Evolution of Leather Goods: Before and After Pictures

I chucked a coat of brown shoe polish on my Unlucky mid length... It's not "natural" anymore but if the leather is cracking (which mine was) and you don't have any mink oil, it's necessary. Personally, I think it looks better this way, it's got a nice shine and deep redish brown hue.

pics are a little outta focus, my lense is acting up.

obenaufs i ordered a few weeks ago came in last night, so decided to apply it to my GT's. i bought these just this past october, and i wear them almost everyday.

a0jgxg.jpg

first i gave em a little scrub with water and brush

10hj87l.jpg

then i took a little buddha break while they dried

344rtzq.jpg

started applying the obenaufs...wasn't really sure how much to use. i used a blow dryer as it recommends on the container.

o6xog9.jpg

after more blow dryer action, the finished product.

140w594.jpg

do you guys usually use a hair dryer to apply the obenaufs lp? i just put mine next to the chimney for half an hour and then applied it.

I do. First I heat the Obenauf's to liquid either quickly in microwave, or slowly on stove top, then apply liberally. It usually looks hazy (not fully absorbed) after drying no matter how well I work it in, so I get out a hair dryer and work to reheat / liquefy what is still on the surface little by little. You can definitely see it getting absorbed the with second heating, and this is also when the leather takes on a much darker appearance.

I'd never used the stuff before but I had read up on how people apply it on here and around the web. I didn't feel it was necessary to preheat the obenaufs as it pretty much melts if you put your finger in it, so I just dabbed my finger in it a bunch then used the blow dryer to help the leather really absorb it. You can practically see the leather eat it up while being blowdried. I only did one coat and then I got tired but I might do another tonight. The leather feels and looks waaay better.

I put some on my Sperrys last night just to see what would happen. They got REAL dark, and they look fucking awesome now. I'll post pics tonight.

i think all the heat is doing is just speeding up the process at which the leather absorbs it. opening the leather 'pores' with heat obviously makes them able to absorb at a much quicker rate, however i don't believe it is necessary in order to apply preservative. if you leave boots over night, i'm sure by morning the leather would have soaked up the majority of whatever was applied.