im doing a new denim project (not what you think)

awwsheeet

Im making a website for all those people who dont want to search thru superfuture. i hope i have ya'll blessing on this. I want to inform people of the terminology and the brands, the care steps that go with selvedge and raw and dry denim. I want links to brands. links to care tips. lists of terms and most of all here where you guys come in

PICS. semi artsey semi hip pics of denim. i was hoping for 800x600 and up. let me know if anyone wants to contribute. i posted this on hypebeast and i got alot of good stuff and alot of bape and LRG jeans. i was hoping for something ....you know...more superfuture. ill tell you right now...the name of the site is rawselvedge.com

im real proud of the URL...sadly there isnt much content but the work is done. i need the pics. ill give photo credit if you wish and if you dont want photo credit thats ok too

[email protected]

I was interested in making a sort of denim website, I'm just too drained from work. I was thinking something more on the lines of a way for people to have their collections, post measurements, and post crap loads of pics of the "evolution of their denim." Would be really nice if it could somehow be integrated into the forums, or linked somehow. I wanted to call it colorfalling or some variation of that :P Or did it pop into my mind because a japanese site of that name already exists?

I figured that people are pretty lazy though, and people would rather post their pics in a 30 page thread so I kinda shelved the idea :P May do something just for the development experience if I ever get the time though.

I don't know why I went off rambling though...

You should just post something on wikipedia, why bother with domains and hosting and such?

there was a brief attempt at somethign like this, but i found that collating the info in the forum (even simply working with the links in the encyclopedia) would have taken half a year easily. this assume completeness of details, of course. things like mills, looms, ring-ring, dyes, weaves etc.

it would require a whole team of people willing to contribute their time to a wiki to make it work...

of course if (from the look of your frontpage) you're just looking for the layman's terminology and a hypebrands guide, that would be much easier. but i tried to sweep the forums...and it was too crazy.

Much of the joy comes from searching, reading, and learning. If you're not interested enough to do some research on here then why even bother?

yes but not everyone has the time you and me have for this. shoudl they be denied? why if i can explain to someone why you wear jeans for 6 months before you wash them or what the difference between julian red's and true religon is....or if i showed them the difference from buying evisu on the street on price and atrium. woudlnt it be all worth it?

superfuture is filled with naysayers as like any elite top tier specialize website. talk about benz in bimmer world. hondas at vwvortex. truereligons in superfuture. go to supreme nyc and talk about bape. go to bape and talk about LRG. its all the same. if i can help one person. if i can answer one question. it woudl be worth it.

i mean theres a whole grip of people in multi colored sheep uniform below 10st (nyc)....they are all going to get older and want higher end shit. might as well start them off now..

Im making a website for all those people who dont want to search thru superfuture. i hope i have ya'll blessing on this. I want to inform people of the terminology and the brands, the care steps that go with selvedge and raw and dry denim. I want links to brands. links to care tips. lists of terms and most of all here where you guys come in

PICS. semi artsey semi hip pics of denim. i was hoping for 800x600 and up. let me know if anyone wants to contribute. i posted this on hypebeast and i got alot of good stuff and alot of bape and LRG jeans. i was hoping for something ....you know...more superfuture. ill tell you right now...the name of the site is rawselvedge.com

im real proud of the URL...sadly there isnt much content but the work is done. i need the pics. ill give photo credit if you wish and if you dont want photo credit thats ok too

[email protected]

pls contact us!

www.cultizm.com

in the past ive found horriblyjollyjix blog real helpful on all things denim, respect for him. Creating a website is a nice idea, but wouldnt it take fewer man hours overall for each individual to just do the superfuture search on a specific topic than have a couple of guys collating everything and working hard for ages? I dunno but its interesting. I find superfuture really helpful and id welcome any other site on denim, its only all the silly threads that make searching for something so time consuming, Its good that people nip useless threads in the bud because its another step to making searches less labourious. I expect your website will have less chaff but ultimately less info, go for it though.

This thread would be useful for someone wanting to create their own website in the future, I presume you couldnt find anything so you started a thread.

I like the overall layout, although I do think the gallery could afford some thumbnailing, as you want casual browsers to be further enticed to explore. Also, be very careful about your terminology, just know that if it can be nit-picked, it will. And finally, I think you should include a section on washing. Maybe show before/after pics along with wash/wear history. Just a thought. Otherwise, keep up the good work!

the positive reinforcement makes me want to work that much harder!!!

as you can imagine its a huge undertaking to collect pics and terms and write and everything so its good people are looking.

i jsut want to assist people from buying shit jeans like seven and truereligon. god..if i can help one person out id be happy

The front page looks great...But there are a couple things I noticed right away in my short visit.

-definately agree with thumbnails. You need to make the Pics section more enticing and this will help. As we all know, even the sight of a small square of denim will excite the average head more than "dior new" in ugly letters.

-What the fuck is the "Starbucks of denim"? That phrasing has to go.

-In you definition of RAW, you refer to it as having a "dark wash", if this site is really trying to inform people of details, you need to explain that Raw in the traditional sense reffers to being "unwashed", versus "one wash" which is still often a really dark wash.

These are just some thoughts from a 5 minute breeze through the site at work. The main point I make though is this: If your going to present yourself as some sort of educator or "authority" (not sure if that is your intent) you need to get your facts straight in a concise and easy to understand manner. There is nothing worse than unreliable, poorly edited information. This is one of the reasons that true scholars and educators are as distrustful as they are excited by the internet's potential as a research tool.

Keep that shit up though...It's bound to get better with time, feedback, and consistent updates...

• 3 weeks later...

please correct the term hem in your definition section. Your explanation is wrong. Where two pieces of fabric come together, that's a seam. Your pic is showing the seam allowance, which happens to be the fabrics selfedge. Hem is the finished bottom edge of any garment.

I only took a quick look. putting aside my belief that if someone wants to learn about something they should put in the work to learn the details, here's what i think.

The interface itself looks very crisp. good job. yet, it really seems like a pretty face with no substance. The terms and info sections read like the type of thing you'd put on a posterboard for a 10th grade science project.

its a nice idea for a website, but if you want to be a definitive site for people to learn from, you need to actually give good detailed information.

keep up the hard work.

constructive critisism is fine. calling my side project a 10th grade poster board is not ok

if you havent realized yet that alot of people dont like comming to superfuture cause alot of you guys are jerks...THUSLY why i made this site.

im not going to dumb down the fact that youre snobs. im not a copyrighter nor even an english major. im not going to change and your (the collective your) not going to change. so im doing the best i can to fill it as i go along. the project just began and im working on it. you wanna contact me email me or something as i dont like comming to superfuture..

and im just being honest.

--eric

if anyone wants to write the content for terms and Care or anything with this....let me know. ill give you credit....put it on yoru resume...whatever you want. but if i do it..its going to be slow and steady and filled with mistakes that ill change and stuff.

good look on the hem...thing i totally missed that