rent $$$

Guest bikesearcher

anyone got a spare NYC room/apartment for a few weeks? ive just about used up all my brownie points with freinds in NYC and homeless from next sunday. craigslist is a fucking joke and every other place advertised in this city is extortion and aesthetically challenged. i have 2 other freinds who are also looking for a place. BTW i'm thinking about adding superlistings for supertalk? would anyone use it...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone got a spare NYC room/apartment for a few weeks? ive just about used up all my brownie points with freinds in NYC and homeless from next sunday. craigslist is a fucking joke and every other place advertised in this city is extortion and aesthetically challenged. i have 2 other freinds who are also looking for a place. BTW i'm thinking about adding superlistings for supertalk? would anyone use it...

an organised superlisting would be a great addition i think. would be much easier to browse than supermarket and would most likely make ppl buy/sell more stuff

$1500 for a one bedroom in soho, nyc... with Kate Hudson, Drew Barrymore, & Famka Jensen as neighbors...

I'd pay $1500 to live next door to some minor celebs like that, seeing as though I pay $1000 a now and my neighbors are all wacky Korean people, mainly senior citizens, and some prude girls. There's also a strange combination aroma of McD's frying in progress and kimchi and air pollution that floats through my windows, imagine waking up to that.

I could live like a damn king with the amount of money I spend on rent in NYC... I could have a whole camp ground of mobile homes in Indiana... But the fact of the matter is I would be in the middle of bumble-f Indiana....!!! I love my 24hour

bo-deg-a's! I love the fact I can pick up my cellphone and order food at 5am, along with weed, & a six pack from a car service!!!

I don't live in NYC but I can pick up my cell phone and order all of the above at anytime. I live 30 minutes from Dallas and my rent for a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom house is $550 a month and this includes garbage pickup and monthly landscaping and best of all, it is quiet when I lay down to sleep at night. I can afford to live by myself with all the room one could ever want and it is actually possible for me to save some money. I am not knocking you guys though, if living in NYC is that important to you then by all means continue, I just could never make someone else rich paying 1500k a month for an apartment that is the size of one of my walk-in closets.

word... I'm not sure it's that much of an importance with me, more of a comfort... Since I grew up here, it's where I feel most at home. Throughout my travels I did love London and the people, but that's even more pricey! I love the diversity of NYC and the style of people in general... Granted it's fast pace and can be impersonal at times, but that doesn't bother me.

My rent's $690 for a two-bedroom apt. in the Bronx, a 5-10 minute walk away from Fordham University, the Bronx Zoo, Botanical Gardens, Little Italy- nice neighborhood.

The building was built maybe 10 years ago, which means it is a baby compared to most of the 100+ year old buildings in NYC. We have 24 hr. security (which actually ends up being 20 hours most days, but hey...) and a laundry room in the basement.

I'm 10 minutes away from the 2/5 subway line, so I can make it into the east or west side of manhattan in about 30-45 minutes. Old italian ladies in the 'hood give me jars of sauce sometimes.

Basically, fuck Brooklynphiles, but please don't come gentrify my hometown. We still know how to shoot.

My rent's $690 for a two-bedroom apt. in the Bronx, a 5-10 minute walk away from Fordham University, the Bronx Zoo, Botanical Gardens, Little Italy- nice neighborhood.

The building was built maybe 10 years ago, which means it is a baby compared to most of the 100+ year old buildings in NYC. We have 24 hr. security (which actually ends up being 20 hours most days, but hey...) and a laundry room in the basement.

I'm 10 minutes away from the 2/5 subway line, so I can make it into the east or west side of manhattan in about 30-45 minutes. Old italian ladies in the 'hood give me jars of sauce sometimes.

Basically, fuck Brooklynphiles, but please don't come gentrify my hometown. We still know how to shoot.

That sounds like a pretty sweet setup for that price. Much more realistic for someone of my means, NYC is great, I used to do contract work of Ernst and Young in Manhattan and I loved the atomosphere and can appreciate the appeal. I just could not pay the price to live there in good conscience.

I live in a huge apartment on the Lower East Side in Manhattan. The total rent for 4 of us is $4200, and I pay $1050. It's approx 1,800 square feet... we have the entire floor of the building, and we have a washer and dryer in our apartment. Plus two very big full bathrooms, one of which has this crazy bathtub in it!

YA1p3fxgPL4mMfdN.jpg

i want to move in with you guys..

is paying so much $$$ really worth it for you guys living in NYC???

It depends on what you want to get out of where you live, really. 5 years ago I wouldn't exchange NYC for another city in the US for sure, and in the world possibly. Now I'm done clubbing, I've travelled to Europe about 20 times, I can piss on the whole fake hipster/rock scene, I think that the art/gallery scene is bullshit as well, and you can do a lot of shopping and rent cool movies online these days. With that in mind, I am warming up more and more to an idea of moving to San Francisco, which is still a great city, but smaller, cleaner, with a much better climate, and friendlier people. I've had enough grit and pressure, now I want peace.

i want to move in with you guys..

That is reasonable but I just cannot live with 3 other people I don't care how big the house is and even if I could...sharing a bathroom is not an option for me at all. If you don't mind communal living though it sounds like your place is very nice indeed.

$475 + all utilies for a one bedroom duplex apartment with an upstairs " attic " with 2 more rooms that dont qualify as bedrooms - though would work fine for that .

maybe children's rooms ..

somewhat ghetto location - on a bus line , but clean all new furnace waterheater and brand new water lines etc - everything completely redone before I moved in ..

view of a lake from top floor ..

pretty small .. 15x20 main bdrm 17 x 19 living room ..

