woman destroyed my denim

aitsuka

I would like to taper a pair of my jeans also, but i keep having a recurring nightmare that they'll destroy em somehow like yours...and i found out the tailor i go to in San Francisco messed up a taper job for someone else on this board. Gotta find a new tailor if I'm gonna do it.

BTW the more important issue HOW"S IT LOOK NOW? does it fit the way you want it?

that does suck but the usually way to taper jeans is fromthe outseam. unless you specify very specifically you cant expect her to know. it can be done from the inseam but you must be explicit.

but how do they look? if they look good, i wouldn't worry. your jeans are still made from narrow loom denim after all.

i was about to pick up a pair of selvedge jeans and get them shortened.. I was worried about them not cutting it properly.. is there soemthing I should say to the tailor to keep the selvedge line? Dont want them to screw it up.. can any tailor do it or do I need a special DENIM tailor? Thanks

i was about to pick up a pair of selvedge jeans and get them shortened.. I was worried about them not cutting it properly.. is there soemthing I should say to the tailor to keep the selvedge line? Dont want them to screw it up.. can any tailor do it or do I need a special DENIM tailor? Thanks

it would be extremely unlikely that anything would happen to the selvage line while hemming jeans. a matter to consider is how the hem will be stitched. i don't know where you are, but there are few places in the US that have union specials.

there is a standing offer from zk19879874 to chainstitch hems for free if you pay shipping in the "chainstitching in DC" thread.

this guy was having his jeans tapered--------making the leg opening smaller by making the leg width skinnier from say, the knee down. this is typically done from the outseam where the selvage hangs out. to preserve the selvage line, one would have to taper the inseam.

you are talking about shortening the leg, the selvage line above the area where the tailor cuts it will be unaffected.

umm... i meant DC as in Washington, DC, US capitol.

:)

traintracks has nothing to do with selvedge

true, all you need is a busted seam. i guess i had imagined that with the taper, the tailor had cut the excess fabric out, leaving behind either a mess that would result in irregular traintrack, or leaving nothing, ergo no tracks.

yeah I should've told her not to cut my selvedge off, I guess my overconfidence in her led to my demise. i thought she knew what she was doing since the ad on her storefront window said "experts in alteration".

the look on my lees 101z is lot better and more to what I want. It just the selvedge i am at loss of words. my slr is broken so pics won't be coming anytime soon

wonder where she kept my selvedge after cutting it? I want it back.

You never know. You might need that bit of fabric to get into denim-heaven.

you know what, she probly gave it to her son who is a huge denimhead and a member of SF and now the son gots that shit hanging on his wall for decoration.

Maybe the son used the long selvage she kept from you as a wallet chain. Wow a wallet chain with just the selvage hanging to the wallet instead of a chain. that would look so pimp & u know it.

the reason why a tailor would taper from the selvedge side is that the other seam is usually more complex. if you look at both sides you can see the difference, the selvedge side is usually a single simple stitch and the opposite side is a folded double stitch. thats the reason why a tailor (not knowing that the selvedge is anything special) would do it that way.

you can taper the other side too (usually inner seam I think..?), but its harder and more time consuming.

Nope not at all. It is like taking your car to get an oil change, and never explicitly stating that you want it done differently than the overwhelming standard, for some very odd, excusable, unforeseen reason.

As for whether or not she is an "expert tailor", I do not think you should let this be indicative of her tailoring skills, only her mind reading ones. There is no reason for any tailor to assume that this edge of fabric on the inside of jeans is ohh so important to you.