectively.

Or, if i'm understanding correctly, and I assume I'm not because Im stupid, use pliers?

Question: Opinions on the new leader reaper forks?

c5301c05.jpg

yadadadamean...

It works as is. But come the rains, it'll be a bitch and a half.

Throw the key into one of those key fob things that people are using these days.

The things that look like swiss army knife casings.

Don't know if it's too late for you now, but if you registered your lock with kryptonite they can make copies for you.

Part of successfully riding brakeless is understanding that you will never in no way possible stop faster than with a front brake. Unless you consider smashing into a wall stopping.

Well, the key that needs a grip is from my On Guard chain lock. Which I happened to buy used.

I was considering putting it into that shell from my other Kryptonite key, since I have one other spare... But it's a smaller key, so it wouldn't sit all that flush.

And I would make that keyfob using a micra tool, but I don't have the time or tools to do ghat. Well, I got the tools, but no time.

Ima tear apart my room in hopes of finding those keys. Then I'll have to dig through a shit ton of dust, blocks, books and toys.

^no big deal. The bar and even the grips can be cleaned with dish detergent or any bicycle cleaning foam. Just wipe with a sponge and it's ok. Of course it gets dirty after a muddy ride, but so far I had no problems. the MTB grips are replaced every 4 months or so anyway, because they start to lose grip then.

Edit: the pic of my MTB was taken after a whole day in the bikepark, after I cleaned with water. And it still looks acceptable, no?