Bicyclettes

canice

hey guys i want to start biking and i saw online that they these bikes from republic, i was wondering if these bike are quality enough to start riding ive read mixed reviews too

heres the link http://www.republicbike.com/

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-505589.html

thats a good thread on the republic bikes.

the basic gist is that the frame is okay for really basic riding, but the rest of the components are pretty shit. i've personally heard a few stories about how easily their wheels get fucked up from city riding and just hitting your average smaller pothole.

get a kilo or something, those seem to be very well liked entry level bikes by everyone i know who rides one. bikesdirect.com

Girlfriend just picked up a Raleigh One Way on the cheap. Digging it so far, some pretty nice components came stock (Cane creek headset, brooks saddle, etc) and it's a great ride for commuting. She wants some panniers, any suggestions? something canvas and leather in a darker shade (navy or black) Also, how do they mount exactly? Do you need a special kind of rear rack?

Girlfriend just picked up a Raleigh One Way on the cheap. Digging it so far, some pretty nice components came stock (Cane creek headset, brooks saddle, etc) and it's a great ride for commuting. She wants some panniers, any suggestions? something canvas and leather in a darker shade (navy or black) Also, how do they mount exactly? Do you need a special kind of rear rack?

For panniers, I just received some Ostrich panniers. They are a very classic design (essentially Gilles Berthoud style, but made in Japan). Check Gilles Berthoud as well--more color options as well rather than the forest green Ostrich panniers. I'm not sure of the pricing, but I imagine they are more expensive than the Ostrich bags. Decent size, not so decent price at around $122 per pannier (worth it imo). They're made of a heavy canvas with leather straps that you attach to the rack. And yes, she will need a rack for the panniers. Most any rack will work assuming that her bike has braze-ons.

Picture4-2.jpg

I want this. thought long and hard about a new car (after my previous one was stolen and set on fire), and i've come to the conclusion that while i'm close enough to work (roughly 9km) that I should just get fit and ride. I feel lazy lately anyway and this will be the perfect way to get fit.

That being said, I need a bike straight up that I really like, to inspire me to ride. This is the best I have come across in my local area so far that I can own within less than a week. I can't wait for overseas shipping or building a custom, just don't have the time.

I've read mixed reviews about it, but it seems to be one of the better pre-built in it's range for my needs atm....

yes/no/thoughts/hate/suggestions?

This is terrible. You would destroy your nuts riding this thing.

I need to post up my bike and spend more time on this thread.

Please do.

I feel like I should read up on this thread myself, as I'm really getting lazy, and I think a commute to work and back is just the thing to get my cardio in.

Velo-Orange is pretty dope. I've been living vicariously through my girlfriends bike, putting new basket on the front, new pedals, new bars.

Is there any kind of bar where I can just swap the hoods on her drops sideways or something? I remember something on Velo-Orange a while ago.

concor is a nice saddle.

i picked up a white one from PBK awhile ago.. should have also bought a black one. before that i was riding a rolls (which was comfortable too) but the concor is much nicer looking i think.

ive read that the quality of the concor has gone down since the originals, but i think theyre fine.

Concor Light is a classic shape, and rather comfortable. I usually switch between that and a Fizik Arione. One of these days, I'll give Brooks a try.

what saddle are you guys using?

anyone got good words for a super corsa concor ??

selle an-atomica.

it has a hole in it for your balls to get trapped in when you ride drunk and naked.

trust me, it sucks. :(

rebuilt my bike for winter/next year, just regreased/cleaned things and sprayed some clear coat on the frame so the paint chips don't rust too bad. I also switched handlebars and brake levers, put on a drilled chain ring i had, and put my sealed wheels on for winter.

heres what she looked like last winter, when i was still commuting to school and back with lots of stuff:

3276646827_aefebcea54.jpg

and now, set up to fit just like my road bike:

4151389234_bebef11ff5.jpg

new leather stuff i made for it:

4150631147_11dc7fc5af.jpg

4151389898_eb7538ca07.jpg

selle an-atomica.

it has a hole in it for your balls to get trapped in when you ride drunk and naked.

trust me, it sucks. :(

i have that saddle, the strange thing is sometimes it digs into my thighs at the outeredge and other days it doesnt.

(it may be due to my riding style... sometimes when im tired i lean back alot)

i've noticed the more i lean in the less chafing happens..

:x

might try the imperial b17 narrow... since i loved the feeling of the brooks smoothness and durability but wasnt satisfied with the width!

Velo-Orange is pretty dope. I've been living vicariously through my girlfriends bike, putting new basket on the front, new pedals, new bars.

Is there any kind of bar where I can just swap the hoods on her drops sideways or something? I remember something on Velo-Orange a while ago.

Look into a Mustache bar. They get mixed reviews from people, but for a commuter/around-towner, they do just fine. Nashbar makes one, Nitto does as well. Personally, I would go for the Nitto. I've used them on my touring rig and enjoyed them. They were fine on shortish rides (30-40 miles), but anything beyond that was a bit strenuous on my hands. Still, they are much more versatile than a flat bar and you can use aero levers on them.

Corter,

Im curious about these. Did u think about using the more common spring loaded clamp? Also, as they seem to be unlaminated, are they stretching much?

yea, i did think about using the spring loaded clamp. I decided to go for the buckle though, because since the leather's not laminated it needs to be thicker to not stretch, and the clamp type closure wouldn't allow for such thickness. I'm still testing em now, so I won't know how they stretch for a while, but so far (about a month) they haven't stretched much/at all. the key is to use a shoulder cut from the hide, as it's the tightest grain and toughest cut. something like a belly cut would stretch out in a heartbeat.