Levi’s trucker jacket authenticity verification request…

Jimbolina

Would you folks kindly peruse this posting and see if you think this particular trucker is authentic?

I was given some pause when I noted the (stamped Levi’s) donut buttons, the rivet (vs bar tack) on each sleeve and no side hand pockets. This jacket has the origin printed on the tag as China, as I also believe the jackets featuring these assorted details would be on a more truly vintage example, and made in the USA.

I also say all that as I understand those more ‘vintage’ elements were all eliminated in the more current (late ‘80s, on) lineup.

Could this be a typical, single-year production matter, an anomaly, or outright fake?

Your thoughts, and thanks…!

AA4D21E7-5B30-4E45-A864-9398BD6E9DFA.jpeg

9FBFC329-9892-42AD-BBF8-160C528EA244.jpeg

AFA5CC0B-BCCC-48BA-9547-96DA87415BF9.jpeg

It’s either a fake or a (probably worthless) Chinese made Type III with hybrid elements such as donut buttons and riveted sleeves. If you like it, then buy it but make sure you don’t overpay, thinking you’ve got a valuable rare item.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies!

My sense was indeed, it certainly isn’t a valuable jacket, just odd. Frankly, I rather like the donut buttons, and those sleeve rivets, but certainly don’t want to throw money away.

The asking price is about $45.00, with the option of an offer. I just may see where that pricing margin is, based on these conversations.

My other real concern is should I actually get this, am I asking for a rip-off jacket that is NOT well made, and would essentially fall apart with regular wear?

Again, your input is valuable and well considered…

Where I am living in the US, even at this point in the overinflated vintage market, I come across vintage, made in USA Type III jackets somewhat regularly in vintage stores for between $35-75 depending on condition. As such, I wouldn’t pay $45 for a non vintage jacket personally, but again, value is subjective.

If you’re looking for a piece you’d plan to resell or show off to vintage denim collectors, this isn’t a good choice. But if you just want something to wear and find the unique details of this piece make it worth it to you, then don’t let us dissuade you!

As for durability, between a new-ish Chinese made jacket and a 40+ year old vintage one, I might still give a slight edge to the vintage one, but that’s only because I know the denim will hold up. If the denim of the jacket you’re looking at is too flimsy it might wear through the elbows or tear a seam sooner than a vintage jacket would. But I am just speculating, and have no idea what sort of fabric is on the jacket you have.

Edited by chicote