Bicyclettes

canice

toldey, nothing personal if you wear one, i know its not as safe without one.. but i just think of the doofus dad and his training wheels kid when i see people moseying along on bikes wearing helmets. basically, i sorta view bicycle helmets and roller blade wrist guards in the same light.. i dont know why/where the connection is, just the impression i get in my head.

racing and serious shits different, i wouldnt hold it against those guys, but i just use a bike to get from a to b, thus i choose not to wear one. a slick, streamlined helmet or a bulky pro-tec bmx looking thing would both look mad retarded on me, i guess its my fashion over function side talking..

no worries dino might!, i don't wear one currently but do plan on getting one in the very near future. living in a city where there aren't the more patient and respectful drivers, i often get nervous at times but im all for it and could care less about how it all looks.

no brakes, so i might as well wear a helmet just in case ya know?

No, that is ass-backwards logic.

I knew this kid that rode around, brakeless, everywhere, near-recklessly (because of not having brakes) yet he wore a helmet without fail.

Yeah, he got run over by a garbage truck tryin' to switch lanes like a pro and died.

Helmets won't save your body, skill and preparation can.

yeah I used to partake in alleycats..then school got the best of me. there are a few coming up in the area so i think i'll ride again
So people still ride fixed? I thought the hype was gone.
A helmet is a good excuse to go higher gear ratio and ride faster in the streets.

are you dumb or stupid?

trying to sell a wheelset and I got this weird ass email, is this how people usually contact craigslist sellers, I usually use ebay or discussion boards:

"

Hello ,

I'm Mr. Alexander Craig, Am a British Citizen, but live in Canada ; I came across your advert on www.Craigslist.com and am highly interested in Purchasing the {Alex AClass Rims -- Bianchi } which you offer for sale. Due to the fact that it's been a long time have been searching for it, Please I want you kindly get back to me as soon as possible with the necessary answers to the question below:

1. Are you the first owner?

2. The present condition?

3. How long has it been yours?

4. Who did you buy it from?

5. And your final asking price?

6. And why have you decide to sell it?

And I will also like you to send me Pictures to enable me view what I Intend to purchase and I will like you to know that my form of payment is through a USPS Money Order..

I await your urgent response so that we can proceed further..

Note: Please I want you to get back to me with your final asking price..

Most Sincerely,

Alexander Craig.."

Money Order?

If anybody wants the wheelset, I sellz for good price.

trying to sell a wheelset and I got this weird ass email, is this how people usually contact craigslist sellers, I usually use ebay or discussion boards:

"

Hello ,

I'm Mr. Alexander Craig, Am a British Citizen, but live in Canada ; I came across your advert on www.Craigslist.com and am highly interested in Purchasing the {Alex AClass Rims -- Bianchi } which you offer for sale. Due to the fact that it's been a long time have been searching for it, Please I want you kindly get back to me as soon as possible with the necessary answers to the question below:

1. Are you the first owner?

2. The present condition?

3. How long has it been yours?

4. Who did you buy it from?

5. And your final asking price?

6. And why have you decide to sell it?

And I will also like you to send me Pictures to enable me view what I Intend to purchase and I will like you to know that my form of payment is through a USPS Money Order..

I await your urgent response so that we can proceed further..

Note: Please I want you to get back to me with your final asking price..

Most Sincerely,

Alexander Craig.."

Money Order?

If anybody wants the wheelset, I sellz for good price.

tell him you want electronic bank money transfer, or cash in person, or nothing at all.

don't fall prey to stupid scams man. that's typical shit from CL. when i sold my powerbook on there last year. i got a fuckton of emails from nigs in nigeria and shit.

No, that is ass-backwards logic.

I knew this kid that rode around, brakeless, everywhere, near-recklessly (because of not having brakes) yet he wore a helmet without fail.

Yeah, he got run over by a garbage truck tryin' to switch lanes like a pro and died.

Helmets won't save your body, skill and preparation can.

what about having a helmet, and skill and preparation?

seriously, who cares about how you look when you are biking (I am aware I am talking to a male fashion forum)? I don't know about anyone else here, but I am usually sweating balls and breathing hard anyways.

One concussion can fuck you up bad if you are sensitive to them. IMO it just isn't worth it.

^and in my opinion its not worth it to spend time looking silly and worrying about something that more than likely wont ever happen. just different strokes.

being sweaty and gross i can deal with. looking like i have epilepsy.. i cant.

what about having a helmet, and skill and preparation?

seriously, who cares about how you look when you are biking (I am aware I am talking to a male fashion forum)? I don't know about anyone else here, but I am usually sweating balls and breathing hard anyways.

One concussion can fuck you up bad if you are sensitive to them. IMO it just isn't worth it.

What I'm saying is that having a brake is about a billion times safer, offering the chance to NOT crash at all, versus expecting for your crash lid to save you.

I have ridden brakeless and helmetless for a long time. Got in my share of crashes with and without the helmet, all the motorists fault in the case of helmetless, mine when wearing a helmet.

Yes, unless the rest of you looks really fast and PRO, that skid-lid makes you look like a tosser.

What I'm saying is that having a brake is about a billion times safer, offering the chance to NOT crash at all, versus expecting for your crash lid to save you.

I agree to an extent, but I think on a subtle level people are a lot more willing to do risky ass moves outside of their skill level when they have a brake, because they feel it's a get out of jail free card. Sheldon Brown wrote something about it a while ago, and it made a lot of sense to me.

\/\/

Thanks for the wall of text, I guess it was someone else then. point still stands regardless

I agree to an extent, but I think on a subtle level people are a lot more willing to do risky ass moves outside of their skill level when they have a brake, because they feel it's a get out of jail free card. Sheldon Brown wrote something about it a while ago, and it made a lot of sense to me.
Some fixed-gear riders ride on the road without brakes. This is a bad idea. I know, I've tried it. If you do it, and have any sense of self-preservation at all, it will cause you to go much slower than you otherwise could, everytime you go through an intersection, or pass a driveway. The need for constant extra vigilance takes a great deal of the fun out of cycling. You really should have a front brake. A front brake, all by itself, will stop a bicycle as fast as it is possible to stop. This is true because when you are applying the front brake to the maximum, there is no weight on the rear wheel, so it has no traction.

from http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html

While I do forget my helmet sometimes (only when I'm on the fixie...never forget it on the tri), it is blindingly stupid to avoid wearing a helmet. The chance of your helmet ever helping you is slim to none, but that small chance is enough for me. If you're worrying about looking dumb with a helmet on, think about how stupid you'll like with a cracked skull. Chicks dig scars though. That might be a plus.