Bicyclettes

canice

Guest youkinorn
if you got a quill..it's threaded and 1"

so if it's non-quill and threadless, it is 1 1/8"? I'm riding a 2008 schwinn madison if that helps.

I looked on the stat sheet for the bike on schwinn's website, but it wasn't any help.

hey, I'd say like 150-160 is reasonable?

at least, that's the lowest Ive seen them brand new

most likely you can find the sugino 75s cheaper at a local bike shop than online.

online its anywhere from 160-220 and the shop where I go is 140.

Thanks for the answers! I guess I'll buy them then. Price at a shop near me is $125.

so if it's non-quill and threadless, it is 1 1/8"? I'm riding a 2008 schwinn madison if that helps.

I looked on the stat sheet for the bike on schwinn's website, but it wasn't any help.

This thread seems to say it's 1 1/8". 1" threadless is pretty rare, I think it mainly exists so people with 1" threaded headsets have the option of converting to threadless.

edit: Sheldon Brown mentions that 1 1/8" THREADED headsets exist as well, but are very, very uncommon. Weiiiird.

So in the past couple of days, I've read through this entire thread. I was given an old bianchi from my friends dad (road bike, shimano 600 components) and another old univega with suntour components. The bianchi is too large for me and so I'm beginning to switch stuff from the bianchi to the univega.

At any rate, I'll have some left over parts and I'd rather buy a frame with track dropouts and build up a fixed gear rather than build a conversion from a road frame.

Since its my first build/fixed gear, I'm looking for a so-so frame with closer to track geometry over relaxed.

I'm not really interested in the bikesdirect bikes (kilo tt, winsor) cause I don't need a complete. It'd be nice if I could just buy the frame and fork for $200.

Any thoughts on this frame?

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=24744

with this fork:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=24902&subcategory_ID=9999

I figure with the 10% off, it'll bring it to less than $200 to start. Track wheel set gonna go with some mavic cxp's for ~$150. Hopefully I'd be able to use the <strike>shimano 600</strike> suntour crankset with some mks pedals/clips. So I'm guessing i still need a lockring, cog, hub, chain? New chain ring?

Is it likely that my seat post won't work from the road bike? I understand I'll be purchasing other things as well. Likely stem, probably seat post, headset..

So given that I'll be nearly the price of the kilo tt (they don't have my size anyways) but have a better but at least on par bike?

Sorry, but I'm a total noob. I do have my cousin who rides old steel frame bikes who's gonna help me build but I'd like your guy's input as well. He suggests I should get a track crankset for a better chain line.

So who has some things they wanna sell me to help me build this piece?

Or should I just try to buy a complete.

So I'm planning on picking up a Thomson Elite stem in the near future but I can't decide on what rise to go with. I've been thinking of getting the 15 deg so I could use it for risers/flip it for drops but I'm not sure if the drop will be too severe.

Anyone have experience with this?

So in the past couple of days, I've read through this entire thread. I was given an old bianchi from my friends dad (road bike, shimano 600 components) and another old univega with suntour components. The bianchi is too large for me and so I'm beginning to switch stuff from the bianchi to the univega.

you should not be a douche. put the 600 components on the road frame that fits you OR just sell the bianchi and get another bike. its one thing to convert an already parted out frame or one that has old shitty components, but to take apart a solid bike is the dumbest shit ever. there is this kid up here who "took off some shitty parts.." from a c-record era De Rosa to make a shitty ass fixie as he called it. FAIL. Don't be a dunce.

If i'm getting some pretty shitty noise while pedaling, is it the crank set or chainring or chain or? Combination?

check your chainring bolts and pedals (both being tight in the crank and have the pedal cones properly adjusted). if its a nasty creak, it could also be that your cranks aren'nt tight enough on the bb spindle or that your bb isn't screwed in tight enough. the chain probably won't ever be the cause of any nasty noise.

So I'm planning on picking up a Thomson Elite stem in the near future but I can't decide on what rise to go with. I've been thinking of getting the 15 deg so I could use it for risers/flip it for drops but I'm not sure if the drop will be too severe.

Anyone have experience with this?

do what's comfortable. the 15º rise really isn't as much as you think. with it flipped, its a little shallower than a nitto drop.

you should not be a douche. put the 600 components on the road frame that fits you OR just sell the bianchi and get another bike. its one thing to convert an already parted out frame or one that has old shitty components, but to take apart a solid bike is the dumbest shit ever. there is this kid up here who "took off some shitty parts.." from a c-record era De Rosa to make a shitty ass fixie as he called it. FAIL. Don't be a dunce.

Yeah. I was gonna put the 600 components on the frame that fits me (better than the suntour components?) I sorta like indexed shifting.

I would feel bad selling the bike cause it was a gift.

I was looking to buy a track frame cause I didn't want to ruin a perfectly good road bike by converting it.

I remember that kid and I thought that was dumb too. :o

check your chainring bolts and pedals (both being tight in the crank and have the pedal cones properly adjusted). if its a nasty creak, it could also be that your cranks aren'nt tight enough on the bb spindle or that your bb isn't screwed in tight enough. the chain probably won't ever be the cause of any nasty noise.

It might be my ears fooling me but it's sort of a flapping noise coming from the hub? I'll go check it out this week or something.

Yeah. I was gonna put the 600 components on the frame that fits me (better than the suntour components?) I sorta like indexed shifting.

most likely better than the suntour components. superbe pro is probably the only suntour group that would be in that ballpark.

Just came in yesterday :). Hopefully i'll have this built by the end of the month.

212h0l4.jpg

nice! mine got shipped monday. my wallet hates me.

my wallet hates me.

ha, my wife hates me. 2nd build this year.

Anyone know a place i can pick up some campy record cranks for around 300. businesscycle is expensive and nothing on ebay.

i'm working on fixing this one up:

2mo85ye.jpg

update

38uv8.jpg

threw on some mavic rims, a brooks saddle, some handle bar tape, new pedals, and saddle bag.

does anyone one know anything about gear conversion kits? i want to put the shifters on the handle bars instead of the frame.

ha, my wife hates me. 2nd build this year.

Anyone know a place i can pick up some campy record cranks for around 300. businesscycle is expensive and nothing on ebay.

watch aebike.com ... they pop up on there and disappear as soon as they list them for a decent deal.

do you not have any bike shop friends? QBP discount is the mothafuckin jam.