superconfessional

She's Mexican FEMALE with a strong well-rounded application, that's why she could get into Princeton w/ a 1820 SAT. All else considered though, if she was Chinese, Korean, Indian, or White, her odds would have been much lower IMO. The number of Mexicans going to college, let alone ivy leagues is atrociously low. Especially females.

Basically if you're Chinese, Korean, Indian, or White from mid-upper middle class upbringing, you're gonna need a good story/something different to stand-out from the crowd and a solid SAT/GPA. That's why the UC system is basically 60-70% Asian now. Its filled w/ all the non-ivy level Asian highschooler who didn't know how to differentiate themselves from the pack. In college, all my Chinese, Korean, Indian friends had that something "extra" to stand-out; either i.e. rich-parents, east-coast boarding school, math olympiads, academic decathalon national winners, top-level research, national level excellence in sports, world class pianist.

But if you took a look at the other minorities, i.e. Blacks, Hispanics, very few were are at that level IMO. Ivy's take them because they need to round out their diversity profile for US News ranking, etc. Especially for engineering, sciences, and business programs its basically a sea of white and asians, where the competition is more competitive. Other minorities tended to do social-sciences, bacholers of arts where its less competitive.

However, if you are a Hispanic/Black w/ top-class credentials, you basically can write your ticket to anywhere you wish; simple supply/demand. That's just the reality for college admissions, but that don't necessarily reflect the racial disparity that exists in the working world where it really counts IMO.

do we need to bring out that wall street journal article again djrajio?

Salutatorian of my brother's graduating class who had a GPA of around ~4.3-4.4 (?) got into Princeton.

With an 1820 on her SAT.

I'm pretty sure it was because she was also a Mexican female, so combined with good grades and some good looking clubs, she had that edge. But listen, to say SAT scores don't matter at all is ridiculous. There's some point where the score carries a meaning and there is a very big difference between a 1900 and a 2150, one big enough to sway opinions and open doors. I'd say applying to Princeton with a 1600 and she wouldn't have made it, hands down.

what's her name? you can pm me.

I got into Princeton when I was applying back in '99. I had the highest score on math, physics, chemistry on my SAT and SAT2 and junior year in hs (my first year of school in US) I still took esl. I think you have to get a good person for an interview and have some extracurricular activities (I had sports and some science clubs). I was also poor and lived in NJ which maybe helped.

I was also poor and lived in NJ which maybe helped.

i always thought the rumor was that if you lived in NJ your chances to get in declined because they wanted out of state and international students.

maybe my parents were just helping me cope :)

haha

i always thought the rumor was that if you lived in NJ your chances to get in declined because they wanted out of state and international students.

maybe my parents were just helping me cope :)

haha

that's generally true...apply from utah, your chances will be high!

sometimes i have a hard time hearing what people are saying at a crowded bar.

i definitely shoved a few pairs of shoes in my mouf after this one though.

some guy came up and asked me about my tats, then pointed at his tribal sleeve (.........).

him: "this is a cover up tat"

me: "oh yeah, you should totally cover that up"

him: "no, i covered a shitty tattoo with this design"

me: "it's okay, i have friends with shitty tribal tats like those too. it will cover up"

oops.

^ there are girls who speak in that perfect frequency where their voices completely blend with all the background noises at a bar. and i could never tell them that's why i have a difficult time understanding what they're saying.

^ there are girls who speak in that perfect frequency where their voices completely blend with all the background noises at a bar. and i could never tell them that's why i have a difficult time understanding what they're saying.

q to the ft.

oops.

chump had it coming

that's why i stay away from the ink

i confess i have the same problem, though (hearing, not corny tattoos)

my friends say - and sometimes i wonder if - it's because i blast my ipod at loud and even full volume a lot of the time

there may be some merit to this

i think part of the problem is that i'm at least a head taller than most people, so while sound travels directly from other people's mouths to their ears, i'm sort of above things and thus can't hear as well

dunno, probably shouldn't blast the ipod either way, but it's just criminal to listen to certain tracks at low volume

My first super confessional! I been active on this site for a little while and I've noticed alot of guys wearing awsome outfits and when I notice that they are wearing size 28 and 29 it makes me feel soo fat!... I turned 20 in february and at that time i was 5'11 and weighed 135 and now I weigh 155 and i've also gone up a pants size or two. I went from a 32 to a 34 and being that size on this site makes me feel fuckin HUGE! :(

Yeah like i got alot of friends that are my same height and some of them are about the same weight and yet they can all wear size 29s and shit and i gotta wear a 34 to get them buttoned. Maybe i have wide hips??

yeah just gaining a bit of weight makes me feel fat as fuck ... i was doing good for a while riding my bike a few miles a day. And then i slacked off. I used to ride like 25 miles a day like 2 years ago but then i moved back home from college and quit riding all together... maybe i should get back into it to shed some pounds

haha im the fattest one here.. as usual

@

5'9'' 160. and counting*

FATTY MC FAT FAT.

*leaving for my 33-day korea/japan/china trip in just under 12 hours.

As it turns out, I found out today from my older brother that I'm not going to Florida/Disneyworld with the rest of my family...and my mom invited my aunt & cousin on my father's side to come, but my aunt's dad is sick so they're not coming (and I found that out from reading a random e-mail). I'm trying to cope with the disappointment by telling myself that I'd only be riding rollercoasters, taking pictures with people in animal suits, and paying for grossly overpriced merchandise...