Uniqlo — Japan's H&M — Signs Up Chichi Brands for NYC Store

doctorgnar

From New York Mag's Intelligencer:

(http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2006/10/uniqlo_japans_hm_signs_up_chic.html)

Intel

10/19/06

5:39 PM

Uniqlo — Japan's H&M — Signs Up Chichi Brands for NYC Store

Uniqlo, the Japanese source of hipster basics, is known for affordable T-shirt collaborations with artists like Barbara Kruger. Now we hear that the company plans to bring the same approach to its New York flagship when it opens on November 10. (Meantime, there's a temporary store at Rockefeller Center.) Sources say Uniqlo has tapped high-end designers Lutz & Patmos (cashmere sweaters), Philip Lim (womenswear), and Cloak (menswear) to create collections for the store for spring 2007. An official announcement is expected on Monday, but spokespeople for both Lutz & Patmos and Cloak confirmed the partnership. (Phillip Lim's spokesman would neither confirm nor deny.) All items — in Cloak's case, a jacket, a slim jean, a trouser, a polo shirt, and some shirting — will conform to Uniqlo's reasonable pricing philosophy (nearly everything is in the low double digits). We only hope the sizing will be more American than Japanese.

— Rima Suqi

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else feel that this is, in some way, the 'future' of fashion design?

I think judging how popular the Karl Lagerfeld H&M thing was, how popular the Stella McCartney thing was, and how popular I'm betting the Viktor & Rolf thing will be, affordable, well-designed goods are going to become a major income source for designers whose luxury goods only sell to a tiny market.

Nah, A&F will never collaborate ... I know that was a joke, but I see what you're saying, but I don't think it's even a necessary fear. I think "fashion-forward" mass-market retailers like Uniqlo and H&M will keep having high-profile designers design collections, and if it works as well as it has in the past, I can see American retailers like Gap picking up on the trend. Honestly I wouldn't mind that at all.

bluespring, Lucky sob!

Being monetarily challenged, Uniqlo is my kind of place.

The Rockefeller temp store and the upper west side location is news to me, I can drop by the latter during breaks from class.

Yeah, as long as it doesn't backfire, like the Gap Red shit, where you have nice quality, fashion-forward stuff, but with an inflated price tag to match. If Gap kept those prices consistent with the rest of their stuff, they would be on to something.

it was smart to raise prices. if it fails, it's for other reasons. the majority of consumers judge quality by price. especially in the case of gap where they come into it expecting a certain substandard level of quality, only an inflated price tag will let them know they're getting something extra.