• 2 weeks later...

im going to school in Milwaukee and currently living on campus. $1600 a month for guys. the house has 4 bedroom one bath and a rediculous amount of shitty repairs done throughout. and one of the "bedrooms" is 7x8 feet. i think it was a closet at some point. right across the street from the main campus area, so thats a plus.

My apartment goes for 800euros a month... 3 bedrooms 1 bathroom. I pay 267 euros a month utilities not included. I don't find it that expensive but last year I was in another apartment with the same layout and payed 220 a month... rent prices go up each year here which sucks. But modena doesn't cost half as much as other cities in italy, like milan, florence or even bologna..

It depends on what you want to get out of where you live, really. 5 years ago I wouldn't exchange NYC for another city in the US for sure, and in the world possibly. Now I'm done clubbing, I've travelled to Europe about 20 times, I can piss on the whole fake hipster/rock scene, I think that the art/gallery scene is bullshit as well, and you can do a lot of shopping and rent cool movies online these days. With that in mind, I am warming up more and more to an idea of moving to San Francisco, which is still a great city, but smaller, cleaner, with a much better climate, and friendlier people. I've had enough grit and pressure, now I want peace.

I too did consider SF, so I tried it for a bit, even worked out there. I couldnt take it anymore and came back.

I pay my folks 300 a month for a 1000+ sqfoot illegal apt in Queens with a backyard, its illegal cus the city deemed it illegal just last year, after 5 inspections within the last 30 years that my parents owned the building.

Location is not that bad, 10 minute walk to the R\V Train, 30 minute commute to 34th street. Grocery shopping sucks I usually have to pick up after work, fresh direct refuses delivery to where I live, but there are plenty of real thai, indian, mexican, argentinian restaurants. Neighborhood is full of weed dealers, meaning no crime, they gotta protect their clientele.

it's all well and good to sing the praises of the outerpoints of the bronx and brooklyn, but at the end of the day, who wants to have to pick up your groceries before you take the train home for 45 minutes? Certain amenities make neighborhoods more attractive to renters; make the neighborhoods better in some cases, think about it, would you REALLY want to live in williamsburg circa 1992?? Sure, there were no "hipsters" (whatever that means), but you had to lock the door behind you and not leave till it was light again. Parts of brooklyn are seeing huge rent hikes taking them to manhattan-like price levels, but a lot of those neighborhoods offer manhattan-like amenities as well... it's a trade off, but there is definite value in establishment. after all, why move to NYC if you can't live like your in NYC?

it's all well and good to sing the praises of the outerpoints of the bronx and brooklyn, but at the end of the day, who wants to have to pick up your groceries before you take the train home for 45 minutes? Certain amenities make neighborhoods more attractive to renters; make the neighborhoods better in some cases, think about it, would you REALLY want to live in williamsburg circa 1992?? Sure, there were no "hipsters" (whatever that means), but you had to lock the door behind you and not leave till it was light again. Parts of brooklyn are seeing huge rent hikes taking them to manhattan-like price levels, but a lot of those neighborhoods offer manhattan-like amenities as well... it's a trade off, but there is definite value in establishment. after all, why move to NYC if you can't live like your in NYC?

huzzah, written like a true New Faker!

there are plenty of supermarkets, grocery stores, health food stores, and specialty shops in the outer boroughs, and finding them is sure, a little bit more difficult than stumbling into the fifth starbucks within a five mile radius, but it isn't impossible. in other words, we're not all starving for nourishment and picking half-eaten Burger King out of dumpsters when we tire of lugging groceries home on the subway. you basically just asserted that there is only edible food to be found in manhattan, and all the outer boroughs are wastelands. you seriously, seriously need to just shut the fuck up and either get educated or continue living out your ill-informed fantasies quietly.

yours truly,

a concerned new yorker who knows better than you.

huzzah, written like a true New Faker!

there are plenty of supermarkets, grocery stores, health food stores, and specialty shops in the outer boroughs, and finding them is sure, a little bit more difficult than stumbling into the fifth starbucks within a five mile radius, but it isn't impossible. in other words, we're not all starving for nourishment and picking half-eaten Burger King out of dumpsters when we tire of lugging groceries home on the subway. you basically just asserted that there is only edible food to be found in manhattan, and all the outer boroughs are wastelands. you seriously, seriously need to just shut the fuck up and either get educated or continue living out your ill-informed fantasies quietly.

yours truly,

a concerned new yorker who knows better than you.

You know the level of education is shit in [insert red state] when they can't even teach geography properly, Brooklyn and the Bronx are part of NYC.

Williamsburg was never even as bad as most people make it out to be, in 92 I was always around there, I never ran from no Hassidics like the first hipsterds who moved in.

Williamsburg was hit or miss back in the days. I used to work there when i was in HS in 1987 and in certain areas (over by the river mostly) you would find discarded syringes and hookers galore at night. The northside was just a straight up Polish neighborhood with the southside being mostly Hasids and Puerto Ricans.

You know the level of education is shit in [insert red state] when they can't even teach geography properly, Brooklyn and the Bronx are part of NYC.

Williamsburg was never even as bad as most people make it out to be, in 92 I was always around there, I never ran from no Hassidics like the first hipsterds who moved in.

Yeessssssssss.