lets talk watches

poopie boy

as who and ryan said Lum-tec is something to consider they have great watches for the buck. If your looking for something military themed/inspired also look into marathon watches and also seiko & citizen has alot of good picks

do you care about what movement the watch is at all? auto or quartz? also whats the max size of the watch you were considering? also whats your budget?

I am very interested in the Lum-Tec, very up my alley so to speak.

As far as movement goes, I dont care one way or another, I am open to suggestions, as I am a total newb as far as watch knowledge goes. I own a nice formal Movado, but as far as general/casual watches, I have no clue.

Auto or quartz doesnt really matter to me either, I could go either way. I know quartz relies on battery power while automatic relies on wrist movements, but I am unsure as to why one is more prefferable then the other. I know the merit of a quality watch designer is in its movements,so I am guessing because quartz is so basic and widely known, its kind of frowned upon by afficianados?

Max watch size I am open to as well.

As far as budget goes, I would ideally like to keep it under $1000

An automatic or manual movement has to be made out of little bits of metal by someone with steady hands and a lot of patience. A quartz movement is a microchip and are turned out by their millions.

RIP Nicolas Hayek.

He changed the watch world for good.

A Grand Seiko? or maybe the new Citizen Mechanical?

http://home.watchprosite.com/?show=forumpost&fi=17π=3871941&ti=618011

cool, hadn't seen that new citizen line. but i'm thinkin about a sub. or a vintage datejust. i dont have any rolexes...

An automatic or manual movement has to be made out of little bits of metal by someone with steady hands and a lot of patience. A quartz movement is a microchip and are turned out by their millions.

don't fool yourself - lots of mechanical movements are turned out by the millions without any human involvement. and at the pricepoint he's talking about, he's not getting and heirloom tourbillon. i think of mechanical vs quartz as a tradition vs modern thing. mechanical movements will never be as accurate as a quartz watch and they're not as convenient, but you get something tried and true that will theoretically last longer if you treat it right. also, though not a concern of his, if you're looking for high end, you're not gonna find much quartz.

kiya, where do you get your vintage rolexes? the usual suspects online or do you know a guy?

Email me: kiya [at] selfedge.com

want a new watch and looking for ideas...

my only parameters are:

-$5k max

-38mm case max

-no breitlings (unless you have a lead on a 1950's 806 AOPA)

-no IWCs

-no fashion watches

x2 for gurando seiko.

x2 for gurando seiko.

Not that much...many models under $5k.

One of my favorites is the SBGM003 for $4048 at Seiya's site. Super clean & classic with a blued GMT hand. Automatic.

I've been wearing my SBDB001 for over three years. Accuracy is not what is used to be (was + 1/2 sec per month, now +1.75 sec/month), but still love it. Spring Drive movt is still hypnotic after all these years.

Brad Pitt, that Seiko is cleannnnnnnnn and I think a 42mm would look a lot better. Do you have any other suggestions? I might be able to make a bigger investment since I have a full-time job now. I always wanted a Rolex, so that is why I am leaning towards a SKX007.

I guess I'll wear my Ticino Big Pilot more often now, but I hate how the crown always digs against my wrist (47mm is also a tad big but it still looks ok on my wrist). I swapped the flieger's OG metal band for a NATO strap and it was perfect. It looked and worked great for a $70 beater :(.

Anyone share their thoughts on Invicta?

I know the movements seem to vary widely depending on the model, but does anyone have a general opinion of them?

Some of their divers watches resonate with me, and for under $1000 they seem rather nice.

I bought one a while back because it was $70 on Amazon, and it feels like a $70 watch that's trying to be a Submariner. Think I only wore it a couple of times.

ericdw - would a Milgauss be in your range? I don't know if they can be had for less than $5k but otherwise it would tick the boxes.

thanks jonboy, but i really don't like the green tinted crystal and an orange lighting hand.

i think i've decided on a gmt 16750 pepsi with a matte dial. i found a great one, just need to try to talk the guy down a little. if that doesn't work, i'm gonna kop a perfect 16710. really want the matte dial though

dis - i think it's an ETA 2836-2, the 7750 is a chrono i think

sorry man, spending too much as it is...

meeting a guy to buy this tomorrow night.

Rolex GMT Master 16750, matte dial, all original, from 1979.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ian.whelan/16750ForSale?authkey=Gv1sRgCJmugoTN-_W94AE#

started looking a couple days ago and this fell into my lap. worked out the price, and even got permission from my wife.

so fuckin excited.

What's the movement on the DA36? Valjoux 7750?

its a ETA 2836-2, valjoux 7750 is a chronograph movement

Thanks again guys, will avoid them and keep looking into the suggested brands in my $1000 or under price range

i really think lum-tec fits the bill nicely for what you are looking for or a Marathon.

Or look into Citizen Promaster and Attesa line. Not automatics but they are great watches since most are eco-drive (solar) and are atomic so they are very accurate.