How many Misfits tees have there been?

eastcoastrider27

smiths yes, pixies no. overrated imo

american indie rock? superchunk

my bloody valentine is also up there, 90's alternative in general for me was very formative in the way i listen to music nowadays

MBV is my shit too .. Loveless, enough said. Been listenin to Wine and Ecstacy lately too.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

smiths yes.

pixies yes

another 10 years and that won't even be in question.

every other band names pixies as an influence these days.

is that a good thing?

look at all the crap thats out now compared to then. I had a theory that if it wasn't for nirvana (and they admittedly are pixies ripoffs) they would not be so many shitty bands now. listen to puddle of mud or nickelback, all nirvana wannabes...

Warsaw's stuff was great, and I typically avoid splitting hairs there and consider that a part of Joy Division's output.

As for New Order, come on! You do realize that the band would've gone on to sound like that regardless of whether or not Ian was alive, right? And, in their own right, NO are just as important to a particular genre's flowering as JD were. How crazy is it that the same core group of three-four men are responsible for the explosion of two entire, near-separate genres of music?

I agree that the Who helped to form the template for punk, but the sad fact is that it is that template that screws up a lot of punk rock for me... way too much energy thrown into looking cool and acting a certain way, and not enough time put in crafting a really good album or song. The Stooges, now there is a band I can feel comfortable praising,

in terms of influencing punk.

I can let Zep fly by, too, for their contributions to metal, although I still think they get far too much credit. There are so many unknown bands from the same era that were fifteen times as heavy as Zep, they just didn't happen to have the looks nor the financial backing.

Oneman made me rethink my Led Zep choice. It has been replaced my Black Sabbath.

is that a good thing?

look at all the crap thats out now compared to then. I had a theory that if it wasn't for nirvana (and they admittedly are pixies ripoffs) they would not be so many shitty bands now. listen to puddle of mud or nickelback, all nirvana wannabes...

to blame nirvana or the fucking pixies(?) for puddle of mud or nickleback is ridiculous.

but "blame" them for radiohead or modest mouse or arcade fire or weezer...

but nickleback?

c'mon.

thats like blaming rites of spring for fall out boy

or blaming faith no more for limp bizkit

or something

to blame nirvana or the fucking pixies(?) for puddle of mud or nickleback is ridiculous.

but nickleback?

c'mon.

or something

Great points.

But on a related note, has anyone heard the Fall Out Boy cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart? It's possibly the worst thing I've ever heard. They also cover Start Today apparently, but I haven't bothered trying to hear that.

but nickleback?

c'mon.

or something

you're missing the correlation i put forth. i'm not saying that puddle of mud or nickelback sound like nirvana, or even trying to piece together origins of music subgenres, what i'm saying is that without pixies----> nirvana, there would probably be a lot less kids playing music nowadays, the whole grunge thing allowed everyone to play guitar in their garage and feel no problem with that. thus the birth of a million of shitty bands.

rites of spring for fall out boy would better be related to blink 182 or green day as the cause, and faith no more whom i love i blame for the entire rap/rock genre.

just my reasoning.

nirvana are definitely responsible for all the shitty post-grunge alternative rock acts that plague modern radio. there's no way you couldn't trace their lineage back to the half-assed stomp and whine of kurt and co.

nirvana, now there's a fucking overrated band. they only get the acclaim they get because they were the first grunge band to break bigtime- since when did popularity and an ability to effect change in the mainstream equal great music? i don't care if a band is a cultural force, mass culture, for the most part, is for surface-skimmers.

fuck them for plagiarizing killing joke, and kurt for being a total pussy when it came down to owning up to it. and then, for fuck's sake, dave grohl goes on to play drums on killing joke's comeback record because the two buried the hatchet? i want to bury a hatchet in grohl's geeky little face.

now that i'm done ranting...

33018351_l.jpg

Warsaw's stuff was great, and I typically avoid splitting hairs there and consider that a part of Joy Division's output.

As for New Order, come on! You do realize that the band would've gone on to sound like that regardless of whether or not Ian was alive, right? And, in their own right, NO are just as important to a particular genre's flowering as JD were. How crazy is it that the same core group of three-four men are responsible for the explosion of two entire, near-separate genres of music?

I agree that the Who helped to form the template for punk, but the sad fact is that it is that template that screws up a lot of punk rock for me... way too much energy thrown into looking cool and acting a certain way, and not enough time put in crafting a really good album or song. The Stooges, now there is a band I can feel comfortable praising,

in terms of influencing punk.

I can let Zep fly by, too, for their contributions to metal, although I still think they get far too much credit. There are so many unknown bands from the same era that were fifteen times as heavy as Zep, they just didn't happen to have the looks nor the financial backing.

i think you and i are on the same musical thought onecult

but nickleback?

c'mon.

or something

what's wrong with limp bizkit?

nirvana are definitely responsible for all the shitty post-grunge alternative rock acts that plague modern radio. there's no way you couldn't trace their lineage back to the half-assed stomp and whine of kurt and co.

nirvana, now there's a fucking overrated band. they only get the acclaim they get because they were the first grunge band to break bigtime- since when did popularity and an ability to effect change in the mainstream equal great music? i don't care if a band is a cultural force, mass culture, for the most part, is for surface-skimmers.

fuck them for plagiarizing killing joke, and kurt for being a total pussy when it came down to owning up to it. and then, for fuck's sake, dave grohl goes on to play drums on killing joke's comeback record because the two buried the hatchet? i want to bury a hatchet in grohl's geeky little face.

33018351_l.jpg

LMAO. i would actually wear that. that is fucking hilarious. SUCH AN RETARDED DESIGN omg!!

you're missing the correlation i put forth. i'm not saying that puddle of mud or nickelback sound like nirvana, or even trying to piece together origins of music subgenres, what i'm saying is that without pixies----> nirvana, there would probably be a lot less kids playing music nowadays, the whole grunge thing allowed everyone to play guitar in their garage and feel no problem with that. thus the birth of a million of shitty bands.

That's absurd. You could say the same thing about the Beatles, or the Ramones, or even Led Zeppelin.

i dont really see it like that on nirvana.

definately not the greatest band ever but i think they were not quite as bad as all that. but i actually heard them before they got all "cultural force" and i was older than 4 or 5 when they broke. i judged them as is, before history wrote its take. i liked them enough then. i like them more now. so maybe my first person experience is less valid than what has been said/ written/ told/ read/ believed since.

who knows.

dave grohl however is lame.

(since Joy Division/New Order has been mentioned...)

Anyone care to help me identify a band...

I dont kno the name, or song title or album... On my work comp, it comes up as Joy Division.

My boss sed its hidden tracks from Unknown Pleasures, but Ive never heard these songs, and Ive played that album back to back a bunch.

1st song starts off as...

"Wake up, grab your bags, Californias burning to the ground!

Wake up, grab your things, you and I are leaving Los Angeles!"

My other boss (whos a member on here) sed that its NOT Joy Division...

So if ANYONE can solve this puzzle, will be very grateful...

this is so ridiculous it hurts. kids have been playing guitars and making shitty bands for more than 15 years. garage rock is not new. there's always going to be a band or musician that makes kids wanna play.

that said:

1. David Bowie

2. Velvet Underground

3. Beatles

4. Joy Division

5. Beach Boys