opinions on reproducing jeans

steven

so i have access to a factory in vietnam. supposedly the craftsmanship there is pretty good. it's just that you need to supply good materials which i could probably find in the los angeles garment district.

i was thinking i could send a pair of 501's or something, have them reverse engineer it and make a few pairs with some high quality denim , and give a few pairs out at a very cheap price to a few sf members. and if things work out i might do things on a little bit bigger scale.

what do you guys think of this idea?

if it's not really a business venture and you don't have to worry about all the crap that goes along with business ventures (like making money), then why don't you get deep with it. most flights to saigon stop over in narita, so get a stopover of several days and catch a bullet train to okadaya to get the best hank-dyed ring-ring selvage denim you can possibly get. then spend some time w/ your factory and really get the fit perfect. obsess over every minute detail that goes into the jean...the pocket lining, the thread gauge, the number of stitches per inch, what you want the interior thread to be. have the rivets hand set, like on levi's made before the 30's, and make sure a little tuft of denim sticks up between the burr and rivet. don't skimp on anything, and more importantly don't overlook any detail...like when you attach the waistband, let the union special run the chainstitch about an inch past the end so you get like a little rope hanging off your waistband, then fold it back and tack it down with your fly stitch...look deeply at your jeans and you'll see.

then drop me an email when you're done.

if it's not really a business venture and you don't have to worry about all the crap that goes along with business ventures (like making money), then why don't you get deep with it. most flights to saigon stop over in narita, so get a stopover of several days and catch a bullet train to okadaya to get the best hank-dyed ring-ring selvage denim you can possibly get. then spend some time w/ your factory and really get the fit perfect. obsess over every minute detail that goes into the jean...the pocket lining, the thread gauge, the number of stitches per inch, what you want the interior thread to be. have the rivets hand set, like on levi's made before the 30's, and make sure a little tuft of denim sticks up between the burr and rivet. don't skimp on anything, and more importantly don't overlook any detail...like when you attach the waistband, let the union special run the chainstitch about an inch past the end so you get like a little rope hanging off your waistband, then fold it back and tack it down with your fly stitch...look deeply at your jeans and you'll see.

I don't even know why all of what he said is a good thing, but I'm a size 32 of one of those.

haha, its all about the dior 19 x eternal jeans ( or pbj! ), I was scrolling down waiting for dior to be mentioned, id like some dior repros, I expect alot of people would. Id make diors if i was you, why make 501's??? Your competing with Sugar Canes!!!........... will urs have the acurate?? hehe

dior repro?

the upcoming Self Edge x Iron Heart jeans have a very similar cut to a 21cm Dior.

they'll have Sterling Silver rivets, 21oz selvedge indigo, hidden rivets, etc..

i'm doing a custom tag and back pocket stitch for these..

:)

i'd be more interested in something like this than a dior repro...

but the work involved would be crazy. the perfect repro jean is a long way out of sight?

i'd be more interested in something like this than a dior repro...

but the work involved would be crazy. the perfect repro jean is a long way out of sight?

au contraire...the work is the same, it's just more thought put into it. for every minute detail on a pair of jeans, there is a decision to be made and either you are going to make that decision or the factory is going to make that decision, and as long as you let someone else make that decision, they will invariably err on the side of whatever is fastest and cheapest. that, in a nutshell, is the key to design.